Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens vs Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Been to Les Arcs for the past 4 years, but fancy a change next year and was thinking of Val Thorens. Could anyone advise pro's and cons of Val Thorens, also if anyone has been to both resorts, which do you consider better, in terms of value / ski area / accommodation.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dsmart, If the weather is poor it's a long way to any trees in ValT. It's also ugly as sin but you do have access to relaible snow in a dodgy snow year and the 3V is worth skiing at least once in your life.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar wrote:
dsmart, If the weather is poor it's a long way to any trees in ValT. It's also ugly as sin but you do have access to relaible snow in a dodgy snow year and the 3V is worth skiing at least once in your life.

^^^ what he said - VT in crappy vis just doesn't have the range of options the les arcs has as well. But I'd much rather stick myself in La tania or c1650 and ski up to VT if you want too.

I staid in VT for the first time in December and whilst suffering due to closed pistes/areas and really crappy vis, I was disappointed in the signing / indication of what was open/closed - Signs at the bottom of the lift saying piste x open, when you get to the top piste x is closed and vice versa. On a sign in the centre called 'mountain infos' they seemed more interested in playing endless loops advertising the folie douce than telling you useful stuff like the weather and what 3v links were open. If you asked the lady in the lift hut for a list of 'what pistes had been bashed' then you couldn't take the print out with you.

By comparison I've been in les arcs where they've had a sign at the top of Bois de L'ours saying "long queues at the vanoise express, please return early"

VT struck me as overly chavvy too but then I guess it's aimed firmly at drunk stoodents..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Though I have skied in both places a fair amount and really like Les Arcs I cannot make any statement such as one is better than the other. They are just different.

Though VT is higher, the snow is often in poorer condition than Les Arcs with stones a little closer to the surface. Can not say I really noticed much difference in value for money, but feel that Les Arcs is a bit less expensive due to the ease at which you can nip down to Bourg st. Maurice (10 minute walk, 10 minute wait, 10 minutes on the funicular and you are in a fair size town). Accomodation is accomodation - you pays your money and you takes your choice. Clearly the 3Vs are a larger ski area, but both have excellent runs.

I also feel VT is the more isolated of the 3V resorts. Personally if I were going to the Belleville valley I would stay in Les Menuires, La mass and the links to the rest of the 3V are just a little more accessible.

If you feel like a change, have a change. You will not be disappointed.

John
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Overall I think the 3 valleys offers more variety and challenge than Paradiski area. It's close though and both are top 10 European areas. Don't think Val Thorens is the ideal base to get most out of 3 valleys. Better is Meribel or Mottaret. More central, more attractive, lower altitude for better sleeping, good range of accommodation, restaurants, bars. One proviso to that would be if visiting very late season, when higher altitude of Val T offers better snow. But then the place gets crowded.
Value wise I think Les Arcs slightly better than 3 valleys, though both relatively expensive. Both areas have wide variety of accommodation. Depends whether you prefer apartment, chalet, chalet hotel British style, French hotel, etc. For me, Espace Killy (staying in Val D'Isere base) beats the lot. That little bit more exciting, good lift system, less queuing, often better snow conditions...but definitely not cheap.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsmart, you need a change after 4 years!

VT is very prone to weather related lift restrictions and is also so high that you won't sleep.

Try to find/fund a place in Mottaret of Courchevel, or as others have said EK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27,

Re sleep my first experience of skiing was vt , the drink and sheeer tiredness got me to sleep
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
phillip33, that can work, but can be tough to sustain for a week, esp for those of us advanced in years for whom sleeplessness + hangover = not a happy bunny.

Altitude is a definite issue for some (me included)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really like Les Arc as far as French resorts go. If you've done Les Arc for 4 years VT is def worth trying, I've had some late season trips there and one early December trip when it was bleak, as others have said there are better bases in the 3V area. Depends what you're after and what level you're at both are larger linked areas than you can ski in a week piste wise-I was in Le Plagne/Les Arc last January and had some fantastic guided off piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We much preferred Les Arcs to Val Thorens/3 valleys. We found Val Thorens bleak (at New Year) and Meribel area slushy, got lost trying to find our way round the different bits of Courchevel but were getting quite tired by the time we got over there. Les menuires was described to us by the Neilson resort manager as the ugliest resort in the alps. Mottaret probably the best base to explore the whole area. We did only go to Val Thorens once and didn't have a great chalet experience so maybe my memories are clouded by that.

If you are looking for another large ski area maybe Portes du soleil would be worth considering. Haven't been there yet but it sounds more scenic than the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for your very useful comments & info. I think I'll def look at other options in 3v
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dsmart, don't know Les Arcs at all, but except for a very late season holiday I wouldn't choose VT, in the 3V. I'd probably choose either Mottaret for ease of access to stuff or - top choice - Courchevel 1650.

Depends what you're after, obviously. If sheer extent of pisted miles is a top priority for you, I'd second the suggestion of EK though there are also loads and loads of options offering a very different experience outside the big usines de ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
intermediate wrote:
For me, Espace Killy (staying in Val D'Isere base) beats the lot. That little bit more exciting,
Can I ask why you think EK is a bit more exciting? Is that from a skiing point of view?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
intermediate,
Quote:

Overall I think the 3 valleys offers more variety and challenge than Paradiski area. It's close though and both are top 10 European areas. Don't think Val Thorens is the ideal base to get most out of 3 valleys. Better is Meribel or Mottaret. More central, more attractive, lower altitude for better sleeping, good range of accommodation, restaurants, bars. One proviso to that would be if visiting very late season, when higher altitude of Val T offers better snow. But then the place gets crowded.
Seconded in every respect - bearing in mind that I'm an intermediate, largely on-piste, skier.

Quote:

For me, Espace Killy (staying in Val D'Isere base) beats the lot. That little bit more exciting, good lift system, less queuing, often better snow conditions.
Don't agree with this, though, for me it is the last choice of the three domaines. It's the least scenic, overall, and the least 'joined up' for the intermediate skier.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've not done a lot in the EK but I'm not a big fan, either. But as an alternative to Les Arcs, after quite a few holidays there, I think it might be better than VT. I feel some of the big domains are a bit wasted on the average skier, especially those not looking for a lot of off-piste action. As an average skier not looking for a lot of off-piste action there are quite a few places I'd prefer to go. In particular, if I didn't already have a place in France, I'd like to get to know the Dolomites resorts. That fantastically scenic, beautifully groomed Italian cruising stuff sounds most enjoyable. And the coffee is better and cheaper! Apart from a few hours in Cortina, I've not skied any of it, though I've driven round a little bit, on a largely non-skiing trip with friends.

Friends from here spent a day in the Courchevel valley last week, with friends who have a son working in Moutiers. They were a bit shocked at how busy it was, having been spoiled by skiing round the Espace Diamant on largely empty pistes for a week.
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

I've not done a lot in the EK but I'm not a big fan, either. But as an alternative to Les Arcs, after quite a few holidays there, I think it might be better than VT.
You're comparing apples and pears. Les Arcs (even just Les Arcs 1800, say) is arguably 'better' than VT on its own, and EK, as a large domaine, certainly has more to offer than VT alone. Similarly, the whole of the Espace Diamant, skied for a week - not that I've ever been there - is pretty much bound to offer more than skiing just the Courchevel valley for a day.

I find it difficult to understand those who would condemn the whole of the Three (Four) Valleys out of hand. I get endless pleasure there, and 'an average skier...not looking for a lot of off-piste action' describes me perfectly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy