Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FRANCE: PUY ST VINCENT 11/12

Poster: A snowHead
Hasn't snowed since 5 Jan and mainly blue sky days without a cloud in sight. Generally, all of the pistes starting on the upper reaches of the resort are in good condition from last nights grooming. Dropping down the fall line directly below the Pendine chair is scraped solid, hard-pack, get bounced around but its skiable. Heading down carmen is large moguls and again hard packed and scraped.

As drop down to mid-level some patches of ice are showing up and the odd rock is poking through - particularly on Bois De Coqs. Icy sections on the steeper parts of the reds Clos D'Aval and bergers have caused a few big skier & boarder wipe outs in the last few days. The pisteurs are doing a great job of maintaining the pistes and the north facing slopes are holding their base. But in some areas that catch all day sun, the snow has suffered from melt/freeze cycles. Particularly as get closer to 1400.

Off piste is more or less crud - even looking down to vallon de narreyoux. Only exception is probably well within the trees around the La Cretes run where theres a bit of softer stuff, but very much like spring skiing Madeye-Smiley

BUT.....0730 this morning the clouds started rolling in quickly from the north, which may indicate that some of the forecasts which are claiming snow tonight and through the weekend could be spot on Toofy Grin

[img]
PSV 1600 Centre looking to above Les Cretes Trees by sd20_10, on Flickr[/img]

Looking down to 1400 this morning can see the oasis of piste amongst the greenery Sad

[img]
La Crete Chair to PSV 1400 by sd20_10, on Flickr[/img][/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sd2010, thanks for the pics, getting me excited. Conditions look remarkably like same time last year, getting Salomon Lord skis for Christmas 2010 seems to have cursed me never to see powder again! Mind you we popped in to Puy whilst passing through last April and getting back down to 1600 was a wee bit tricky trying to avoid the slush lakes.
We are setting off from home early doors saturday, spending saturday night in La Grave and then to Puy mid-morning sunday ready to ski by lunchtime, can't wait.
Latest prediction seems to be for a wee bit of snow friday/saturday and another top up next week, would be nice if it happens.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philipb, gone clear sky again tonight unfortunately, but locals agree they're expecting snow fri through mon at moment.

Ref the lords - know feeling - but have been entertaining myself this week with seeing what I can actually get away with on my skis (112 waist) and been pleasantly surprised. Apart from almost overshooting the turnstile at 1400 one morning as couldn't get an edge in - not had too many oh *hit moments yet Toofy Grin

Hopefully next pics I take will be of it chucking down with snow!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sd2010, sounds like you've got the ideal skis for the Snowbizz slalom on saturday then!

Looking forward to those pics of fresh powder.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Conditions same as yesterday Sad But it has started snowing! Started off so light around 9 ish this morning that could count flakes as wind blew cloud across from Serre Chevalier direction. It's there but can't even see the snow coming down in this shot its so light:

[img]
A.M. Clouds rolling in by sd20_10, on Flickr[/img]

By lunchtime:

[img]
Lunchtime PSV 1600 by sd20_10, on Flickr[/img]

No sunshine this afternoon - but visibility still good and perfect light powder snow floating down. Snowfall has got heavier, but doesn't seem as if amount falling will be enough to make much of a difference unless keeps going over the weekend. But heres hoping Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As kids been having a long sleep this afternoon, had nothing better to do that read a book on the balcony and watch the snow fall. As of around 3 ish it is chucking it down and still nice, light flakes with visibilty down to about 100m. Best indication (without being overly optimistic) that its looking good is that all the cafe and bar owners are frantically trying to get their outdoor seating areas rapidly packed away Very Happy

[img]
P.M PSV 1600 by sd20_10, on Flickr[/img]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sd2010, you've made me a very happy man! Spending the day getting the kit out, packing and loading the car (whilst keeping an eye on the weather outlook thread). Looks like the snow has come a bit further south than it looked like it would a couple of days back, happy days. Current forecast on ski club gb site is snow today and tomorrow and then bluebird skies for a few days, I'll take that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sd2010 wrote:
, gone clear sky again tonight unfortunately, but locals agree they're expecting snow fri through mon at moment.

Ref the lords - know feeling - but have been entertaining myself this week with seeing what I can actually get away with on my skis (112 waist) and been pleasantly surprised.

Preachers maybe?

philipb

I told you to keep the faith wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philipb wrote:
sd2010, sounds like you've got the ideal skis for the Snowbizz slalom on saturday then!

Looking forward to those pics of fresh powder.

Yes ideal skis for the slalom.You've got to try and get within 3 or 4 seconds of the Instructors timing run.

Its the PSV version of the Eurotest. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hedley, tell me about it. last year I missed the win by 1/100th of a sec, not helped by son and daughter both winning their categories. It's great fun. I go down with 'ski sunday' in my head and then have a huge laugh seeing the reality on the video later, Bode Miller it ain't!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hedley, did look at the preachers and the directors but opted for a pair of DPS wailers (hybrid) with dukes of my old powder jobs. Week in Chamonix on them pre-xmas and week out here now on hard-pack and crud and I'm still impressed with them! Would have relished trying the slalom with them and raising few eyebrows, but was today they held it, I thought tomorrow - so missed it..........but had more fun playing Wink

Got out for quick hour before lifts shut - 5 cm I reckon of fresh - skis came alive and big grin time Wink Snow still going this evening, but so fine that have to look hard to see it - its so fine!

Philipb, you doing lessons next week? Missus is trying to get out of Michel whether there will be any all mountain lessons next week dependant on who's arriving.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philipb, I know it looks soooo pedestrian but feels soooo fast. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sd2010, Good choice.I could only think of one pair of skis @ 112 underfoot?

I'm off to Verbier with my new preachers on Thurs. My go to ski is a pair of High Society FRs so it will be intersting to see how the step up in width feels.

Verbier is looking superb on the webcams but i'll be back to Puy on 1st April for a pootle around. wink Lets hope the weather patterns change and the South gets a bit of a pasting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sd2010, I wasn't planning on lessons as probably have moved beyond the normal 'top' group to be honest. Last year myself and son (now 12) did three morning 'off piste' sessions with Quentin which was good but conditions not ideal for it. I thought I would have a chat with Michel on sunday to see situation this year. If there are a few takers it might be interesting to get a small group together even if only for private lessons, myself and Thomas (he's pretty strong and done a fair bit of off-piste, including hiking, before) might well be up for that. Happy to have a chat on sunday and see if we could get anything planned. Always fancied a trip to La Grave with a guide if the conditions are right!
Michel will know we are coming, Burnett family - Phil, Zuleika, Thomas and Hannah. Fingers crossed arriving mid morning sunday - we'll be the ones unloading everything including the kitchen sink from a black Subaru!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hedley, I used to play on Icelantic Shamans all the time (similar dimensions to Preachers) - even on piste as they were brilliant at carving soft piste. Few people have told me some of the Icelantics and the Preachers are similarish in some respects as don't feel as wide as think, etc. Am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by them - and will have a ball in verbier at moment - my Shamans I found got practically no thigh burn compared to mates on thinner skis.

I used to combine the Shamans (pow) with Dynastar Big troubles (92mm waist general use). Eventually found was spending more time on the Shamans, but knackered knee really didn't like cranking the Shamans on piste all day, mate in Whistler found the same after owning Shamans for a year (and his knees fine).

Hence move to rockered DPS - lot easier on my knee for some reason and seems perfect compromise' They've now firmly replaced both of my old pairs of skis for general stuff up to knee-deep powder, and truly live up to the monicker of a Resort Powder ski. However, they feel a lot more friskier/lively than the Icelantics and catch me off guard occasionally with the speed - love em, but really do wish they weren't bright yellow! Wink Would love to try the Preachers and DPS back to back.

Will be surprised if things aren't a lot easier in the deep stuff with the Preachers than the FRs - but may end up with a few "controlled slides" if encounter some hard pack/ice lower down Smile
snow report
philipb, Michel said that he thought 3 strong skiers out this coming weekend - but he was a bit distracted this evening with prepping transfers for sunday. Missus and I have always talked about La Grave whenever driven past it and I suggested to her today that it may well be the case that Michel can arrange some all mountain stuff if a few people are interested next week. Though these days I often need the motivation of a long coffee stop following any hiking :)Will keep an eye out for you Sunday provided I don't get carried away and argue with a tree tomorrow!

Its still snowing though I don't reckon there will be masses of it by tomorrow morning, maybe 10 cm if really lucky (2 cm worth is balanced on my balcony railing) - but its powder and even the few cm this afternoon made such a difference. Fingers crossed the locals don't appear en masse tomorrow to pinch it all! Wink
snow conditions
sd2010, yes we'll have a chat with Michel on sunday and see if can get anything sorted even if not for every day.I've heard the valley next door is possible but obviously would need a guide, Quentin would have taken us last year if conditions better. Got a set of touring skins for christmas (from myself) so keen to give them a go even if it;s only getting used to them at the side of the piste, could come in handy if I drop too low through the trees though and 1400 is closed!
Enjoy whatever powder there is, hope there is still a bit left for sunday afternoon.
ski holidays
This morning, pistes were lovely, overnight snow had done the trick and in some areas of the trees had 20-30cm powder to play with (what a day Wink ). However as day has progressed, sunshine has reduced a lot of new snow at 1600 level to heavy if not slush. It really needs snow tonight to stop it all going to hard pack/ice. Local forecasts reckon nothing new now till Thursday Sad
ski holidays
Arrived at 11 today, driving from La Grave. Definite difference between conditions on La Grave side of Col de Lautaret and Serre Chevalier side, looked pretty epic in La Grave. Conditions in Puy not too bad but definitely need some of that northern.alps snow. Forecast saying possibly some snow mid week but not holding my breath. Still theres enough to play with for now.
ski holidays
Still no fresh stuff - even amongst the trees pretty skied out now Sad Pistes great first thing then get scraped as day goes on!
snow conditions
sd2010, friday onwards may bring a light dusting Sad Better than nothing though Smile
latest report
Looks good for the weekend!
latest report
Was a tiny dusting overnight, but only a few flakes today - clouds are loitering though!
ski holidays
Any more up dates
snow report
Roughneck, its been chucking snow down all day, prob 15-20 cm powder today - if forecast for week is correct - you'll have a good one Smile
ski holidays
As we left this morning conditions were perfect. About 10cms overnight and good visibility, will be a good day. Driving over col de lautaret was a bit sketchy in places but made it over fine, now peage all the way to Calais, oh joy! sd2010, hope you made it to Milan ok, felt for you leaving so early.
Was another good week in Puy, hope all those going this week enjoy great conditions.
snow report
philipb, it was an epic Madeye-Smiley But made it. Will drop a PM once have had a chance to look over pics this weekend.
snow report
Hi,

We're off to Puy for the first time next weekend - has anyone got any updates since the last post?

According to the Snowbizz website it appears there's been no new snow at all in February - and it's warmed up over the past couple of days.

Can anyone give an idea what we can expect when we get there, given a month without new snow?

Thanks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Rooknee

Can't help you sorry, but we are going to Puy for the first time on the 11th and getting a bit worried about the snow too. Been checking the Snowbizz website every day and panicking! Would love to have someone give us an update too.

Thank you!
latest report
We're currently in Briancon, not Puy S V but I can confirm that the whole area (PSV is only about 30 mins from here) is in need of new snow and is currently enjoying (?) unusually warm weather. Seems there might be some new snow next week but for now, like other resorts round here, the snow will be suffering.
snow report
Currently in puy, had small amount of snow Sunday night but only 4cm, sunny since. No real snow forecast. Some pistes getting a little thin but otherwise not too bad, only downside is stomach bug that has swept resort.
snow report
Rooknee, Is it cold enough for snowmaking?
ski holidays
I am coming out to PSV on the 1st April and I know there is time for things to change but I dont think ive seen cover as sparse.Lets hope its better on the ground than from afar Smile

I reckon the Southern Alps have only had 10 cms in the last 6 weeks or so Shocked
snow report
We're going on the 1st too. It does seem that every significant snowfall has passed PSV by this season!

I've been looking at the webcams, and the snow cover does look rather thin, especially here http://www.paysdesecrins.com/webcams/LES_COQS.jpg where there are bare patches in the middle of what I'm sure was a wide piste last time I went!

On the other hand, snowbizz just posted some pictures on their facebook page showing what looks like decent coverage down at 1400.

I'm not getting disheartened though, there's still time for everything to change before Easter.
snow report
aterlevich, Welcome to snowheads.

Lets keep fingers crossed,I've got a feeling the drought will break around the 3rd week in April.

We will have to meet up in Puy(well it would be hard not to really Very Happy ),which airport are you travelling from.
ski holidays
Hi.

It was supposed to drop 2cm today but ended up being another Bluebird day. It is still cold out of the sun, but where there's traffic it is getting heavy and chopped quite quickly. Further up the mountain the conditions change throughout the day but as it's freeze-thaw you can guess there's a hard base with loose snow on top.

Some runs are getting bare in places, though given the lack of snowfall the pisteurs are doing an amazing job keeping everything open. Small stones are appearing on some slopes.

It is, however, stunningly beautiful here (our first visit) and we're having a good time. The boarder cross is great fun - and not as scary as it looks.

The main downside for us is that we've managed to coincide our visit with French holidays so there are some lift queues... and the lifts are generally slow. Pinchpoints get very busy.

We've got two days left... am praying for three feet of powder... Happy
latest report
Hi Hedley, lets hope you're right about the drought breaking!
We're actually driving this year. It's the first time we've driven, and also the first time we've gone at Easter.
I guess we're about to find out if driving is a good idea with three small kids.
See you in Puy!
snow conditions
Just arrived back from a week in Puy, there was a tiny bit of new snow yesterday morning but only enough to give a light dusting. Has been incredibly hot the last week, people skiing in vest tops but I heard it was set to cool down this next week. Snow bearing up remarkably well given the circumstances. Whilst it has been hot during the day it has frozen overnight which has helped. You can still ski down to 1400 but it's a little patchy and the best skiing obviously is up at the top by the Boarder Cross and far left on the red run Draille(sp) which had no one on it the other morning! Very quiet and to be honest the skiing has been fine, I've skied on better but I've skied on far far worse!

First visit to Puy with our just turned 3 year old, went with Snowbizz and he went in the Totons ski school. What a cracking little resort, especially for families, will definitely be back next year.
ski holidays
AllyK, glad it went well - yet another positive report about Puy St Vincent. snowHead
snow conditions
AllyK, Thanks for the update.

It looks like they have had a dusting overnight which will freshen things up hopefully.

Were you still able to ski Back to the locker room? As late on last season the snow completely melted out front of the apartment area which was very rare.

I'm just hoping it can hang on for a few weeks more till Easter when we arrive. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy