Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reducing hard lump after bruising?

Poster: A snowHead
I took a hockey ball onto my heel just over two weeks ago. All the discolouring has gone but there is a hard lump left there, which is *very* painful when I was shadowing last night.

From googling this appears to be common after a severe "impact/bruising".

Can I do anything to speed up the healing process, reduce the size and hence the pain at all?

I'm off skiing in just over a week and was in an awful lot of pain last night with my ski boots on. I guess worst case I'll feed myself Ibuprofen whilst skiing!

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, ice it and rub in some anti-inflammatory gel ( Voltarol is a good one).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, cheers, I stopped icing it after the first 48 hours, how often should I ice it now?

I've got some Ibuprofen gel I've been using for the past 2 days....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Small punch of the boot to avoid the pressure point?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, think ibuprofen maybe an easier solution, I'd be worried about modifying the boot for (hopefully) a temporary lump and the 11 days before I ski again with ice should help get it down!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, this is the advice my physio FIL used to give J for his long list of sports injuries. Alternate ice and heat every three minutes for 20 minutes. Repeat two or three times a day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, that's exactly what a physio (sports physio) said to me recently. I bought a pillow thingie from Holland & Barrett, which you put in the microwave, for the heat and - natch - used a bag of peas for the ice. That regime worked a treat on a swollen knee. Good luck, kitenski, that lump looks horrible!

Edit: the pillow/bag is filled with wheat.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you been to the Dr? I had a big lump on a shin after a hockey ball strike which remained after all the bruising had gone. The GP used a large needle to draw a MASSIVE amount of fluid out of the lump. Might be the same thing??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stella, nope I haven't....was your lump "squishy" or hard??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I think the lump was hard - but it was also 25 years ago. I do remember horse riding boots being painful to put on. Sorry I can't be more useful!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stella, ah ok, cheers! I have a physio at hockey coaching tonight, I'll have him take a quick look...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FWIW this lump is still there, it seems fine day to day, but is very painful when in ski boots....off for an Xray tomorrow as I need it sorting as part of my decision about doing my 35 hours for L2.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It might be a long shot, but my mum used to swear on Arnica cream for getting bruising down. Smothered us in the stuff as kids. I'm not sure there's much scientific evidence for it, but you only have a copule of quid to lose in trying it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, The worst case for this would be calcification of the blood clot (myositis ossificans). The best thing you can do to prevent that is painful deep tissue massage to break up the blood in the bruise.

Some more info here:
http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/myositis-ossificans.html

If you're at all concerned, see a doc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW, doc Al in Val d'Isere gave me this advice in ibuprofen gel - "rub it on if you want, but the tablets you're taking are giving you a dose which is about 100 times stronger".
snow report
feef, Doc has been seen, he has referred me for an Xray which is happening tomorrow.....
snow conditions
I'm not a huge one for a belief in homeopathic remedies, but arnica ointment with enough in to actually contain some does seem surprisingly effective for bumps and bruises, both long term and immediately post a bump for preventing resultant bruising, I don't know why it works, but even as a scientist I do actually apply it in those situations and I do have a belief that it works. So I would second janeed, in suggesting that it is worth a try. We use SBC arnica gel at home.
snow conditions
Xray has come back as "all normal".

Been back to see my local Dr. reckon I will leave it a few months now and see how it goes....
snow conditions
Good news on the x ray at least. I hope it settles down soon.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
kitenski, this is the advice my physio FIL used to give J for his long list of sports injuries. Alternate ice and heat every three minutes for 20 minutes. Repeat two or three times a day.

This, but remember to start and finish with cold. Also try rubbing anti inflammatory gel into the area quite hard around the edges (you will be trying to break down scar tissue from the outside) gradually working towards the middle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy