Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - Getting About

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, been lurking on here for a while now, but have emerged from the shadows to try and capture some of the collective k-nowledge Madeye-Smiley

Planning a long weekend trip, and hoping to cover each of the main areas of 4 days.

Was wondering where abouts to stay - Central or Cham Sud - in the context of which is best for getting about. Thinking Central is closer to the Train, but Cham Sud is best for the bus routes. Ideally don't want to be too far from Apres either wink , so was inclined towards Central - maybe Hotel Gastavia (Chambre Neuf Very Happy ). Spent a few days in Cham last year, so have general bearings/ concept of distances when luggin' skis.

If taking the train, are the destination stations close the lifts (in either direction) or are buses the best bet?

Thank in advance for input Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had thought the train service to and through Chamonix was inferior to the bus, but maybe I'm wrong. Imo the best skiing by far is in Argentiere, about 15-20 misn by bus from Cham centre, which I've never found annoying despite the fact that I'm a profoundly impatient person. Would prob still be nice to stay in Cham to be in the town.

I've also never thought the apres was that great but maybe I'm wrong (I've never really gone looking tbh...)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hire a car for getting about, as another thread says, Chambre Neuf is the best apres bar by far wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in Argentiere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The train is much less useful than the bus - it doesn't run as often and doesn't get that close to the lifts. Argentiere station is just about walkable to the Grands Montets, and Les Praz is OK for La Flegere, but the buses will get you right to all the lifts. The buses also run much later.

There's no need to be in Cham Sud for the buses, they all go to Cham Centre (near the tourist office) and virtually all of them go via Place du Mont Blanc which is not far from the centre.

Staying in Chamonix is the best bet if you want the biggest choice of pubs/bars/restaurants/clubs etc. The exact location you choose in Chamonix is not so much of an issue, it's all walkable once you've put normal shoes back on Happy. If maximum apres choice is your main criteria then go for Cham.

Argentiere has some nice places too and is cheaper and a bit quieter, I tend to stay there over Chamonix itself. I think Les Houches is similar in terms of size and cost but I've never stayed there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the feedback folks Very Happy

Sounds like buses are best bet, other than car. Thought a car might not be very cost effective over 5 days as the transfers from GVA are cheap, and I guess there parking costs / toll on the way down? Also the hassle of getting and returning the car. Perhaps most importantly, keeping a driver sober at the end of the day Shocked

I don't know much about Argentiere -what's it like in terms of in town atmosphere and apres - is it more akin to say an austrian resort? All I've seen is the lift station last year, having emerged from a minibus.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiSunday wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks Very Happy

Sounds like buses are best bet, other than car. Thought a car might not be very cost effective over 5 days as the transfers from GVA are cheap, and I guess there parking costs / toll on the way down? Also the hassle of getting and returning the car. Perhaps most importantly, keeping a driver sober at the end of the day Shocked

I don't know much about Argentiere -what's it like in terms of in towm atmosphere and apres - is it more akin to say an austrian resort? All I've seen is the lift station last year, having emerged from a minibus.

Yep, transfers are cheap, thanks to the dozen different companies all competing. However, I'd rather have a car. The bus works, but it can get busy and a car is more flexible. Tolls are minimal between GVA and Chamonix - €3 or €4 I think. As for sobriety, you can have a pint after skiing then you'll want to ditch the car, but thats no hardship - you can go back and get changed and head out without ski gear on. Most people don't stop at the bottom of the piste for beer anyway, it's more usual to head back in to town (e.g. the the MBC or Ch9). People don't dance on tables in their ski boots at 10pm in Chamonix like they do in Austria wink

I wouldn't say Argentiere was like an Austrian resort, it's a pretty nice French village, lively enough with bars getting busy (but not usually packed) after skiing and staying open until 1-ish. There are half a dozen restaurants, 3 or 4 bars, a few gear shops, small supermarket, ski school office, banks etc. You won't have seen much of Argentiere from the lift station - you'll proboably have seen the back of one apartment block at the lower end of the village. The downside is that the main road runs right through the centre of the village, but it's not something thats ever bothered me even when staying right next to it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiSunday wrote:
Hi folks, been lurking on here for a while now, but have emerged from the shadows to try and capture some of the collective k-nowledge Madeye-Smiley
Planning a long weekend trip, and hoping to cover each of the main areas of 4 days.
Was wondering where abouts to stay - Central or Cham Sud - in the context of which is best for getting about. Thinking Central is closer to the Train, but Cham Sud is best for the bus routes. Ideally don't want to be too far from Apres either wink , so was inclined towards Central - maybe Hotel Gastavia (Chambre Neuf Very Happy ). Spent a few days in Cham last year, so have general bearings/ concept of distances when luggin' skis.
If taking the train, are the destination stations close the lifts (in either direction) or are buses the best bet?
Thank in advance for input Smile

Ski Sunday,
I had a week in Chamonix a few seasons back. Spent the first 5 days getting the bus up and down the valley. Quite a bit of jostling, often didn't get a seat, not a lot of fun but quite practical and free.
On the last day a few of us thought we'd try the train. They're not super frequent so you have to check the times rather than just turn up but the station is next to Chambre Neuf (a top apres-ski hotel where you might go anyway one afternoon).
Anyway, we loved the train experience. It was only half full so easily got a seat (it's not promoted as a local means of transport for skiers so most people don't know about it). The ride was comfortable and relaxing, and the views were fantastic - a different world to the chaos of the bus. The station at Vallorcine is right next to the gondola to the Le Tour slopes. There's another station near(ish) Le Tour but a bit too much of a hike (maybe 20 mins), and then you have Argentiere station which is a short walk (5 mins) to cable car. There's a station in Les Houches too but I've heard that's a bit too far from the lifts.
So take the bus most of the time as it's free and convenient, but I would treat yourself to a train transfer on one or two days.
It's not really any more use than what I've told you above but there's a newish map highlighting the train network in the Alps and all the resorts it serves (this sample includes the Chamonix Valley - http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also re the buses, the trick is (took me about 4 mornings of cursing to cop this) that the time on the bus stop is the time the bus arrives at that stop, not the time it leaves its first stop. I used to rock down three or four minutes later and slowly begin the cursing process, every morning was a disappointment.

At least I think its that way, either its that way or the other way around Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi there, we are from Australia, family, travelling to Chamonix from Geneva by hire car then afeter a few days on to Val d' Isere. Arriving Geneva on 2 February. What is best advice - hiring snow chains for car or buying, standard medium size vehicle? We will be driving in snow resorts for approximately 14 days.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there, we are from Australia, family, travelling to Chamonix from Geneva by hire car then afeter a few days on to Val d' Isere. Arriving Geneva on 2 February. What is best advice - hiring snow chains for car or buying, standard medium size vehicle? We will be driving in snow resorts for approximately 14 days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
matton, If hiring from the Swiss side you are likely to be asked if you need them (we were last week). It was 3CHF per day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks to Sah and Neil Neige for the detailed info.

I tend to prefer trains to coaches so will probably take it to Argentiere and Vallorcine.

Does anyone know which bus route / number runs up to Brevant? I downloaded a timetable but couldn't see it. I know there is one as it failed to stop for us Evil or Very Mad when I was there last, and there's a bus turnaround close by the lift.

Hoping the Savoy lift will be open, so we don't need a bus, but i guess that depends on snow conditions - we're out there late March. S'pose we could always bus it to Le Praz for Flegere instead.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of good info already here. Sorry about today's self linking fest but it saves typing and contains everything I was going to say...

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/blog/where-to-stay-in-chamonix-in-winter

and

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/travel/getting-around-chamonix
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy