Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah, January 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week's DIY trip.

Thought I'd sample the famed Utah powder for the first time, but none to be found: it's the region's worst start to the season for a generation. Sad

That said, we had six very full days covering three resorts and got miles and miles under our skis.

We were based in Park City. We skied there on 2 days, at Deer Valley on 3 days and at Alta for 1 day.

We were within easy walking distance of the main lifts at Park City. On Day 1, about 60% of the runs were open, and many of those were reliant on artificial snow, which they produced in mammoth quantities. It was brutally cold most of the time (which I actually quite like), so the machines were working non-stop. Of course, it was mainly the steeps that were shut, so plenty of cruising on the blues (they have double blues in Utah too). What was open was actually in great condition. However by Day 5, only about 50% was open and many of the those were scratchy with stones here and there. I didn't particularly enjoy that day.

Deer Valley was about 10 minutes away on the excellent free bus service. About 90% of Deer Valley was open throughout, again mainly reliant on a prodigious snow-making operation. The quality held up here much better than at Park City. Some long, mogulled steeps were available, so more challenge was on offer than at PC. They go all out on the service ethic at Deer Valley and the food on the mountain was excellent - surely the best in North America. No boarders and no park at Deer Valley - I know this will annoy many, but I must say I found that quite congenial (as did Mrs L, to a greater extent). We didn't try the Canyons, which (in normal times) is the largest of the linked (by free bus) resorts. It seemed to have fared worst from the lack of snow.

Drove to Alta on Day 3 - an easy drive of 50-60 minutes. It was reckoned to have the best conditions of the four Cottonwood resorts. Almost all of it was open and in good condition, mainly with natural snow. It's a lovely place, with more of a high-mountain feel than the Park City resorts. Quite small though (but lift-linked with Snowbird, which we didn't explore).

Having time to kill before catching the plane on the last day, we swung by Sundance, also about 1 hour away from park City, but had no time to don the gear. That looked lovely, with a very Alpine feel.

Park City itself is a lively place, with plant of eating, drinking and shopping opportunities. I was very impressed with the excellent ales and porters from a number of local microbreweries. Smile

We'll definitely be going back another year.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent stuff. Am off there on the 28th. We're staying in the valley though at Ogden. So guessing most days spent at powder mountain and those close. Shame you missed out as it seems there finally getting the snow they need at the moment

Any recommendations would be excellent
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman. So it's not just us then....We skied Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Snowbird and Alta one January a few years back and had nothing but perfectly groomed piste, wall to wall sun and comments of 'You should have been here last week.'

We still had a great time - piste conditions were fantastic - though at the time we felt like going to Trading Standards about the Greatest Snow on earth bo11ock$!

On the other hand, we've had powder/freshtracks on our last 3 trips to Tignes! Including 5 days last week!....Er, what's the French for 'greatest snow on earth?!' wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bad timing happens, I'm afraid - if you were there last year, 2 foot snorkel required.

Like the Cascades right now Wink. We have friends there in first week of Feb, so hopefully something off groomed will be skiable by then.

Food at Sun Valley is as good as Deer. Top stuff!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy