Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

board bindings set up

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone enlighten for the best angle for my bindings , I have been boarding for about 15 years , for 1 or 2 weeks each year , so whilst I am pretty confident and can ride fakie and switch and can do 180’s at reasonable speed , but I am never sure that I have my bindings set up in the best way . I want to progress this year to doing larger jumps at speed and be confident I can ride out either regular or fakie without immediately thinking of getting back to regular .
Usually at about +5 and -15 , should they be towards the rear of the board and more equal i.e +15 and -15 .
Any help appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Generally the best advice i have seen is - use whatever is most comfortable for you. It sounds like you're angled more towards the rear of the board, so you could keep the same difference in angle but point more forwards, something like +9 and -12 would be a bit more neutral for you. If you went to +15 and -15 you'd be more duck-footed than you are now, which could be uncomfortable.

I found this article helpful in finding a comfy stance. If you get the chance, use that as a starting point then experiment with different settings out on the hill and see what works. I'm naturally pretty duck-footed anyway so at the moment I'm at +21 -18, but I reckon that would be a bit much for other people. Less than that wasn't comfortable for me though. The best thing is to listen to your body Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhilZero, Interesting article, jumped up and down a few times, my feet landed in exactly the position I've got my bindings set in! I'm guessing thats a good thing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+18/-15 stance 22" wide.
Riding something radically set up different is hard once you have your preferred stance dial-in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some shops also have a stance machine that moves and finds your most stable position. It did make a big difference and reduced knee pain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all maybe I will just be more experimental and try loads of differnet settings , I will take a screwdriver with me and change setting over at lunch
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't board with a screwdriver in you pocket! Imagine the consequences of a wipeout! Get a proper tool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
orange juice everywhere!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i used the technique in that article when i first set my board up and ended up -6 +15 (goofy). I did try to change it once for better turn initiation in deep powder but found it very hard to adjust.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is one part of the equation missing still, the distance between your bindings. Off the top off my head I haen't a clue what mine are (sure my angles are around 15/-15) but try moving your bindings slightly further apart than you usually ride (another way I'd put it is slightly further apart than feels comfy). It may not feel right (or good) standing still in your living room however when your riding it'll force you into having a little flex constantly (and ride out any terrain change), more stability landing jumps and jibs and helps give you that bit of style that the pros have.

Try it, if it doesn't work tell me I'm talkin BS and change it back!

Sounds like you've got stuck in a rut if you've not got your bindings dialled in after 15 years, make it your aim for this year to alter and change your bindings daily on your trip some days it'll work others it wont. Take all the good bits and bang your riding ability and style will have improved like you never thought it could!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb wrote:
There is one part of the equation missing still, the distance between your bindings. Off the top off my head I haen't a clue what mine are (sure my angles are around 15/-15) but try moving your bindings slightly further apart than you usually ride (another way I'd put it is slightly further apart than feels comfy). It may not feel right (or good) standing still in your living room however when your riding it'll force you into having a little flex constantly (and ride out any terrain change), more stability landing jumps and jibs and helps give you that bit of style that the pros have.

Try it, if it doesn't work tell me I'm talkin BS and change it back!

Sounds like you've got stuck in a rut if you've not got your bindings dialled in after 15 years, make it your aim for this year to alter and change your bindings daily on your trip some days it'll work others it wont. Take all the good bits and bang your riding ability and style will have improved like you never thought it could!

I'll just add, if you move your bindings further apart you will find riding more tiring. That's because you'll be working a lot harder, and rarely get the chance to straighten your legs and cruise (which although feels good actually looks poor). You'll get over this as you use the muscles more and more and your riding gets better!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb, Interesting idea, might have to try it in feb, as you say get out of the rut and see what it does. The good thing with bindings is it's only a two minute job to change them back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, just adding my 2p'orth! I've boarded for 14 years and always pretty much followed the same stance which was more or less +21+3 till a couple of years back when I moved my back foot more to 0. This year however, new board, new plans for progression, namely more switch riding, as well as new way of thinking in line with new technology and techniques. Bravely switched to more of a duck stance, around a +21-15 and never been so comfortable. I feel happier riding switch, happier tanking it on flats, and less cramps etc. It works for me! But each to their own. I believe in what the above article is aiming at, being in tune with how your body is naturally aligned etc, - and this was how my feet fell, and let me bend easily and comfily at the knee and hips. If you twist at the knee, ankle, etc when strapped in and flexing its not gonna work.

Have fun experimenting! It's the only way Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wide stance and duckfoot for me - +15 and -12 I think off the trop of my head. Nearly the same angle anyway.

10 years ago on day 3 of my first snowbaording holiday the instructor changed my bnindings to duck foot and it was the turning point for enjoyable riding for me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On my first lesson at Tamworth about a thousand years ago, I was told that the back foot should NEVER NORMALLY be less than 0 degrees, and never more positive than my front foot...
latest report
Richard_Sideways, times change! wink
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
On my first lesson at Tamworth about a thousand years ago, I was told that the back foot should NEVER NORMALLY be less than 0 degrees, and never more positive than my front foot...

I was told the same, what was even better was getting to the resort on my first holiday having booked board rental all in and being given ski boots and a board with hard bindings. The shop did get some soft boots by half way through the week, however at least I can say I've ridden a race set-up! wink
ski holidays
stevomcd, Amen for THAT!
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Haha, me too, at tamworth, way back in the day of 1998! Thank goodness time DO change!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy