Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Hoping someone can help me,

I've got a pair of salomon evolution boots that ive had for about 20 years but have hardly used since starting snow boarding, they have been stored in a bag in a dry loft. Upon gettting them out ready for a forthcoming trip on which ive decided to ski, i have found that the inside of the liners are very sticky ( not sweaty feet sticky! ) tried washing them but cant remove it, the are so sticky that it is nearly impossible to put them on.

The boots were heat moulded when purchased and i am wondering if the gel has melted again, i would be very gratefull if anyone could let me know if they have had simalar problems and in if the is any solutiuion to the problem other than buying a new pair of boots.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like the liner has started to break down. I would have doubts about using boots of that age if the liners are in poor condition. It is possible to get new liners (that will almost certainly be better than the originals) but TBH the cost of a customer liner versus the cost of new boots these days... plenty of retailers are offering brand new boots at decent rates.

My guess would be rent some boots in resort, figure out which ones you like and then buy in the late season / summer sales.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thepowmeister wrote:
Sounds like the liner has started to break down. I would have doubts about using boots of that age if the liners are in poor condition. It is possible to get new liners (that will almost certainly be better than the originals) but TBH the cost of a customer liner versus the cost of new boots these days...

+ the plastic of the shells doesn't age well either, it may be brittle and prone to breaking so it really doesn't make any sense to buy new liners for those shells.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At 20 years old you could well be left with a sole in the binding and the upper boot still attached to your leg somewhere inconvenient at the top of a mountain. I've seen it happen and ducttape is a poor substitute for the torsional rigidity of even an old ski boot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I realize that this is a very old thread, but I just discovered that I have the same problem with a fairly old pair of Salomon X-Wave 8.0 boots: the liner has become so sticky they're nearly impossible to put on. I just discovered a very simple fix: copious amounts of baby powder in the liner. The powder sticks to the sticky substance and makes it possible to slide the boot on normally. Having done that, time will tell if I'll be able to remove the boots and still have my socks on after a day of skiing!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@condraj, Welcome to Snowheads!

If i was in the same position I'd want to establish what the 'sticky substance' was before putting my foot (or anything else) in there....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy