Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix piste maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know it's probably a silly question, but does anyone know where I can get sight of a piste map for the various bits of the Chamonix Valley?
The one on the Chamonix website just shows lifts & the whole valley to boot.
I'm looking for something that shows me each area separately so I can decide which area to ski in.
Thanks
CW Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure if you google it you'll get something

Also, just ski in Argentiere Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try this http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/en/map-fields-discovered?utm_source=chamonet.com&utm_medium=links&utm_campaign=contract then click on the "interactive map" button towards the bottom for each of the areas.

I also found them difficult to find. I seem to recall I found a better one last year but I can't find it again now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cardweg, there are loads of Chamonix experts on SHs - if you tell them what kind of skiing you are after, they'll be able to advise. Here's one for Le tour, to start you off.....

http://www.chamonix.com/plan-des-pistes-balme-tour-vallorcine,184,fr.html

try googling the separate areas
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@8611 - I did try that, but the results didn't give me what I was looking for.... & my son's not ready for the Grand Montets... yet wink
@Dorset Andy - found the interactive maps thanks
@pam w - closest yet to what I'm looking for

Thanks all for the info

CW Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
8611 wrote:
I'm sure if you google it you'll get something

Also, just ski in Argentiere Smile

this whole Grands Montets or nowhere thing is dumb rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For kids / beginners I'd say La Tour is your best bet.

I say GM because, in my experience (about 4 trips to Chamonix) the snow was always better there, because (I presume) of the aspect of the slopes which are north facing. In the bowls on either side of the ski area the snow seems to keep for days after a snowfall. Meanwhile Brevant / Flegere is getting hammered by the sun.

Also you can ski right to the bottom in GM, I've never been able to do that in Brev / Fleg. The run from the top of the ordinary lifts to the bottom is very long and very enjoyable, must be about 1800m of vertical with loads of easily accessible off piste. Add 500m to that if you're lucky enough to get up the very top. The lift queues for both Brevant and Flegere have always been big - at GM you can usually choose to get the chair relatively quickly if the gondola queue is long. There seems to rarely be a big queue for the Bochard or Hearse chairlifts once you're up there and the accessible (and relatively safe) off piste options for both are outstanding.

The pistes are more dramatic in Brevant / Flegere, and I believe the off piste descents are too (but these are not accessible to people without local knowledge). But any time I've skied the pistes here the snow has been worse quality than GM.

La Tour and Les Houches are grand but not as challenging or dramatic as the others.

So I stand over the GM over the rest (IMO).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le tour in bad visibility is a horror though. Dangerous too. I'm planning a blog post on when to go to which area, will put it here when I'm done.

You're right, those piste maps are difficult to find online. A while ago I scanned them and put them on my site - sorry for self linkage but it's the only place I know where you'll find them all.

http://www.chaletlaforet.com/ski-areas/flegere-and-brevent

and then use the right hand links. Maps are at the bottom for each area, click to enlarge
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy