Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on destination for weekend trip

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning a weekend snow trip and would like some advice on where best to go. I'm a intermediate ability snowboarded and my wife is a first time skier.

The things to be taken into account are the following -

We will be flying from London so somewhere no more than 2 to 3 hours max flightwise.

Somewhere suitable for complete nervous beginners, but also has enough good slopes for intermediate ability.

Somewhere that isn't too expensive.

Has at least a little bit of apres ski action.

Also would it be better to go sat, sun & mon or fri, sat & sun? So i guess I'm asking is friday or monday busier usually?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sure there'll be lots of suggestions but here's my 4p.

My own criteria for a short break it would be minimal travel time and maximum slope time. So that means resorts with short transfers.

From Geneva I'd consider
- Portes du Soleil (eg. Morzine) 1h30 transfer with Alpybus (less if you hire a car, which is cheaper from the French side of GVA).
Lots of terrain for all levels in this area for people at all levels.
- Grand Massif (eg. Flaine or Les Carroz)
A few years since I last went, but remember the lifts being a bit old and slow, with queue's on some even in low season - so not ideal for a short trip.

Many Austrian transfers from Salzburg or Innsbruck are also quite short, though flights are a little longer and less flexible.

IMHO the great thing about using Geneva airport is the choice of flight options. Swiss have a good schedule from LHR, which is only a bit more than the cheapest Easyjet, and once you factor in luggage (and ski's are free on Swiss too if you are taking your own kit) then I find Swiss better value. You can fly out after work on Thursday on be ready to go first thing the next day (that way flight delays only reduce sleep time, not ski time). Likewise you can ski the full last day then fly back in the evening.

As for the last question, that's a hard one. I'd probably say Fri, Sat Sun, to join the apres with people up for a party before they go home (and at a guess cheaper flights). Portes du Soleil has a mixture of Sat/Sun changeover days, so both days will be quieter than average, question is do you prefer Friday, with more last day skiers being a bit more daring before they go home, or Monday with more early week skiers sticking to blues and being less in control?

Where ever you go, let us know how it works out.

Graham
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You want somewhere with decent transfer times the other side, I'd recommend Morzine as a good choice. 1h (ish) from Geneva, ok selection of weekend accommodation and great skiing. Cham is also close to Geneva, great skiing and weekend accommodation but I didn't like how everything is so spread out and it's a bus every day. The Grand Massiff is also close to Geneva but I wasn't a massive fan. Felt like we spent the whole time commuting to flain on crappy commuter runs which only existed as links.

I've no experience outside of France or Italy but I'm sure others will have suggestions for the Swiss Alps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah Graham beat me to it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As suggested above, PdS fits the bill perfectly and the snow is looking awesome. I would probably punt for Morzine or Les Gets, both not much more than an hour from Geneva. Les Gets is possibly better for nervous beginners. I am off to Chamonix for weekend trip soon, but probably not the best option for a nervous beginner - although the area around Les Houches is a bit more gentle.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are stacks within an hour of Innsbruck, it is of course all subject to conditions on the ground when you arrive: http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Innsbruck_Airport.html

Soll and the SkiWelt in general by the sounds of your group is probably ideal and easy to get weekend accomadation which is often the most difficult task without paying a weekly rate regardless.

Take the transfer times with a pinch of salt from Geneva, the only one within an hour I rate is Chamonix and very easy to get weekend accomadation but not best suited to your group.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hiya snowHead

I am also looking to do a weekend ski break having already booked the big ski hol to 3 valleys in march, similar sort of thing 2x intermediate piste skiiers would like to go from LHR not too fussy where we end up as long as there is some snow and enough ski area to cover for a weekend (100/150km+), would like to fly out thursday and back sunday in an ideal world.

Can anyone suggest accomodation, or how/where to book it for such a short period as I am struggling to find anywhere which will accept <4 nights Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd look at Schladming for what you want. Stansted or LGW to Salzburg and then about 1 hour transfer. The hotel Royer (www.royer.at) are very flexible on short break bookings and others will as well depending on the time of year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For people flying into Geneva, worth looking at staying in Sallanches (valley town, has an Ibis and other hotels) within very easy reach of a range of resorts including Combloux/Megeve, Les Contamines, Chamonix, Flaine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We did a long weekend in Megeve a few years ago. The transfer from Geneva was about 2hrs. The snow was amazing and the slopes were empty. It has a reputation for being expensive, but the lift pass and hire seemed standard, and we stayed in a lovely b&b for about £7o/night, which gave us the use of a kitchen to selfcater.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The transfer from Geneva was about 2hrs.

it would generally take a bit less than that. Megeve has some exceptionally expensive hotels and Michelin-starred restaurants but patronising them is not compulsory. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hire a car. You will save a couple of hours or more over a weekend - important. Whilst Porte du Soleil is closest to Geneva on the map, Chamonix, St Gervais or les Contamines, Megeve La CLusaz (via new Annecy link) are all similar times 1hr 15 mins.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know ill get slated here by the snobs but what about borovets? got great conditions at the moment, flights from gatwick daily, cheap food drink & accommodation, great apres, good ski schools, 1 1/2 hour transfer £25 return! cheap ski pass etc etc ticks all the boxes and 60km of piste should be enough for a weekend...

just a thought!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ryan110398, he wants her to enjoy it, not endure it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
22 dropout wrote:
Chamonix, St Gervais or les Contamines, Megeve La CLusaz (via new Annecy link) are all similar times 1hr 15 mins.

Completely agree, but would caution against Chamonix from the requirements given by the OP.
snow report
jamese, one of the forum members, DallyPaul does rooms by the night in his B&B in Morzine and can sort you out transfers - www.apexmorzine.com. The accommodation is a 5 minute walk from the Super Morzine lift and Paul will often take guests out and show them around.

You could also try www.skiblueridge.co.uk, run by Jane & Rob - although their prices seem much higher than I remember them when I stayed there.

The Rhodos hotel also does rooms by the night - www.morzinelets.com/hotel/overview.asp?Hotelid=3

Looking at those prices, Apex looks to be a bit of a bargain (but don't tell DallyPaul!).
latest report
dominicw78, my choice of resort for an absolute beginner would either be Les Gets or the Flaine (but you need to stay in the centre).

I'm biased towards Les Gets because I know it well and it's got lots of great beginner's terrain; good ski schools (Alpine Learning Curves, The Snow Institute, BASS Les Gets and Les Gets Snowsports) - all of which will be able to help your wife get the most out of the experience; and it's got plenty of terrain that you'll enjoy.

One thing to warn you about is that it's impossible to find group lessons over a weekend (I've never been able to find any, anyway!). So, if your wife wants lessons they she'll have to do privates. (Joe from Alpine Learning Curves; Sally from The Snow Institute or Lesley from BASS would be my choices for an absolute beginner).

Morzine is an alternative and it may be possible to get better value accommodation there, but the beginner's terrain isn't quite as good in my view. (I say this having shadowed ski school lessons in Morzine and Les Gets.)

Les Gets has some apres action, but it's not as good as Morzine. In truth your wife is likely to be knackered and it certainly meets the requirement of a nice cold beer or two in a convivial atmosphere before dinner and bed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy