Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Unofficial Portes du Soleil not-the-weather Thread

Poster: A snowHead
As long as on the way back you try and hit the Didier Defargo run to Morgins rather than go back via Champoussin - Les Crosets - etc it should work out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For Morgins its a long walk across the road but the run down is also south facing and if the snow is poor then its a chair down.. If you are driving to Torgon, then personally I would drive to Morgins and start / finish there. Torgon to Morgins and particular the return route is a pain with lots of draglifts and poor pistes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apologies if this has been asked before. The website is a little unclear.

Firstly, I notice there is a 10% family discount for lift passes bought at the window. Does this still apply if you bought two PDS adult passes and two Morzine-Les Gets child passes? I guess not...

Also, I seem to recall from a couple of years ago that if you had a Morzine-Les Gets 6 day pass you could buy a daily upgrade to PDS. Is this still the case as I can't find any reference to it?

The above would be useful info as I'm not sure how much value we'll get out of PDS passes for the kids but there may be an opportunity to explore once or twice and us adults don't want to be restricted to the smaller area all week either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easy to do in a day if you keep moving. Short walk in Morgins (or a bus if you fail to spot the track along some gardens).

I'd recommend the route you set out then to get back go Avoriaz - Lindarets - Plain Dranse - Pre La Joux then bus to Chatel, change to the Petit Chatel bus and take the Barbossine lifts. From there you ski straight back to Torgon.

Nice day out. Make sure you don't end up in the wrong valley when the lifts stop. It's a loooooong way by road!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Tyke, certainly last year it was possible to take a LG/Morzine pass into the lift office in Les Gets at the end of day's skiing and buy a PDS pass for the next day which I think worked out cheaper than doing it at Ardent in the morning. Not sure of all the details though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cool, tks very much to all. Sounds like doing it as an actual circuit rather than out and back is the way to go. Probably do it the first week in Jan. Last time we were in torgon, the runs down to morgins were indeed horrendous, but i have the faith....come on schneeeeeeee...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good summary of what is and what is not open from this weekend here:

http://www.portesdusoleil.com/images/upload/portfolio_img/ouvertrue_21_12.pdf
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dennisp wrote:
Ok, so pic stolen from FreeBeer

Anyone been through the Nyon area and up to the Fys chair yet? Did the work that freebee captured here materialize into a new access way to the Fys?

Any other piste developments around Morz/LG since last year? I have only read Pam's comment on the widened approach down to the Chavannes lifts I think?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not Morzine/Les Gets but the re-profiling on the red below Plaine Dranse has made it a much more pleasant ski in the afternoon. Rhododendrons is now graded Black not Red. Not been to Super Chatel yet but there was some reprofiling there too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL, do you mean Rochassons? What have they done to it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a bit wider and gentler. Not so much of a crash fest as it was in the past. It never really worried me but my daughter didn't like it much.

Bit of a disaster this afternoon. I set off to Geneva airport to stay overnight before my early flight tomorrow and the drivers side wiper jammed and fell off as I was washing the screen. No problem it's not raining. Just as I arrive at the airport. Jump out and pick up my sister, brother in law and nephew who are spending Christmas with us (I'm flying back from London on Christmas Eve) and it starts to rain. Mrs DJL not happy with 80 miles round the lake to do and no drivers side wiper!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coming out to Morzine for our "grown ups" trip this year late Jan. Have always been with kids before so apres has always been a quick beer before a return to the chalet. The group I'm going with aren't particularly into monster kate nights, but we do like a bit of a live band and a stomp early evening after we get off the hill - any recommendations for a suitable venue? We'll get picked up by the chalet so anywhere on the Morzine side of the hill is good (les Gets/Ardent as well).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DJL, thanks, I know what you mean I think, it was narrowish with a bad camber at the top, but then the rest of it was wide but a bit steep but with a long flat run out so you would get some real idiots straightlining it Skullie, I just used to stick to the far right hand edge. Then again I have been known to zip down the green track if it was carnage on there Laughing Actually now I come to think of it, I was out there in the summer and there was a big JCB digger on Rochassons, that might have been what was happening. It felt a lot steeper walking down it than skiing too!

Poor Mrs DJL, I bet you are in the bad books!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep definitely in the bad books - like it was my fault the thing fell off!

Anyway I've fixed up a transfer with Magic-Transfers.com for Tuesday night so she doesn't have to head doen again and they could not have been more helpful when I had a word with them. Big thumbs up for them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DJL, Laughing good idea!
ski holidays
andy from embsay, I think Robinsons could be what you are after, although in summer just for a nice beer we went to Duez Alp (I think thats it) which is a few hundred meters up from there. You have a few options from Pleney down to the TI office, but we thought they were a bit smelly and skanky personally rolling eyes Cant be more help than that as our apres was mostly at La Ferme in Linderets, or the chalet Madeye-Smiley

DJL, Peugot or Citroen?? NehNeh Not sure how you can blame yourself for the wiper coming off!!
snow conditions
dennisp, Saab. But it is 10 years old.

Of for my flight now. Hotel 33 is not too bad - clean and does what it says on the tin and a 10 min walk to the terminal. Wet outside though.
latest report
Thanksdennisp, - Lindarets etc would be ok too as we can get picked up from wherever.
snow conditions
Is there anybody out there on the Swiss side who can tell me if the new Pointe de L'Au lift in Champoussin is open? DJL are you there? Very Happy
snow report
sanman, Sorry, haven't been over that side this trip. I've been confined to the Chatel side supervising beginners.
ski holidays
Me neither, but telemorgins shows it as "open, 4-places". Someone will report soon...
snow report
Ok thanks. I'll be there in a week myself. Very Happy
latest report
Radio Chatel was running an advertfopr the new Pointe d'Au lift today.

Sounds like it is up and running though I haven"t been over there myself.
snow conditions
Thanks David. I had no idea that sort of thing was advertised on radio! we never listen to the radio when we are there.

It may reduce the bottleneck or it may just increase the traffic on the circuit by making access to Crosets easier. Last year's new fast chairlift at Morgins was great but it increased the traffic and just made for a bigger queue at Pointe de L'Au. I am hoping the new Pointe de L'Au will free that bottleneck, and that occasionally some of those passing though will pause to try out the ski-ing locally before continuing. Not too many of them though! Very Happy
latest report
Im going to chatel..... 18 days to go.

I was just going to buy Chatel ski passes is it worth upgrading to portes du soleil ones?
ski holidays
Think im just going to buy passes when I get there as I have no idea what im doing.
latest report
mistral_ski, There 's lots on the Chatel pass including half of Morgins, half of La Chapelle and all of Torgon.

If you are competent red run skiers and like to keep moving you should get value from the PDS pass.
ski holidays
Any of those who expresse an interest (or any others) fancy meeting for a pootle around tomorrow?

I'm thinking of coming over to Lindarets first thing so 10.00 at the top of the Ardent bubble would work or I could get elsewhere if it suited
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL, Well I'd love to but Mrs. Shep is not well and toddler Shep home tomorrow, so no turns for me Sad . Hope to do it next time around - have fun! snowHead
ski holidays
shep, no problem hope to catch you sometime. Hope all recover in time for New Year

Alsacien food tonight with our friends from Mulhouse may well make an early start a challenge but a bit of an anticlockwise circuit looks on the cards for tomorrow.
snow conditions
mistral_ski, i think all the passes are upgradeable on a daily basis. Chatelsnow or DJL could probably confirm this, but i think thats the best to do. You will most likely spend a couple of days either too knackered to go far from base, or just a couple of days exploring the chattel area fully, so could save a few euros I think. I believe that most passes are cheaper online pre booked too, so an online chatel pass, upgraded when needed could be the best option.

Thats what we do, but from a Morzine or Avoriaz point of view.
latest report
When you upgrade your pass online it apparently takes an hour to become active. Just useful to know.
snow conditions
Also passes are not cheaper bought online unless you buy early i.e. before the start of the season when there are sometimes offers, otherwise they are the same price as the ticket window.
snow conditions
According to last years "Guide Pratique" (I haven't seen this seasons and the offers do change) it is not possible to extend a Chatel pass to PDS. I've never tried it myself.

There is a 5 day non-consecutive pass which is valid for seven days so you could get this and then a PDS pass on a day you go further afield.

Whilst buying through the website is no cheaper there are low season flash sales whereby you can get a discount on a Chatel Wednesday pass or a PDS Tuesday or Thursday. I think the numbers might be limited. I've saved a few quid on these but they are no help if you are skiing Xmas/NY or Feb/March high season.
ski holidays
Hi, some advice on the best route to Les Gets would be much appreciated. Travelling on Saturday 4th January and will be arriving in Les Gets early afternoon. Weather forecast is for rain maybe snow. I had assumed I would drive into Les Gets via Cluses - Taninges but wondering whether the lakeside route via Thonon les Bains - Morzine would be better from a traffic and snow point of view ? Any help from regulars welcomed, thanks.
snow report
This thread is very useful!

First timer to Morzine this season though I'm a bit overwhelmed by this place. I only have 3 days of skiing to look forward to - is it worth staying local? OH has these ideas about skiing into Switzerland but I didn't know if it was possible or not? It looks a long way from Morzine!
ski holidays
BJP, You're right the Taninges route is more snarl-up prone, but even if you're stationary/crawling for 30mins you'll still be quicker than going via Thonon. Most of the traffic will be going the other way, and you will be early enough to miss the worst of it. Good luck ! Toofy Grin

v1cky24, Morzine/Les Gets has plenty for three days, but if you want to splash for a PDS pass one day it's quick and easy to get over to Les Crosets via Avoriaz. You can be in Suisse in three lifts (4 if you sensibly down-load on the Swiss Wall chair!) and back to Morzine with two (taking the shuttle-bus to & from Les Prodains) if you want, so not too daunting if you are blue run+ skiers. Have Fun ! snowHead
snow report
shep wrote:

v1cky24, Morzine/Les Gets has plenty for three days, but if you want to splash for a PDS pass one day it's quick and easy to get over to Les Crosets via Avoriaz. You can be in Suisse in three lifts (4 if you sensibly down-load on the Swiss Wall chair!) and back to Morzine with two (taking the shuttle-bus to & from Les Prodains) if you want, so not too daunting if you are blue run+ skiers. Have Fun ! snowHead

or save the bus ride and go via the S-Morzine route in 3 lifts Very Happy I also may have a non swiss wall option from Prodains in 3 lifts:

Prodains-Tour-Mossette ?? (not sure on this!)

or

S-Morzine-Proclou-Mossette

Either way, its blue runs in between lifts Very Happy

yes, before you ask, Im sat here with an old piste map wishing I was in the area Sad
ski holidays
BJP, we always avoid Cluses and take J15, Vallee Verte, which is just after the toll - others on here prefer another junction but can't remember which one it is, maybe 16, but we find taking 15 works well and we go through the various villages. You will see the local transfer buses all going this way.
latest report
Pamski, J17 and going through Marignier is my current preference. Apart from a very odd left turn at very odd traffic lights in Marignier. Oh and you'll probably have to force your way across the nose to tail PDS and GM traffic coming down from Chatillon towards Cluses. On the 4th I'd probably go via Cluses thinking about it

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-12-13 9:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy