Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Unofficial Portes du Soleil not-the-weather Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I'm off to avoriaz on the 4th for the first time, so the discussion of good/bad runs and timescales for reaching the far corners of PdS is very interesting.
Not sure how easy it will be to get to les gets and back ? - don't want to get stranded in the wrong valley !

however, one thing i've failed to find online is a good piste map - what iv'e found is either a .jpg file where the piste names are too fuzzy to read, OR a clear pdf that has the lift names, but none of the piste names ??? Am i missing something ???

I've spent too much time on youtube looking for footage of the area - getting over excited (and somehow a bit intimidated* as I'm a rubbish skier....)

I seem to have decided to do the swiss wall (only in good light and good snow however) and there is the strange attraction of the snow-parks where I'll probably hurt myself....... (rails are stupid.)

Also, any recommendations for ski schools ? as i'm staying in avoriaz, is the only real option the alpine school ?

G.

*(off topic ish) read the recent telegraph 5-scariest runs story and thread here - I've done the harikiri in mayrhofen, the snow was very good and I managed ok by taking my time with my turns and having a few stops on the super steep bit - However, I have now seen various youtube videos of people falling at the very top and hurtling all the way down - eek ! if i'd seen these crashes first, i probably wouldn't have gone down it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
doh !

sort of answered by own question - found that the interactive flash piste map has the piste names if you hover over them.

G.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, Les Gets and back is easy. 1 hour (ish) each way for a competent blue and red run skier. Getting "stranded" in Les Gets isn't the end of the world as here is a paid bus to Morzine; a free bus to Prodains and you go up the cable car. (There are other places in the Portes du Soleil that getting stranded is a far less attractive option. For example, Les Crozets is a long, long, long, long, long way by road from Avoriaz.)

In terms of piste maps, one problem is that the area's so big that it's difficult to publish a PDF piste map in enough detail. The Avoriaz web site has a good, zoomable interactive piste map and there are both Avoriaz and Portes du Soleil iPhone apps that have good piste maps.

As mentioned elsewhere, you can download the Chavanette chair that runs downs the side of the Swiss Wall. I'd recommend doing a roundtrip on the chair to "inspect" the run before you do it if you at all doubt your ability. How hard any run is is as much a function of conditions and how you're feeling as of perceived "difficulty". I struggled today on a blue after spending most of the day skiing fairly steep off-piste and bumps.

The Avoriaz Alpine Ski school is good. If you want native English-spaeking alternative then the following will also do privates (but not group lessons, unless you have your own group) in Avoriaz:
- www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk (based in Les Gets)
- www.thesnowinstitute.co.uk (based in Morzine)
- Mike Hammond (www.skiskills.co.uk) (based in Linderats / Avoriaz)
- BASS Morzine (go figure!)

Enjoy your trip and stay safe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Folks, if you're in resort tomorrow then please pay attention to the avalanche risk, which is likely to be 4 for most of the PDS (although possibly less down towards the lake end of things).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi FS,

thanks for all the advice. I'll defo try the inspection for the wall. I'll also wait for later in the week, and early in the morning - It took me a couple of days last year for my body/mind to remember how to do turns properly. (i ended up going off by myself on some blues for a day trying to sort myself out)
(I was out in tignes last year and did a couple of the unpisted blacks that had mogully steep parts ( one might have been called golf?) - I fell once, but was ok otherwise once I got my head around how dynamic/committed I needed to be.)

I'll check out those schools, thanks. Glad you think 'AASS' a good option too.

on the subject of pushing things, is there a 'small' / beginner half pipe in the area ? I've played around in them in the past, but the 'super-pipe' is way way too big to go anywhere near.

crossing fingers for good weather now; it seems quite variable at the moment.

Just saw the picture of the avalanche in one of the snow parks - looks a bit scary !

G.

(I need to try to avoid spending any money in the next few weeks to pay for those expensive french 'pints', however ebay is tempting me to buy a telecaster at the moment... )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes be careful, just woken to about 25cm in village a avalanche booms everywhere....! Going to be a fun day but ski safe!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Folks, if you're in resort tomorrow then please pay attention to the avalanche risk, which is likely to be 4 for most of the PDS (although possibly less down towards the lake end of things).

Wrong thread wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going to Mr Dentist on Monday as long as I don't throw up all over him Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee, fixed? Tooth? Tummy? Both?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatgaz, Wé used Evolution 2 in Avoriaz last year. Very good: small group and excellent teacher who spoke english very well. Would recommend them.
http://www.ecoledeglisse.com/index.php
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just want to say that the Changabang is rubbish and that you should all stay out of it.

I say this because were we unable to get a table in there, for the first time ever, today. I blame t'internet Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni, exactly what I've been saying about a certain hill in LG for years Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Edit for damage limitation
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou, thick, thick lovely new snow on the Marmotte late morning, but the run along the top to get there was a real face exfoliator - he disappeared off the top as soon as he could and I made my way down a bit more slowly as we were in thick cloud. We had been having a lovely time skiing in all the trees on the Morzine side and it had been my idea to go over to that unmentionable other side. On the way home on the bus later the bus driver gave a very voluble and long explanation of why he was running so late - basically cars all over the place near the Perrieres lift and for the first time ever here we then saw police stopping cars and making them put chains on. The Labrador hill could have been a bit of a challenge otherwise. By pass road fine - others a bit tricky.
I've been counting sheets and towels this afternoon for lettings in February - never seem to come to the same answer twice!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski, have to say that most of my OMG 'weather' moments have been up there, particularly at the very top of Chamois - possibly because it's so convenient and we pop up there for one more run!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatgaz, our kids are going to Freedom2Ski, who are all English speaking and seem to come well recommended.
latest report
If this is the Not-the-Portes-du-Soleil-weather thread, can I just say that the weather in Bangalore was lovely today. Cool
latest report
Going to PdS Very Happy for first time at half term so am trying to find out about runs etc. Have a few questions!

1) we are staying in Champéry. Planning to get 1st cable car up in morning so how long might it take to get to St Jean d'Aulps? Is best route to ski to Ardent then get buses? And would it be worth going?
2) where is Hidden Valley? In Linga or Plaine Dranse area? Does "hidden" mean it's tricky to find?!
3) I gather Morzine is very busy at half term - how feasible is skiing over there (and Les Gets) from Champéry and when would we need to start back? I'm slowest skier in group - standard female not-very-good intermediate - but don't need to stop and can go faster if pushed. Given it'll be busy (but no Parisians?) then would we be better staying on Swiss side and Chatel area?

Thanks for all the info on here - like to get a vague idea of where we'll be skiing.
snow report
AW, wouldnt bother with ST J D - you'll need two buses from Ardent and it will be a time consuming hassle.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee +1
snow conditions
For anyone staying in Les Gets who doesn't want to drive in the evening there is now a Night Shuttle -
http://enm.lesgets.com/navette-nocturne.html
You call them up and they collect you, its 2 euros a head, kids under 12 if accompanied are free, and then you ring from wherever you want to be picked up to go home.
My neighbours used it for the first time last night and said it all worked fine.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, FlyingStantoni, thanks - suspected as much looking at map but good to have it confirmed. Seems to be plenty of good skiing nearer Champéry Smile . Can't wait.
ski holidays
AW, there's lots of skiing in Crosets, along the Swiss side through Champoussin and Morgins, and over to Chatel; or the cable car and two chairlifts will see you in the Fornet bowl above Avoriaz, or ski down to Lindarets and up to "Plaine Dranse" ... if you really want to make the journey to LG, you need to allow, I guess, a minimum of 2 hours 30 each way mainly because of lift queues and delays crossing Morzine. Leave early and it can be done, but at half term it can be stressful because you're worried about getting back. You don't need to do it.

edit: and don't tell anyone but the Swiss side is much quieter than the French. Some of the lifts are a bit slow (not in Les Crosets) but the lack of crowds makes up for that.
ski holidays
sanman, thanks! Liking the look of Chatel and the Swiss side anyway but may make a foray further afield later in the week if not too busy.
latest report
Can anyone give an indication of what time the lifts stop?
snow report
Looks like I'll be visiting Morzine/PDS for 3 days in March, so I'll be keeping a keen eye on this unofficial thread until then..

Keep up the good work! Toofy Grin
latest report
Wozzy, They vary a bit - typically 16.30, some of the very low ones a bit later. Are you a last lift kind of guy?

Welcome to snowheads!
snow report
Does anyone know if l'Etale has a band playing on a Fri evening this year? Hoping for a champagne cocktail and listening to a few "choons" this weekend.
latest report
Thanks for the welcome DJL. Yes will be maximising the ski pass during my first ever visit to PDS in just over a week. I wonder how the guy who was about as excited as an 8 year old got on last week?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to snowHeads Wozzy.

If you have an iPhone then Avoriaz and the Portes du Soleil have (two, separate) apps that give you lift opening and closing times. (Apps may be available for Android and Windows phones.)

At the moment, closing times tend to be 16:00 for higher lifts; 16:30 for lower lifts and 16:45 for link lifts.

The closing times change at some point, but I'm not sure when. Annoyingly, I can't find any info online.
ski holidays
HI FS, enjoying your posts.

I have an android phone and have yet to find a suitable App although have downloaded the Skisat App so at least I will have an idea where I might be at any one time in the PDS.

Looks like I will have to spend the end of each day in and around Avoriaz and hopefully avoiding all these crazy Patry Nights - perhaps I should become a grumpy old git, oh I am one already according to my kids!!! Thankfully they aren't coming with me but going with a group of friends who like to dance and party Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Current closing times are here

I think they change in February, but don't hold me to that.
snow conditions
Thanks Doc. Anybody know if there are any WiFi hotspots in Avoriaz?
latest report
2euros at the tourism office
latest report
Quote:

Current closing times are here

I think they change in February, but don't hold me to that.

According to the telechampery site from 11 Feb some of the lifts close 15 mins later http://www.telechampery.ch/editorial.php?nav=116&pageType=1&language=1&season=1 so I'm guessing that might be similar across the whole area?
ski holidays
Nice finds doctor_eeyore and AW.
snow report
Wozzy wrote:
Thanks Doc. Anybody know if there are any WiFi hotspots in Avoriaz?

Changabang cafe across from top of Prodain Cable car (top)
ski holidays
Thanks Summer brill otherwise might have to purchase time in my apartment. I thought Changabang was a rubbish place???!!!! Puzzled
ski holidays
Wozzy wrote:
I thought Changabang was a rubbish place???!!!! Puzzled

Regulars here will confirm that I'm a bit of a fan and we eat there most days we're in Avoriaz.

Nice people, speedy(ish) service, reasonable to very good food and cheap prices. The chicken sandwich, chilli and onion rings are very good. The burgers are good and 4-5 euros cheaper than most of the alternative places.
ski holidays
One for the girls - ladies loos sometimes being few and far between - we were over at St Jean d'Aulps again today, lots of lovely up and downs by the double chair at la Chévrerie where the new snow was still great and lots of it unskied at about 11 o'clock - and at the bottom by the chair is a newish ticket office and in there are some fairly decent loos.
A really good chocolat chaud and small beer were enjoyed a bit later at the cafe near the top of that double chair - 5 euros was ok.
snow conditions
Wozzy wrote:
Thanks Summer brill otherwise might have to purchase time in my apartment. I thought Changabang was a rubbish place???!!!! Puzzled

Normally quite good if I am teaching with kids in the Avoriaz direction I generally get asked by parents to take them there. It's not gourmet but very friendly, good chocolate brownies and coffee. Also used to be good Brekkie when I worked in Morzine and was up in Avoriaz early!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy