Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Unofficial Portes du Soleil not-the-weather Thread

Poster: A snowHead
In other PDS news my team won the pub quiz at the Sherpa last night - we also came first in the foil modelling round, which we are most proud of Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nadenoodlee, brilliant. Where else can you get this sort of information? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee wrote:
...we also came first in the foil modelling round, which we are most proud of Very Happy

And pray tell. What did you make?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A picture would be good Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, it was a pirate theme so we made a treasure chest complete with assorted treasure.

Lou, no photo- we were too drunk!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, on rum I hope, considering the theme Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Telemark race in Les Crosets this Saturday.....always absolute hoot!

ne vous reste que quelques jours pour vous préparer pour l'événement tant attendu: la Colargol Cup !!!!!

Car c'est ce samedi, le 4 février, que nous avons tous rendez-vous du côté de Champéry-Les Crosets pour enfin démarrer cette saison de la t3b.
La météo devrait être plutôt pas mal, faudra juste compter sur des températures assez fraîches...

Alors sors tes moufles, enfile ta cagoule et on t'attend:

de 8h à 9h30 pour les inscriptions au café-restaurant le Gueullhi à Champéry (à côté du téléphérique)
dès 10h pour la reconnaissance du parcours sur un tout nouveau secteur
à 10h50 pour la traditionnelle prière, snuf, ... (consommation de gnôle exceptionnellement autorisée pour combattre les températures annoncées !!)
à 11h pour le 1er départ
et ensuite c'est dans l'aire d'arrivée que ca se passera avec de quoi te ravitailler
pour finalement se retrouver
dès 17h pour la remise des prix au café-restaurant du Nord dans la rue du village de Champéry

Alors à samedi !!

nico/colargolteam/t3bfamily
www.t3b.ch

See you there and wrap up well....Minus 20?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I probably can't make it sorry summer. I will try to swing by at least though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there anyone around next week who knows the Les Gets Back country or hidden gems?
I could be persuaded to offer them a fine lunch in exchange for a bit of a guided tour!
Failing that I will hire a guide for the day, but it would be nice to meet any local snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another question, PdS experts - how long is it likely to take us to get down the lift at Prodains at the end of the day? Les enfants finish their lessons at 5pm, so we'll need to get down the lift to get picked up by our chalet folk - I guess we can ring them once we're on the lift, but what will the queues be like at the end of the day in half term week? I imagine as the snow's good at least the whole world won't be heading to Avoriaz for the day, but just wondered when "rush hour" is to come down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lift question from me please... is the link from Pre La Joux to Ardent susceptible to closure, if so how susceptible? Thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The big new speedy chairlift sarah,? I doubt it
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, all link lifts can close in very bad (windy) weather, but they don't open the links if they suspect that they might have to close them. Those link lifts are quite new; the ridge isn't that exposed and I've not seen it close for anything other than 10-15 minutes. The worst I've experienced is being trapped on the wrong side of the ridge for three hours because of a massive power cut to the whole of the Linga / Pre la Joux / Plaine Dranse valley and the backup power on the link lifts failing.

I always worry more about the links over to Les Crosets as the link lifts were older and the link ridge is much, much more exposed.

Personally, though, I always try to carry a credit card if I ski outside of my "home" area as the ski domain don't take any responsibility for getting you home if you're stranded.

andy from embsay, no idea sorry as I've never downloaded at that time when it's been busy. The chalet will have a better idea. If the kids can ski a stiff blue then the run down takes 10-15 minutes depending on the tiredness of the kids. The only caveat is that it's worth you skiing it first as the very last pitch is steep and can be icy. In general, though, it doesn't have the "carnage factor" of the run down to Ardent. (We call the left hand bend on the run down to Ardent "carnage corner" because of what it's like at 5pm during the school holidays.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, FlyingStantoni, Thanks very much. I don't know the area at all, so had no idea if it was a 'windy' link or not wink Very reassured by your answers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

(We call the left hand bend on the run down to Ardent "carnage corner" because of what it's like at 5pm during the school holidays.)

love this - we have all or own names for different lifts and cafes etc - I have no idea what the six man lift is properly called at Avoriaz which takes you up close to the apartment blocks - those where there was a fire the other year when the lift was stopped and the people on it had to inhale the smoke for a bit, but I digress - that lift is known to all of us as the Bonking Lift - merely because you travel so close to the windows you never know what you might see.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, when you say "the run down" do you mean to Super Morzine? You can't ski right back to town can you?

Or do you mean to ski to Prodains? There looks to be a lift that goes back to the Verane(?) chair?
snow report
andy from embsay, I think from reading this that FlyingStantoni, means the run down to Prodains if you choose to ski down rather than take the cable car down. As he says
Quote:

the very last pitch is steep and can be icy

it was fine when we did it the other day but I always take the last bit rather cautiously just in case. If its been a long day for the kids it could be just a step too far but you know your own children and how much they can do.

The run down to the Super Morzine bubble down Zore is always quite benign.
snow conditions
Okay all you PDS experts as someone has brought up the subject of wind and lifts is there a recommended region to ski or avoid when there is a stiff SE wind blowing, which looks to be likely for the next week?
snow conditions
ThanksPamski, i'm sure that's what's meant. Part of my problem is i don't really know what they can do yet, as it's 5 years since they went to France and it's all been indoors so far this time. For the first day or two we'll either take our chance on the lift down or ski down to Super Morzine, which as you say (and I have heard) is pretty gentle.

They're starting to get very excited now - unlike their mum (who's not coming with is as she's not keen on ski lifts due to a bit of a claustophobia thing - no problems with skiing!) as we've never all been away for this long before. Bless...
latest report
andy from embsay, I'm assuming your lessons will start/finish at the area between the snow park and the run to the top of the cable car. If so you head down through the village and the ski run down to Prodains is a run called Crot. Just past the cable car top station and head ahead/right. Eventually it joins up with the bottom of the black run "Coupe du Monde" and whilst there is a blue run snaking around to avoid most of the steeper bits the bottom is indeed steep.... and covered in moguls at the end of the day.... and often icy.... and generally has a lot of artificial snow on it. I wouldn't recommend it for kids at the end of a long day. Far better to get the cable car down to Prodains if you are parked there or picking up a bus there or to head over to the Zore run / Super Morzine bubble if you have time.

If you are on your own during lessons you could head up to Les Hauts Forts and ski the whole of the Coupe as it is a great run and gives you a chance to inspect the bottom pitch.

Sounds like your kids are nearly as excited as I am!
snow conditions
DJL they start/finish by the big piste map right outside the Prodains lift apparently. Thanks for the tip on the run down - suspect it's not worth battling down it on tired legs - a gentle pootle back down to Super Morzine sounds like it's in order. How late does Super Morzine run for?
latest report
Not sure how late it closes I'm afraid as we are over in Chatel so have to be out of Avoriaz by around 16.00 latest .

I think someone posted a link to a timetable of opening and closing times but I can't spot it
snow conditions
Lift closing time link - its in there somewhere!
http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/GB_home.html
latest report
This should do it

http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/GB_tarifs-horaires.html
snow conditions
Looks like we're skiing to Prodains or Prodains telecabbining down - can't see how we'd get down to Super Morzine in time, as I think we need to get back up to get down (as it were).
snow report
Great shot of Chatel with pan/tilt/zoom. Shot from a helicopter over the valley I guess.

Can be found on the Chatel.com website or here:

http://www.balloide-photo.com/panovision/Panovision%20de%20Chatel%20-%20hiver/chatel.html
ski holidays
Changabang "Galapeno" burgers are awesome. There's my update of the day.

God speed
snow report
Does anyone know a plasterer in Les Gets or Morzine for an urgent job?
Not a big one, just a bit short on time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chattonmill, creppey or proper plaster. Frankly, if it's creppey the you can do it yourself if it's stippled.

I know someone who is a plasterer by trade. I'll send him a message on Facebook to see if he's willing to do.
snow conditions
Proper plaster that doesn't strip your knuckles!
That would be great!
latest report
Chattonmill, have sent a message. Will let you know if I get a reply.
latest report
Almost too cold to BBQ this evening!

The lid of the BBQ was frozen shut and the gas supply knob was a bit annoyed, but I finally managed to get it on...
snow report
Beware old lifts on Swiss side today...Cold weather is making them a bit susceptible to stoppages.....! Took two hours to get most of them running yesterday, Mossettes Swiss was frozen all day!
ski holidays
Most likely place to get caught-out on a windy day is the Champoussin-->Les Crosets link, the 2-man to the Pointe de l'Au. Skiers can bypass it with a long poling traverse off the Chez Gaby 4-man, boarders not so easy! If starting the PdS-circuit from the French side, always go anti-clockwise (on a windy day) to avoid it.
snow conditions
Colder than a penguins chuff here today! I will be mainly practising the art of baking after work - far too cold for me and my stupid cold fingers! hmmm maybe I should make pastry....
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads shep.
ski holidays
shep, You're absolutely right about going anti clockwise. Trouble is our apartment is in Petit Chatel and as a bus ride is needed to close the loop we always set off from Barbossine and then over to Morgins. I've done that poling bit a few times (notably when the Pointe d'Au lift was out and that pathetic rope tow was in action) and it's no fun.
snow report
Anyone know which other resorts you get a discount/ free day pass in if you have a PDS season pass? I have heard mentions of some kind of booklet but I was stupid enough to send mr NN to pick up the passes and he didn't ask
snow report
Nadenoodlee, you need to have bought the 3 euros booklet of 3 vouchers with your season pass. I'm pretty sure that you can buy it retrospectively if you haven't. The list is on the vouchers, but includes:
- Flaine
- Megeve
- Chamonix (or 50% off Mont Blanc Unlimited)
- Les Houches (treated separately from Chamonix)
- La Clusaz
- Les Contamines
- Le Grand Bonnard

Plus a load of smaller resorts like Praz de Lys / Sommard.

For these vouchers you can only have one day in each resort.

You also get 4 vouchers for 50% off in a load of Swiss resorts including Verbier. These vouchers can be used for multiple days, but you have to buy one day at a time.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, merci beaucoup, I shall go and chat to the ladies/dragons at the Pleney.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy