Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Unofficial Portes du Soleil not-the-weather Thread

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name, true true, but he asked so nicely!

Easy for the GM to get you home, when you can only end up further up or down the same valley (in the same country). If Pas de Morgin is closed it's 2 1/2 hours from Les Crosets to Les Gets by road, add in the night-rate supplement and cross-border charge to the swiss-taxi fare and you can see why PDS don't want to know!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The new Pleney lift was just superb in January. Even at ski school start time, there were no queues at all. I think it will cope well, even at half term.

I'm off to Champery 1st week of March. It will be my first time there so have no idea of what to expect. I am hoping to avoid drag lifts but I am a guest on the trip so will be going with the flow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, Champery (or Les Crosets which is the ski area really) has very few drag lifts now. Ripaille (needed to reach the chairlift up the Wall) is the major exception. However if you are intent on ski-ing the wall it can be reached from the Fornet bowl in Avoriaz of course.

If you come along the valley to Champoussin and Morgins (and you should) there are a few more drags, but they aren't too bad.

Good to hear about the new Pleney. Will be back there early March and will be making the Les Gets pilgrimage then.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that shep. Cracking tip but we may have to wait until later in the week as we have a beginner with us. Presumably you would also have to get your lift pass the day before (we tend to buy a separate pass for each area we ski each day).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hawkeye, and thinking about it you won't come to a ticket office if you park on the road up to Avoriaz - so you are quite correct, get your passes the day before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sanman, Thanks for that. I have done the full tour from Morzine, once, through Morgins, Chattel, Le Croset etc and remember quite a few drags somewhere over near Morgins. In fact there were so many drags near Morgins, if it had been blowing 100mph, I could have thought I was in Scotland Laughing I am a boarder so I would prefer to avoid them, if possible. I can ride them if there is no option though.

The Wall is probably not on my list. Very steep mogulled pistes are not much fun on boards, especially when there is so much good terrain elsewhere in PDS.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker, Super Chatel/Morgins has the drags you are thinking of. Not possible to avoid them if you are in that sector.

The Swiss side is not too bad though. No need to ride down The Wall - most people take the chair. You will need the drag sanman mentions if you want to head back from Les Crosets to the Fornet bowl by the chair going up The Wall though but you can avoid it by going into Les Crosets and taking Mosettes or Grand Conche chair and then the Cubore chair.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry bar shaker, was not aware you were on a board, my fault for making the assumption, yes DJL is right, there are some pretty steep and awkward drags on the Chatel side of Morgins (or possibly it is the Morgins side of Chatel, I am never sure where the join is Very Happy)

You can certainly do most of les Crosets without using a drag lift, and to get to the centre of Morgins, there are two (but there are none that you have to take on the way back, curiously, although there are a couple you will need if you stray off the circuit down into Champoussin.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hawkeye, You're welcome! Accessing at the Fromagerie drops you straight into the Super-Morzine green/blue sector, so better for your beginner than Linderets actually. But yes you would need to have passes already, or pick them up at the little cabin by the Avoriaz outdoor carpark (bottom of the mini-boardpark) only 20 yards from the road, and then drive back down to the Fromagerie. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Guys!

sanman, an easy mistake to make wink Looking at the map, I used Les Coqs and Corbeau on my previous 'tour'. Les Coqs broke down leaving some of our group suspended for 20 minutes. Glad I was on the cable that continued running.

The map doesn't show a piste back to Champery. Is there a good off piste route or is it only the cable car back down?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker, there are supposedly two pistes back to Champery - one "down the front" which is rarely open because it faces south and goes low (I have never skied it) and one long red that goes off the top of the Ripaille drag. You need to bomb this at the top to get up momentum for the bottom - difficult because it is narrow and you are likely to be slowed by dawdlers - and even then you will have trouble lower down as it is flat, flat, flat. Not much fun on skis and even less on a board. It also finishes some way out of town so there is a (short) bus ride as well. I would get the cable car down if I were you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The new Morzine gondola is doing a brilliant job. No queues even on day 1 of the half term. The fresh snow (knee deep) made skiing tricky on the unpisted blacks and reds. Anyone that thought I kept falling on the Yeti this morning can be assured it was actually 'street theatre' to keep those on the chairlift amused!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it just me, or was it supernaturally quiet today around Morzine-Les Gets? 0930, no queue on the new Pleney gondola. No queue on any lift, anywhere, any time today. 1100 at the little restaurant at the top of La Rosta virtually empty. 1300 Pointe de Nyon restaurant several tables for six people standing empty when we walked in. The snow was glorious - soft light powder great for playing in although I got a fat lip from an errant passing tree (or rather from an errant me passing by a perfectly innocent tree whose twig-like branches were just trying to catch some snow instead of me).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Queued for 20 mins on chavannes express at one point. Elsewhere I didn't have to queue more than 5 mins though (and was a lot quieter on the morzine side). Yes snow was nice, though no sunshine today Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few posts higher up sanman, comments on routes to Champery. I've skied down to Grand Paradis from Ripaille many times and also from the top of the cable car to the bottom of the second Planachaux chair but have no idea where the Planachaux - Grand Paradis piste goes.

I notice it is on the Champery piste report http://www.sisag.ch/download/champery/Champery.pdf but always appears to be closed. Is it ever open?

I'm always keen to find a few new runs and would have thought after the recent snow that there should be enough to get down it now.
latest report
Still not enough snow for it to be open. The lower slopes are pretty scratchy. I ski it home sometimes and when there is new snow the tree runs there are amazing. If it suddenly opens I will post Smile
ski holidays
Whats the snow like at the moment, and any chance of a dump now before end of season or is that all she wrote?
latest report
Snow good although warm weather means its starting to get heavy on lower slopes and a little thin in places. Maybe a snow sprinkling on Saturday night
snow report
Err this is not the weather thread....the other one's over there>>>>>
snow report
Oops sorry but ironically i have never been able to find the weather thread, I found this one ages ago and subscribed, but can't fidn the other. Won't do it again, but thanks for the feedback.
ski holidays
gordonrussell76, Onlyjoking BTW snowHead
snow conditions
I did not take it in anyway badly. I do know there is a proper thread somewhere which is why this one exists as a run off for all the off-topic (but actually often more useful) inside info about the PDS. I just wish i knew where the other thread was so the 2 weeks or so a year where I don't want to talk bol&^x and actually care whether its snowing I can check Smile
ski holidays
gordonrussell76, all the
Quote:

talk bol&^x

can be just as interesting and useful. We have just gone from St Jean d'Aulps where we had been skiing to the Prodains area to collect some glass for a new shelf in the fridge (why oh why do people renting a chalet not tell you that they have broken it, or the corkscrew so we, as owners, have to discover it and then organise replacements) - the friend we have staying with us said he was beginning to feel quite like a local going off to the glaziers etc. We did carry on to show him where the new Prodains lift goes, and saw the new little poma drag that has been put in there. I imagine that must be for people who are dropped off or park well before the new big lift can go up and ski across to it.
ski holidays
I hear what you say about feeling like a local. 3 years ago I had to replace a light switch and repair a door on our dresser in our flat and went on a little mission to Morzine DIY, felt very enterprising and said door and light switch are still working. The joys of apartment ownership.

ps french wiring made my head hurt, do not try at home

G
snow report
gordonrussell76, we always have little repairs and improvements to carry out.
ski holidays
gordonrussell76, the weather thread is in the Snow Reports section under Avoriaz/Chatel/etc. Thanks for resurrecting this one though, it was probably down around page six of the Piste by now Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Loved our trip to morzine this year, naughty as we went the week before half term. We really like the place, so much so we go back in summer for some dh mountain biking.

Next year I don't think we can get the kids to skip school, so we are considering easter holiday as it's early, think it starts 28/3/15.

Would morzine be any good? Thinking of booking early to get the best location/value Appartment. Don't mind slush, just don't wasn't to end up hill walking!

Simone
snow report
Morzine aime les femmes! This week is ladies week in Morzine apparently with all kinds of ladies sessions http://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/morzine-aime-les-femmes.html Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big changes happening at the Grand Ourse on Mt Chery.
Fron next year The main restaurant is closing and being turned into a high class chalet with helipad and all.
There will be a restaurant but only 40 odd covers.
They will still do the gourmets evenings.
latest report
Chattonmill, presumably snowcat access when it's a bit misty?
snow report
Yep, skidoos as well. It is being designed by the same guy who did the Shard.
Sounds amazing!
snow report
Cats and skidoos (non-emergency) are banned from open pistes by Arrete Prefectorial since 6 or 7 years ago. Can't imagine the chopper being allowed in there for fun either during opening hours. So the chalet would be cut-off to non-skiers.
snow report
Chattonmill, well that's a great shame Sad While I wish the Vennings much success (presuming they are staying?) we have enjoyed our many visits there as have many 'normal' skiers Toofy Grin Helipad etc PAH!
latest report
shep, the Owners already have permission for skidoos( I saw them heading off on Tuesday)
They also own and run a piston bully, although I think that us limited to the evenings.
igLou, the Vennings are doing the changes.
latest report
Oh, ok then, well played owners!
latest report
Anyone driving between Morzine and Les Gets should beware/be aware that the Morzine horses are out each side of the road - we saw someone armed with her broom moving them out of her garden this afternoon. Its when you go round the corner and they are all over the road it can be a problem. We have had them up where we are in the past, hoof marks everywhere but I was alarmed a few years ago to be walking home and see a few big pigs - OH pointed them out and I thought he was joking but as we got closer realised he was right. They disappeared up behind our neighbours chalet - and left lots of evidence.
ski holidays
Bump! Reviving this so non-weather queries on the Weather thread can be re-directed here.

Someone did start a new PdS related general thread last year, which is why this one became dormant, but I can't find it, so I've dragged this one from its electronic grave.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112662&start=320

@sanman, the current 'not the weather' thread is very active!!
latest report
@sanman, just bumped the latest one for 2015/2016.
snow conditions
Ah that's great. Why did it not come up in my search results? I searched every one of the words in its title and, nothing. Oh well.

Edit: it's in the Resort Reviews forum.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy