Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

-30C today

Poster: A snowHead
brrrrr.

Our albertan revenge for all the recent warm weather. Hope there aren't too many snowheads in Banff....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And it looks like it's getting colder.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's chilly. gryphea, hope you've rushed out and done the bucket of water in the air trick.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Remember when I lived in Michigan the snot used to freeze in my nose before I got to the bottom of the front porch steps Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The lowest temperature in Germany on Monday morning was -41°C at Funtensee near Königssee (where the World Luge Championships were held over the weekend). That's one degree colder than the point at which the Celcius and Fahrenheit scales meet Shocked

and only about 40kms from where i live! Sad It was a bit brass monkey this morning too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is chilly. I dislike it immensely. The car is sooooo cold when I get back into it after work; ice freezes at the base of all the windows in our house (inside) and its generally horrible.

Kids walking to school in mask and goggles today.

Still - looking like its just a cold snap and should be 0 by saturday...................
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS the coldest we skied was Breckenridge. It was -25 F and my husband dropped his goggles. His eyes froze.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice and crispy... skied at down to -28 in Churchill Falls, Labrador...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, That seems very cold, I see that this place seems to have a unique geography that traps cold air and has in fact got down to -45.9°C, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Funtensee/133849513363643
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

just a cold snap

Indeed.

I am amusing myself thinking of the total, utter, cataclysmic disruption of society in the UK if the temperature fell that low. People would be eating their own children
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
all our patients are walking in saying how cold it is (started off at -2 when I came to work) a comfortable +2 now Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was -31 somewhere in Switzerland today...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waynos, yes it is but a DJ from the antenne Bayern radi station ski toured in a couple of years back and camped there for a week in January at the lowest point.

I've skied at Axamer Lizum and Gastein when the temperatures were deep into the -20s. Minus 29°C at the bottom Station of Sport Gastein and -27°C at Axamer Lizum. Both days I ended up with Frost-Nip on my cheeks and ear lobes, despite regular and rigerous checking and rubbing!

Shimmy Alcott, I notice the cold much more in the UK when I come back. There is a bone-cutting coldness about the constant damp winds that blow in the UK that you get used to as an inhabitant, but is very disconcerting to someone who is not used to it! Even in the summer months I now feel much colder than my friends who live there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When me and Anna did our Canada and USA trip 3 years ago to the exact day, we got the train trom Toronto to Niagara Falls, USA side. You cross the river on a huge bridge and the train driver was giving us a commentary over the tannoy system. I will never forget when he said, " and if you look to the right you can see the spray from Niagara falls, its a cold one today, its -32c" i had never been so cold in my life, until the next day!!! We got up bright and early and headed for the falls. We saw 4 people all day at one of the wonders of the world, and it was amazing. The falls were frozen above and below with ice, and that day it was -42c. I have never been so cold in all my life. Thank god the wind was very light at no more that 5mph!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I notice the cold much more in the UK when I come back

Me too. I think it's a combination of those damp winds, compared to the dry atmosphere more prevalent in the mountains, and the lack of sunshine, and the fact that we don't wear sensible clothes at home!

I remember one freezing cold day my son was playing in a junior school football match and v keen that we went to watch. I wore ski clothes, including salopettes, big gloves, neck buff, hat etc. people looked at me as if I was daft, as they shivered....
ski holidays
-8.5c when I left to go to work today..still cycling in 3/4 shorts..the swiss think us Brits are mad, so i like to keep up the image.

its the wind that makes the cold in the UK here in Switzerland you hardly ever have anything near UK winds..no Northsea breezes or atlantic gales to make the monkeys brass
latest report
I also find the cold here, temp for temp more bearable than the damp cold in the UK. I always equate -10C here to around +0-5 in the UK. But by anyones standard -30C is cold and you stand a very good chance of frostbite on exposed skin within 10mins. Even winter tyres can still too brittle

Ski-hills appear to be shut.

The week we moved out here the temps were -18C and I remember thinking my kids would die of hypothermia on the way to picking up the rental car. They didn't.

The schools don't close for snow or cold here. I believe kids start to die on school steps if they close the schools.

School kids play out (recess) until -20C (including a wind chill).
ski holidays
I could probably cope with minus 30 in the right place, with the right stuff, and if I had to, but no way would I want to do it for fun, and I would try to avoid booking a ski holiday anywhere where those sort of temperatures are likely. The first winter we were in the Alps there were some weeks of minus 15, sometimes with a bit of wind chill on top, and that was as cold as I'd want to put up with for fun.
latest report
It's currently about -42c with windchill in Marmot Basin - ski hills shut for the 2nd day now. Jasper is also bitterly cold - currently about -30c-ish. Even in full gear 10 minutes was all I could manage standing outside....
snow report
gryphea - All the ski hills or just CoP??

Certainly is a bit chilly today - here's hoping it warms up by the weekend.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
There is a bone-cutting coldness about the constant damp winds that blow in the UK that you get used to as an inhabitant,

Shocked I never have Shocked
snow conditions
sweaman2, COP, NAksika and Sunshine for sure. Not sure about Louise

pam w, -30 is unusally cold for this area. It doesn't stay that cold for long, but you would normally get one or two days a season this cold.

mustdash,are you based at marmot? OH will be there with son for provincials NG at end of month. its looking warmer!
ski holidays
We skied in about -18C to -20C in Les Arcs one year - cold enough for the lifties to give us a warning to pay plenty of attention to the kids (about 7 and 10) as they could suffer from cold quicker than us adults. I don't fancy skiing much colder than that. It got down to about -10C the fantastic night we went night skiing. The skiing isn't so bad when it's cold, the worst bit is sitting on the lifts esp. if there is a breeze.
snow conditions
Skied in -23 in Hemsedal two years ago. Sign posted at one chair lift "Warning - Long Lift. Risk of Frost Damage Because Of Wind..." I only went up the once.[/img]
snow report
gryphea, I'm in Marmot for the season, then heading back to the UK unfortunately....
snow report
gryphea, -30C alone doesn't cause frostbite that fast, you need windchill too for that. Proper clothing and a good circulation will keep your face warm enough too. But windchill will change that very fast indeed.

But the age-old wisdom applies: there is no such thing as bad weather, only improper clothing. Just a damn shame I can't find proper ski boots to deal with the cold. My toes are always the first to complain.
snow report
SkiingDad, the -30C is the pure temp there was wind chill on top. As we cover our faces its more the pure temp we feel (unless its very windy) According to Environment canada you can get frostbite at -30C even without windchill, They developed a feels like scale to change the temps and at feels like -30 you can get frostbite.

Toes: have you tried Hotronics boot gloves or toe warmers ?
ski holidays
To add to gryphea ... http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=n&n=5FBF816A-1#wc5

So this morning it is -31C actual with a "feels like" of -39C so exposed flesh can freezes in about 10 minutes. But the good news is that on Saturday it is going to warm up from -23C to 3!!

The problem with being clothed for -30C is that it does become difficult to do stuff like hold a ski pole .....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..and bend!
latest report
gryphea, I have heated footbeds now. I haven't been able to test them in colder than -19C, though. They're not miraculous, but at those temps they make the difference between hurting toes and just cold toes. Even at mild temperatures like -10C it's bearable but not comfortable.

Mind you, I'm not advocating skiing at -30C. But in my experience, walking with an exposed face in -30 with no wind is fairly OK, but covering your face is indeed more comfy.
latest report
We've had -28c in Finland according to the lift display, and that was at the foot of the hill, though thankfully no wind to speak of. A base layer, light mid and a shell jacket were fine; though I had a belay jacket in the bag just in case. I only really noticed how cold it was if stopped for any period of time. Then it really did chill your bones. A balaclava was also essential for the full on ninja look to stop bits freezing and falling off. The kids were fine, it's all down to layers, minimising exposed skin and being prepared for it...and having a big bag to lug around all their extra layers just in case.
snow report
SkiingDad,

Of course the clinical trials which developed the wind chill /frostbite scale were done on healthy canadian adults. Kids could be very very different. Adults growing up in cold climates may also have physiological adaptations! that I don't have.......

I can't even be bothered to go to the supermarket in these temps...............I just hibernate and lay around watching TV -although did manage to drag myself out for an excercise calcs last night. Thought that was fairly impressive!

Like I've said before -30C is cold by anyone's stretch.
ski holidays
sorry exercise class , not calcs.
snow conditions
We went to Banff a few years ago it was -42C we could not ski even with 2 ski suits on just walking about was difficult.
We parked the car in Banff and went for breakfast when we drove off it felt like we had 4 flat tyres for about 4 miles then they warmed up enough to become round again. The Hotel had a heated carpark!
snow report
Strange world - in Western Cape here in South Africa a heatwave of around 40+C has claimed life yesterday,
farmers we know all sent workers home, again extreme heat predicted for tomorrow.
latest report
Quote:

Adults growing up in cold climates may also have physiological adaptations! that I don't have.......

i'm sure that must be right. I remember a TV programme about cold - people who are regularly exposed to cold (e.g. swim in the sea in the winter in the UK) quickly become much more able to cope than an equivalent person (in terms of age/health) who hibernates from the cold. people who are likely to be dunked in cold water (e.g. helicopter winchmen) are required regularly to dunk themselves in cold water to maintain their physiological resistance. I wa surprised how fast people could both acquire, and lose, the ability to cope with cold without medically dangerous shock.

for a short while after watching the TV programme I always finished my showers with a few minutes cold, but my resolve weakened and I'm now a fully paid up wimp.

At the other end of the temperature scale I spent some time (very little time) in Mali with temperatures of 130 in the shade. But I was being paid to be there - no way would I pay for the privelege of coping with either -30 or 130 if I could avoid it.
ski holidays
mustdash wrote:
It's currently about -42c with windchill in Marmot Basin - ski hills shut for the 2nd day now. Jasper is also bitterly cold - currently about -30c-ish. Even in full gear 10 minutes was all I could manage standing outside....

When I was at Marmot for a week a few years ago, the temperature didn't get above -20c at teh base station, and was around -29 at the top. There were signs on the lifts saying we weren't allowed on without hats.

And when I did one run with my neck warmer not quite pulled up tight against my goggles, I got frost-nip in my cheeks. IT took about 4-5 days before the hard patch that left softened up.
ski holidays
alex_heney,

You obviously ski fast and induce a big wind chill!!
ski holidays
Many years back arrived in Jackson Hole and it was -47. Needless to say none of the slopes were open !
latest report
gryphea, pam w, well there must be a reason why people from hot countries feel very cold in +20C, which is very comfortable for me. Having been in eg. Rome in July, I couldn't fathom how anybody could survive noon in black suits, carabinieri uniforms and nun's/monk's/priest's habits. It can't be done, I tell you!

The cold water dunking also helps you prepare for the panic that strikes you when immersed in icy water. And it's excellent for the circulation, your main defence against the cold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy