Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Evolution 9.0 Boots WTF?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All
I have these Salomon Evo 9.0 Boots (70-80 flex) as my 1st boots.
They got all sorts of bells n tricks (not recommended for Beginners) ...I have 9 days Alpine skiing experience rolling eyes ok.....so..
Does anyone know how to use these boots Puzzled
eg: the Flex adjustment slides on both sides, what do they do?
And does anyone actually use the Ski Walk facility thing, I have forgotten and left it on walk when skiing so leave it on ski now?
Are these just gimmicks or do they make a difference? It would be nice to know how to set them up for the most forgiving setting.
Any advice appreciated
Many Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Used to have some.

Flex adjusment, pain in the butt nonsense. Just set to most "flexible" and leave them there. It's easy to figure out.

Ski Walk, yeah you need to put them in walk to take em off iirc. Other than that does what it says, it basically loosens "the wires" for more comfortable walking.

They are both gimmicks I don't think you will see on current boots. Though I've not checked or owt. My newish boots don't have them that's for sure (Atomic).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the even older Evo 8.0
Still going strong. Great boot. I have never moved the flex slide things.

also, i haven't moved the ski/walk setting in ages (its set to ski - i hope)

FWIW - i am not an expert skier either, so I really don't think you'll have a problem with the 9.0 model

best wishes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
flex adjusters down is softer, up is stiffer, walk mode isn't as much of a walk mode as on the original one , but try to make sure you ski in "ski" mode

BTW it is close to the time to be considering a new boot, technology has moved on and the modern ear of boots are closer to foot shaped than the rounded house brick type shape of most boots of that time
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blimey ..."I thought I had state of the art" on Embarassed
I spose £25 off eBay is a bit below state of the art though...lol
Saw some nice bling ones in Meribel Town for about £2k.... Shocked but I've done my dough on 2 x trips to 3 Vallees this season. Madeye-Smiley
We depart again on 18th Feb Laughing

Thanks for the info on the sliders...they'll be down from now on
Cheers
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just as a final question.......
I enjoy wearing my own boots they fit ok & feel familiar now
I got them for the dry slopes & fridge prior to our 1st trip this year, so as to avoid the tat I was issued on one slope lesson & athletes foot
Anyway in Dec I tried 2 types of boot from the hire shop ( I swapped them on day 3 & opted for a better technical boot.)
Question is:
Do you think it's worth taking mine on our upcoming trip in Feb (packed in suitcase) or am I better off hiring in resort & being fussy/swapping to find the best fit/shape.
(I'd sooner be on the piste than in the hire shop) & could put £ toward a session at hemel prior to going.
But if the technology is superior enough in more modern boots than the Evo 9.0, should I take the opportunity to scope out my next pair by hiring/trying..........I'm told the hire kit is the latest stuff Puzzled

Do you more experienced ski'ers own or hire boots?, I read that good fit in boots is paramount when improving your skiing.
Thanks again

P.S. For those who don't know already, ther is NO such thing as "Superior Boots" in the shop I was referred to, however some tour operators will charge you for "Superior Boots" if you choose them instead of Standard. At least this was my experience in Meribel in Dec.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer, Saw your other thread re skis.

If you do want to change your boots don't waste time and money hiring. Go to a snowHead fitter to buy them and get it done properly. A forum search will tell you who is trusted.

Back on the other subject I'd invest far more time and money in my boots than my skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer, take your own boots, even they are a bit old hat. Experienced skiers will have their own boots. There isn't much technical variation between boots, it's just down to fit and comfort. Do your trips this season, get your moneys worth from your ebay boots then save up over the summer to get some new ones next season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your current boots fit well, and hold your foot snugly, buying new ones probably isn't the top priority for improving your skiing. if they do let your foot slop around then you might be better hiring - IME boots in a resort hire shop will be hugely better than the ones at places like Hemel, and if you are hiring skis anyway the extra cost of hiring boots isn't a lot on top. But yes, ultimately you need to get your own boots and get them properly fitted. We are a bit fanatical on snowheads though, about boots! I see loads of French skiers round here with hired skis and boots who ski better than I am ever likely to!

Meanwhile, top priority for spending is lessons, lessons, lessons!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Points noted
(sat here in Kent with my boots on: waiting to fly to Chambry on Feb 18th)
seeing how tight I can get em without numbing my feet' rolling eyes .....
whilst looking at Inside Out bookings page Madeye-Smiley

Many thanks folks
snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

sat here in Kent with my boots on: waiting to fly to Chambry on Feb 18th

Your feet probably will be numb by then. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, what is this thing about Chambery?

I've not been on this forum long, delved into about maybe 10 threads tops and from what My limited experience tells me, Chambery is actually where Satan's minions poke your damned back bottom down to the abominations of Hell? Seemingly so bad that even Danté couldn't utter it Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If your boots seem to fit, take them. All the best skiers have 'well-loved' equipment which will make evos look positively cutting edge and hire shops can be really hit and miss and definitely not the latest and greatest.

I'd forgotten walk mode - I rather liked it! IIRC You shouldn't be able to leave it in walk when skiing, as soon as you bend your knee into the boot it should 'click' into skiing mode in a quite discernible way.

Enjoy!

aj xx
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy