Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Breakdown Cover - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, we found the link to Speedferries here on snowHeads - for which I am eternally grateful! - and have three bargain return crossings booked for the coming season. We've never done a ski trip by car before so this is a learning experience...not sure we should have booked three until we'd tried one but what the heck!

I'm thinking that annual European Breakdown cover will be cheaper than three seperate weeks. Prices vary wildly from under £60 to well over £100 so does anyone have any experience of these...do the cheaper companies actually do anything to help or do they just pay you back at the end? I'm looking for a company that will actually make the arrangements, speak the language etc etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homphomp, I had RAC European French road, they were excellent in their support, far better and much more use than my insurance company, sorted me out a hotel for the night and arranged taxis etc plus recovery of the vehicle, I'd really reccomend them because of the efforts they went to
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to have sufficient cover to repatriate my company car if necessary if it's wrecked over there. I've found that only RAC or AA seem to give that level. I looked at Green Flag one year but their limit seemed very low to me, certainly not enough for 700 or 800 miles of towing (I was in Provence that year).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin B, Puzzled Green flag towed mine from Perpignan to Nottingham. (Not wrecked but 2 garages - including the main dealer in the area - in France could not find out why it wouldn't go! It was a Citroen too Laughing . Local gargage located fault and repaired it in half an hour.)

I wouldn't recommend them though. It took them 3 weeks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just returned from France where we broke down in my wife's Freelander. Called Landrover Assistance and a British mechanic from Landrover Rescue turned up to repair car on Saturday evening in Rouen! Turns out they have their own rescue vehicles postioned around France in holiday periods.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevinrhead, yep Landrover are pretty good on assistance, when my Freelander was written off it was pre landrover assistance, my new one that I got courtesy of the insurance came with landrovers then new assistance package so since then I've cancelled the otherwise very good RAC support.

By the way the insurers wrote off the car having bought it back to the UK for the sake of 6 parts and half a days use of a workshop as I found out from the chap that bought my crash repairable vehicle, but I wasn't complaining as I got a brand new Freelander in exchange for my 11 month old one plus about £250
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevinrhead, Not surprised given the reputation of Freelanders Little Angel

Had to use AA 5* twice (quite a while ago) and both times were fuss and worry free with contracted links to English speaking breakdown services and garages. Even got taken out to dinner by one garage owner to apologise for the extra days wait for a part because the next day was a fiesta. The breakdown turned into a great part of the hol.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, that's reassuring, i always get AA 5* but have never had to use it and have always wondered just how good they'd actually be when the need arose. BTW how true re: the Freelander! Friend of mine keeps going back to them despite every one she's owned breaking down! kevinrhead, no offence, they'd be nice cars if they were reliable Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freelander's! I know a guy that rented 5 for some work on Salisbury plain and at Thruxton. One broke down on the way here (from Southampton) and by the end of day 2 all were changed for Toyota Land Cruiser's which never put a foot wrong for the next 6 weeks..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Funny I've had 4 Freelanders from new and apart from writing off my first one I've only ever had one break down on me, when the computer brain in the car just died ! However I have found the dealer is always happy to help with any minor niggles that I might have and rate the support as excellent, they may have a poor reliability record but their backup is really good, I'd actually say that because the backup is so good I'm happy to ignore the reliability issues, when a the last one was up for renewal I gave serious consideration to an X-Trail as a friend of mine is a Nissan dealer and whilst in many ways the X-Trail is a better vehicle I found it slightly less comfortable to drive so I stuck with the Freelander
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads is always fascinating! A question about the AA turns into a discussion on the relative merits of the Freelander! thanks guys....it's always you get what you pay for at the end of the day!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
homphomp, Apologies for hijacking your thread, but what is it about Land Rovers that gets so many people going. I also drop into another forum on Ribbing (inflatable boats!) where there is a thread where somebody mentioned a problem with their Land Rover and the first response went
"For Christ's sake when are you going to shut up??? Why don't you spend as much time looking for problems with OTHER makers??? ALL manufacturers have problems/recalls etc etc - you are SO SAD..............

or maybe pathetic would be a better description!!!!!"

It then went downhill from there and is currently up to about 60 posts in a similar vain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevinrhead, it's not Land Rovers. The Defender by all accounts serves its purpose well. The Range and the Freelander however are famed for poor reliability and customer satisfaction, and the Japs in general and the Land Cruiser in particular are famed for their reliability, ability and robustness. Of course the Land Rovers do look better and are also very able. If you've got a good'un, and it's just as well to remember that even with so-called unreliable cars 60-70% actually give an owner no significant problems at all, you're laughing. But for me it's like Alfas - love them but would never dare buy one. I drive Jap to the Alps and hope never to need my AA5*! wink snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try EuroRescue for a price. I have found them cheapest for the last 3 years but since I have not needed help I cannot speak for what you get! The policy seems comprehensive in its scope and I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experience - good or bad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy