Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski in Europe for a month where would you base yourself?

Poster: A snowHead
altis, Open to suggestions on that one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ruthie, End of Feb, start of March - without a doubt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mmmm...., that would clash nicely with the French half term:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76752

I was going to suggest mid-Jan to mid-Feb to keep away from any school holidays. I suppose it depends if ruthie prefers sun or good snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best (and most) snow is in Feb/March, IME. At least in Austria, I don't know about France.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote]

Yes, Feb/March would normally be best snow in France, too, but the issue of the 4-week French school holidays is certainly a relevant one.

In 2013 the Paris holidays will be the first half of March. Personally, I think I'd go for mid March to mid April if you choose a French destination With mid January to mid February as a very close second choice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ruthie wrote:
Thinking of going for a month in Europe. Would like to be near or in a decent size town. Is it best to ski lots of different small resorts or go for a month in one place?

Hi @Ruthie et al
I'm devouring this post... I'm wondering (9 years later) if you or anyone else reading this, ever did your 1 month ski vacation?

I'm particularly interested, because we're a work from home family - the boys (7 and 8 y/o) attend a french lycee in Spain... during this year's Covid lockdown (2020-21) this season has been a total washout - so I'm keeping myself busy daydreaming about spending next year's winter quarter (Jan-Feb-March) based in a mountain village.

So far, from the FANTASTIC comments in this thread, I'm looking for something like (keep in mind, I'm just daydreaming/planning at this stage)...
-> Turin - they have a Lycee, and the boys school won't be an issue
-> Bourg st Maurice - Public French school (free) but some red tape to get them enrolled - but I think I can swing it
-> Innsbruck or somewhere near there - we'd have to figure out home school or an english based intl school $$$

If I could kindly ask for comments or feedback from the group?

For me - my work week would allow for me to ski/scout out different ski resorts and runs that would fit the family ability on Wednesday, so that we could all ski together on the weekends. I might be able to steal another 1 day just for myself, but at 56 y/o, I honestly can't see myself skiing more than 3 days a week, I'm not ashamed to admit.

So I hope I'm describing my situation well enough (forgive me, if I am not)... most of our time would be spent as just a normal family life where school and work would be the priority... but we'd have our car.. so even trekking out for an overnight somewhere would be in our sights... from what I've read on this thread - Bourg looks like the early favorite as it offers a lot of what we're looking for.... I've never been to the Alps region - so forgive my ignorance - but I'd love to stay in a flat that is close enough to put me on the snow within 30 minutes.

Can we find a 3 bedroom place in any of these locations for under $2k/month on a seasonal basis? Jan-Feb-March? Can you recommend a website like seloger to find available flats at the normal rate or should I just contact estate agents?

If you had 3 months to set up home - where would you go?

Thanks in advance.
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
AJ
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@US_EU How about Lausanne? A very international city with a big university, on Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, so more relaxed than the Germanic locations. And close to a diversity of ski areas in France and Switzerland in the cantons of Vaud and adjacent Valais. There are also various smaller towns around the lake which are commuter suburbs to Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux which, like anywhere, would be cheaper than a big city.

If you want to stay in a resort up a mountain, then no one will be surprised if I recommend Verbier. Like many places in the Alps this has various 'satellites' which are directly connected but cheaper to stay in, like Nendaz and La Tzoumaz, where we have our apartment. Take a look at some of the immobilier websites for both the main and satellite lcations (wherever you decide to go) and expect a discount for a period rental, although you may have to contact the immobiliers to get a specific quote: most websites don't advertise may period rentals even if owners are happy to take one on. You wouldn't need a car to explore the 400kms of pistes in the 4 Vallées and Verbier has great public transport links to the surrounding area. But you might want a car if you were interested in trying out some other places as well, and/or do some non-skiing excursions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LaForet wrote:
@US_EU How about Lausanne? A very international city with a big university, on Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, so more relaxed than the Germanic locations. And close to a diversity of ski areas in France and Switzerland in the cantons of Vaud and adjacent Valais. There are also various smaller towns around the lake which are commuter suburbs to Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux which, like anywhere, would be cheaper than a big city.

If you want to stay in a resort up a mountain, then no one will be surprised if I recommend Verbier. Like many places in the Alps this has various 'satellites' which are directly connected but cheaper to stay in, like Nendaz and La Tzoumaz, where we have our apartment. Take a look at some of the immobilier websites for both the main and satellite lcations (wherever you decide to go) and expect a discount for a period rental, although you may have to contact the immobiliers to get a specific quote: most websites don't advertise may period rentals even if owners are happy to take one on. You wouldn't need a car to explore the 400kms of pistes in the 4 Vallées and Verbier has great public transport links to the surrounding area. But you might want a car if you were interested in trying out some other places as well, and/or do some non-skiing excursions.

US_EU wrote:

Can we find a 3 bedroom place in any of these locations for under $2k/month on a seasonal basis? Jan-Feb-March?

No chance in CH
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Canada Road trip.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
in Austria i will suggest
1. Landeck with some big resorts (St.Anton or SFL) and some glaciers around and you if you have a car you could drive till Switzerland
2. Radstatt .. Obertauern und the whole Ski Amade
3. Maishofen (Kitzsteinhorn, Zell Am See, Saalbach)

for Austria without Auto probably in Radstadt
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are at a fairly advanced stage of planning a month-long trip for either January 2022 or the following year. After exhaustive research - and previous experience - we've opted to base ourselves in the small town of Reith im Alpbachtal. Enough shops, bank, restaurants etc, decent value accommodation and dead handy for the Ski Juwel, of course, and easy travel for day and two-day trips to loads of others using the Super Ski Card season-long lift pass. It's even got its own small ski area. In our plans are Ski Welt, Kitzbuhel, St Johann, Hichzillertal. Zell am See and Ziller(!) etc - all easily accessible by train from Brixlegg railway station (via Jenbach/Worgl). We plan to have occasional hotel nights away from the apartment for a change of scene. The research has been really fun - hope we can do it next year!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@US_EU, you might want to consider Albertville as well as Bourg St Maurice. Larger town, more facilities, also as a comparison to what you might get. Small ski resorts nearby which are not crowded with tourists.

I tended to spend more "off time" in Albertville than Bourg St Maurice.

I think there are some people on here who lived near Albertville, as there are some lower level less well known ski resorts near Albertville.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@turms2, +1 for Landeck. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@US_EU,
For Bourg schooling ask Steve Angus, a Brit ski instructor who lives in Val D'Isere with his young family - he is currently getting through Covid by academic teaching in Tignes. He posts regularly on the 'The view from......Val D'Isere' thread on Snowheads' 'Snow Reports' forum. Hope he can give you a few pointers (and about living/skiing in the area).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amazing comments, All..!
I'm almost begining to think there are no bad decisions, as 2 or 3 months would fly by...

I love the idea of:
Evian... close to Swiss
Reith im Alpbachtal... there is just no beating the Super Ski Card
and now Albertville.. I hadn't considered it as I thought it was too far... but that's just not true

Amazing - thanks to all for the input... and for the tip on Steve Angus...
Truly appreciate all your help.

I just have to bite the bullet and go..!

Best.
AJ
ski holidays
A month flies by so I’d choose one big area and stay in resort where you can ski within minutes rather than driving or bussing somewhere on a morning, then you can get to know that place really well and all its hidden gems.
More than a month-yes then it is nice to have lots of choice
ski holidays
Where are you in Spain, and why not consider the Pyrenees?
ski holidays
Thanks, VolkAttiva... I realize it will fly by.. and for that reason I keep coming back to Bourg...
If anyone has any tips on how to find a flat for 3 months, that would be great - - I guess I'll shoot Steve Angus a msg when the time comes.

Quote:
Where are you in Spain, and why not consider the Pyrenees?

Orange200 - - yes, we've been to Baqueira (which is fantastic) many times and it's great... but after 5 seasons there, I'd like to visit the Alps. Plus it will be good for the kids to use/perfect their French.

Thanks again!
Blush Blush Blush
latest report
@US_EU, plenty of long stay options in Bourg St Maurice
Just email the tourist office there
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
So picking the good days in a month, and not skiing every day in a week, you would probably only do about 12 days skiing in a month.

If you buy day passes, or afternoon passes when you ski, you will save money compared to a monthly pass. Also you will tend to only ski on blue sky days, when the snow is best.

Given that you would only do 12 days skiing, it becomes more important that there is plenty to do when you are not skiing.

I was very surprised to read the above.

12 days Puzzled Shocked

On reflection, would you do that again? And, out of interest, how much skiing do you do on a bog standard 1 week trip? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, If I went on a tour operator one week ski holiday I generally ski every day from first lift to after last lift regardless of weather (provided lifts are running)

I am older now, so living out of a van would be more uncomfortable. However, things have changed since then with regards to my knowledge of memory foam latex mattresses and cheap diesel heaters with cheap large power solar panels and agm batteries. These changes may compensate for my age.

On reflection, yes it is like running. Those who average more than 3 runs per week are at greater risk of mortality than those who average 2-3 runs per week. (over a year) Those who average less than 2-3 runs per week are also at greater risk of mortality. There is a sweet spot, which on further investigation seems that the higher mortality in those that run more is actually due to cardiac risk. Moderation is good in this case. (rest and recovery is as important as exercise)

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20823603/what-to-know-about-running-and-your-heart/

Although, other studies show that there is no real evidence of this extreme runner mortality risk.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/54/15/898

As for skiing in all weather, all conditions, and every day, you increase the risk of skiing by skiing on bad days when more accidents happen. It is not just your skiing ability which determines accidents, it is the other people on the piste, the conditions, your fitness, and so on.

If you are a elite skiier who is there to compete in the olympics then sure you will be doing more just as elite runners run twice a day and cross train as well. For most people though this is not a good idea.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 5-02-21 20:28; edited 5 times in total
latest report
Actually elite skiers spend far less time on the hill than intensive bell to bell holidaymakers but it is incredibly focused.

MS is notorious for not wasting a single turn on the run out to the lift etc.
latest report
ok... now i'm convinced that Wörgle, Austria is the place...
Darn you confinement!!!
With all this time to daydream, I'm over-thinking this...
ski holidays
Tirol, base un Imst you Will hace un 1 hour a lot off options. Glaciar, Big resorts, family Resorts, Tree skiing resort for bad weather.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
^^ Aosta is a damn cool place. Food/wine/beer is ace too.

And coffee. Done three seasons there its great. It’s also a lot cheaper all round than many places, plus one pass does the lot.
ski holidays
Another vote for Aosta. Otherwise I'd love to head back the to Spanish Pyrenees and the Val d'aran.
snow report
For us, Austria's public transport has swayed our decision over, say, somewhere like Aosta. I drive enough as it is and I don't want to drive on mountain roads, muck about with chains, have to find parking etc. The number of Austrian resorts that have their own railway station is a big advantage.
latest report
jbob wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

And coffee. Done three seasons there its great. It’s also a lot cheaper all round than many places, plus one pass does the lot.

I was gonna say, I haven't been to Aosta itself (only drove by), but I think Valle d'Aosta in general is a great region to be. It's not very expensive, the food is amazing, and you have Cervinia/Zermatt, which is possibly my favourite resort (huge area with AMAZING snow due to the high altitude), Monte Rosa (which is also exceptional and known for its off piste), Bardonecchia (also nice and generally not busy), and some other resorts I haven't been to but I know are great, like Courmayeur (Italian side of the Mont Blanc, known for its off piste), Via Lattea (gigantic, 400km of pistes), Pila, and many others, all within 1h30 from Aosta. (not sure if all these resorts are in Valle d'Aosta itself but they're all close)
There's also Lago Como and Lago Maggiore about 2h30 away, cities like Torino, Milano, Genova, Chamonix all within a couple of hours...

Also, a pass from a resort at Valle d'Aosta normally allows to ski a few days in other resorts there (not sure how that works if you buy a season pass, but you can look it up).

Another great option would be going to Trentino, in cities like Bolzano and Trento. Also a number of epic resorts (The Dolomiti area with over ~500km of pistes, and Cortina d'Ampezzo, Madonna di Campiglio, Kronplaz etc etc).

But yeah, I'm biased cause I love Italy.

Let us know what you decide!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOTA wrote:
For us, Austria's public transport has swayed our decision over, say, somewhere like Aosta. I drive enough as it is and I don't want to drive on mountain roads, muck about with chains, have to find parking etc. The number of Austrian resorts that have their own railway station is a big advantage.

That makes sense.
The Swiss public transport system is also fantastic for skiers, I've used it a lot (most resorts have a train station, which is very convenient especially if you're carrying skis, and they're usually close to the lifts). But yeah, it's generally more expensive than Austria...
snow report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
LOTA wrote:

That makes sense.
The Swiss public transport system is also fantastic for skiers, I've used it a lot (most resorts have a train station, which is very convenient especially if you're carrying skis, and they're usually close to the lifts). But yeah, it's generally more expensive than Austria...

I've used Swiss railways many times to get to Engelberg, Arosa, Saas Fee (change at Visp for a bus) and Nendaz (change at Sion for a bus) and Grindelwald and the service is universally excellent. Any resort with a railway station (not train station, Gusatvo! Very Happy ) is a winner as far I am concerned.
snow report
Post buses run to resorts without stations too. For Laax I took a train from Zurich to Chur where bus was waiting outside Very Happy
snow report
LOTA wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
LOTA wrote:

That makes sense.

I've used Swiss railways many times to get to Engelberg, Arosa, Saas Fee (change at Visp for a bus) and Nendaz (change at Sion for a bus) and Grindelwald and the service is universally excellent. Any resort with a railway station (not train station, Gusatvo! Very Happy ) is a winner as far I am concerned.

Really? I didn't know there was a difference. Is "train station" technically "wrong" in this case?
snow report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
Is "train station" technically "wrong" in this case?

I don't think it is wrong, or bad english. I wouldn't call a bus station a "road station".
latest report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
jbob wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I was gonna say, I haven't been to Aosta itself (only drove by), but I think Valle d'Aosta in general is a great region to be. It's not very expensive, the food is amazing, and you have Cervinia/Zermatt, which is possibly my favourite resort (huge area with AMAZING snow due to the high altitude), Monte Rosa (which is also exceptional and known for its off piste), Bardonecchia (also nice and generally not busy), and some other resorts I haven't been to but I know are great, like Courmayeur (Italian side of the Mont Blanc, known for its off piste), Via Lattea (gigantic, 400km of pistes), Pila, and many others, all within 1h30 from Aosta. (not sure if all these resorts are in Valle d'Aosta itself but they're all close)
There's also Lago Como and Lago Maggiore about 2h30 away, cities like Torino, Milano, Genova, Chamonix all within a couple of hours...

Also, a pass from a resort at Valle d'Aosta normally allows to ski a few days in other resorts there (not sure how that works if you buy a season pass, but you can look it up).

Another great option would be going to Trentino, in cities like Bolzano and Trento. Also a number of epic resorts (The Dolomiti area with over ~500km of pistes, and Cortina d'Ampezzo, Madonna di Campiglio, Kronplaz etc etc).

But yeah, I'm biased cause I love Italy.

Let us know what you decide!

That is a cracking list of resorts. Some top off piste spots in there too snowHead
snow conditions
In Aosta the full area pass which s around £1k covers the whole valley plus they f your based in Cervina you can extend to to Zermatt. It is some of the best skiing in the alps. It covers a range of resorts from tiny family places empty except for weekend to the best off piste and heli skiing on offer. The valley is relatively low so day to day living is a lot less hassle. The pass also covers insurance and nordic skiing plus discounts and free tickets to castles etc.
latest report
In Aosta the full area pass which is around £1k covers the whole valley plus if you’re based in Cervina you can extend to to Zermatt. It is some of the best skiing in the alps. It covers a range of resorts from tiny family places empty except for weekends to the best off piste and heli skiing on offer anywhere. The valley is relatively low so day to day living is a lot less hassle. The pass also covers insurance and nordic skiing plus discounts and free tickets to castles etc. To get the most you would need a car but the roads are generally clear. Alternatively you could have a couple of bases during a long stay.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-02-21 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rjs wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

I don't think it is wrong, or bad english. I wouldn't call a bus station a "road station".

Surely, “train station” is the exact equivalent of “bus station”....?
ski holidays
Like others have said I reckon Bourg St Maurice would be a great call. Alternatively two weeks in Tignes/VDI and two weeks down the road in La Plagne/Les Arcs. You should not get bored of either Espace Killy or Paradiski in that time frame.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

It's very bad English - or an Americanism, if you prefer. Very Happy
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
@US_EU, you might want to consider Albertville as well as Bourg St Maurice. Larger town, more facilities, also as a comparison to what you might get. Small ski resorts nearby which are not crowded with tourists.

I tended to spend more "off time" in Albertville than Bourg St Maurice.

I think there are some people on here who lived near Albertville, as there are some lower level less well known ski resorts near Albertville.

What is the real world drive time from Albertville to a bottom station of the 3 valleys on a normal weekday morning?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy