Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria trip advice please....

Poster: A snowHead
heh folks first time posting on here

myself and my girlfriend are looking to book our first alps trip, we've been skiing for 3 seasons now but only in Scotland. Averaging 8-10 days a year up north but due to lack of snow this year we are looking at the alps

have decided on Austria as we both dont like the idea of resorts with giant tower blocks i.e france and we would like good value for money when it comes to on hill food and drink so no swiss

looked at the school holiday chart on here to see whens quiet and either last week in feb 25- or last week in march 26- look the best for quiet slopes but which one? and where?

will we still get good snow if we wait till the end of march? looking at somewhere like st johann as its well linked and no a mega resort so not mega expensive

level wise i would happily run on reds all day and the odd black and my girl is very happy on blues and is fine but a bit slower on the reds.

would both like a bit of apres aswell

any advice very welcome

aid
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amadee - St Johan, Alpendorf, Flachau etc. Miles of pistes for all abilities.
St Anton - Little more advanced and higher but better night life and cheap digs availale if you look around.
Mayerhofen - Younger crowd and more than enough to keep you entertained.
Ishgal - Not really, a bit more expensive.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Solden, good mix of skiing and good apres and definitely snow sure. Accommodation wise it can be a bit pricey in peak weeks but if you shop around you should be able to get something more affordable. If you want to go to Austria and want to keep costs down then I suggest you organise flights and accom independently. The vast majority of apartments are self-catered which can help keep costs down, resorts like Solden have easily navigable website for finding rooms. Solden is easy to get to from Zurich, Munich and obviously Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd certainly recommend Mayrhofen. great slopes, good infrastructure, good food, serious apres ski. Bear in mind it's not just just Mayrhofen but the whole of the Zillertal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St. Johann (in Tirol, I presume) might suit you fine. The snow will probably be better end of Feb but skiing should still be possible end of Mar (and cheaper). If you have the Schneewinkel lift pass, you can also ski other resorts (Fieberbrunn, Steinplatte, etc.), all linked by ski bus.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yeah st johann in tirol

think i am prefering the end of feb as a time slot

havent actually looked at doing flights and accom independently as we will be flying from either glasgow or edinburgh and thomson / crystal / jet 2 seem to have flights every sat/sun so had only looked at packages

will look at pricing somthing up myself really looking for catered or half board

anyway bump for daytime sliders
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soll is usually good for a cheaper deal. Skiwelt is a decent area, a fair size. Not many black runs, but plenty of reds and blues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saalbach sounds like it would do the trick??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
right settled on the weekend of the 25th of feb now just to find a deal...thanks for all the suggestions
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mayrhofen sounds like a good fit. Only downside is you can't ski back to town so have to get the v.busy lift off the mountain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach - more than once voted best resort for intermediates and great apres ski. Great choice for February, still a good choice for mid-March, although the lower slopes might get slushy (in which case you just stay above mid-station). Plenty of self-catering or good value B&Bs, easy transfer from Salzburg or Munich (Easyjet/Jet2/Thos Cook/Ryanair/BA). Saalbach would be my choice for a first week in Austria, but to be honest, you could go to Zell am See, Westendorf, Soll, Elmau, St Anton, Mayrhofen etc and still have a great time. If all you've skied is Scotland, you'll think Austria is paradise!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen may not be ski back to town but kaltenbach just down the road is, and the bar at the bottom of the run does good apres ski
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or just go to the very lively bars at the top of Penken lift in Mayrhofen and wait for the crowds to go.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, Good point, most of the bars are good for some fun, my point was really about the fact that there was a valley run. Bear in mind that the Penken lift is a hairy, hang in the middle of nowhere, stand up lift too. Nicer to take the Horbergbahn, takes you to the same pistes in the end with less pant pooing potential and more comfort, ie you get a seat.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robapplegate wrote:
Chasseur, Good point, most of the bars are good for some fun, my point was really about the fact that there was a valley run. Bear in mind that the Penken lift is a hairy, hang in the middle of nowhere, stand up lift too. Nicer to take the Horbergbahn, takes you to the same pistes in the end with less pant pooing potential and more comfort, ie you get a seat.

Yeah that Penken lift is not ideal for anyone who suffers from Vertigo. When we came down it on our first day in Mayrhofen during our last Autumn holiday, a couple in the same cabin/car as us freaked out when it went over the first ridge. Then woah and behold the cable stopped between the first and second ridge right at the highest point off the ground. Once it stops thats when the cabin/car starts to swing and move about. I honestly thought the bloke was going to have a heart attack. I'm not the best with heights but have got a lot better; but that couple, especially the bloke, were in a really bad state. Not that I have been on that many but that was certainly the hariest gondola I have been on. I bet there are others that are much worse though!!
snow report
just back from mayrfohen . we stated in hippach which is 4km from mayrhofen so nice and quiet. i would say at busy times of day to use the horberg gondala, much quieter . we never had to que at any time and the yeti bar at the bottom gets pretty lively.
snow report
Schladming would be perfect I reckon from your description.
Fly to Salzburg, train or taxi straight into town,easy and not expensive,
Decent B&B's range from 27 euro upwards.
Lots to do,great and well looked after pistes,lots of bars including the infamous Tenne apres at the end of the day ! Very Happy
Enjoy !! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy