Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

25 avalanche deaths acceptable

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting article here , sorry no time to translate.

According to the University of Salzburg

the number of ski tourers has increased dramatically since 1955 but the number of fatalities has remained the same at around 25 per year for decades.

25 avalanche deaths are socially accepted as residual risk

http://derstandard.at/1326502791533/Maengel-bei-Lawinenwarnung-25-Lawinentote-werden-akzeptiert
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For comparison, 1857 deaths occured on Britain's roads in 2010. That doesn't stop us driving though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of course if they were all Dutch that would make it much more acceptable. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, More relevant maybe is the roads death in Austria which according to uk FCO are twice as high in relative terms to the UK, which I can easily believe having witnessed lots of terrible driving since being in Austria. http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/austria#safetySecurity
Quote from that article.
"In 2010 there were 552 road deaths in Austria (source: DfT). This equates to 6.6 road deaths per 100,000 of population compared to the UK average of 3.1 road deaths per 100,000 of population in 2010."

Any avi deaths are not pleasant but 25 is quite a low number and the fact it's stayed around that figure despite the increase in potential victims is encouraging.The article is a bit vague on numbers, I guess it's not simple estimating the number of ski tourers and how many trips each makes. The article also goes on to raise the point about the fragmented way east austrian states publishes avi reports through pretty poor websites and the fact many are not available in English. Well done Tirol for their excellent English translations, which I read mist days (though a little irrelevant to where I ski) I'm sure many foreign ski tourers English is their first or second language. I read a while back on the Henry's Avi Talk (HAT) site that the French authority started making their reports only available in image format to prevent automated translation tools. Not sure if this was due to translation mistakes or the french being protective of the info. Does seem the cost of a decent translation would be a fairly small sum to help distribute important information which must have cost a fair bit to gather in the first place when you think of the whole avalanche service cost. There is an android app for the Austrian avi reports "Snowsafe" which is quite good at bringing all the reports together, though all in German.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, if you are interested there are some links here to last year's report from the Österreichische Kuratorium für Alpine Sicherheit (the figures deal with all deaths not just from avalanches).

Unfälle im Winter 2010/11

- From 01 November 2010 to 28 April 2011 there were 117 fatalities in the Austrian Alps. A 15% decrease on the previous year (2009/10: 139 Alpine deaths over the same period). [Presumably this is for all Alpine activities? But not including normal road accidents etc? Or maybe it does given it was a police briefing?]

- A slight increase in those killed skiing on piste (48 compared to 45 and 47 the years before).

- "Significantly" fewer people died skiing off piste. Only 14 apparently, compared to 51 in 2009/2010 and 46 in 2008/2009 [the press release claims this is 27 less, but that seems more like 37 less to me?].

- Up to 28 April there had only been 3 deaths in avalanches. The lowest number ever. Although given the risk of ski touring accidents in the high mountains, the risk remains.

So overall a reduction in fatalities. A slight increase in on piste deaths, a substantial decrease in off piste deaths (2010/11 was of course a poor snow year) and a record low number of avalanche fatalities.

There's some more statistical analysis posted today.

- 143 avalanche deaths in the last six winters in Austria. 20% of fatalities were either neither buried nor partially buried.

- 60% of fatalities were caused by asphyxiation, 30% from trauma.

If you want a real data download have a look at this.

http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/archiv/jahresberichte/

Unfortunately they've sold out of hard copies (and it is easier to read hard copy), but you can download the PDF's it has a huge amount of data from each region, covering a breakdown of the weather over winter, daily avalanche record records by region, details of each major avalanche and case histories of some of the more significant ones.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-01-12 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I seem to remember seeing statistics that put ski touring as a bit safer than driving around in a car. Quite simply, familiarity breeds contempt and we don't realise or particularly care about risks we are used to taking. Whereas we are really careful about things we are unfamiliar with. How many people will never bungee jump after seeing the video of the girls rope snapping despite that being a very rare and newsworthy occurrence? Cognitive biases are really fascinating things.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a lot more fatal alpine accidents in Summer than the Winter !! I posted the stats on here a year or two ago.

Austria does seem to lose a few of its international personality's in car accidents.

Falco
Jörg Haider
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Niki Lauda is still going strong though. (Probably because he wasn't pooped up like the other two).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Falco died in the Dominican Republic though and they don't have avalanches there, so not really clear on the correlation. Any comparison of avalanche deaths to driving fatalities needs to compare the number of people driving or perhaps the overall miles driven with the number of skiers I'd have thought.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy