Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer resorts... for a walking honeymoon

Poster: A snowHead
Where's good for a summer (walking) holiday?

Looking for somewhere with sensibly priced accommodation, and closish to places to go. Ideally somewhere an apartment with balcony wouldn't be too heinously expensive... as budget is somewhat limited... spending it all on the wedding!

France probably better than Austria as the drive is shorter and I speak fluent French and very basic German (of the German variety) and it would be nice to be able to do a day of summer skiing, so Alps rather than Andorra.

Would consider towns in the valleys as well as resorts. Only place I don't want to say (though will probably visit again) is Les Deux Alpes, as it got dark so early on our last summer visit.

La Rosiere is a possibility if there's much/anything happening in the evenings (would prefer not to cook EVERY night on honeymoon!).

Also, advice on walks that don't involve major mountain expedition skills, we do a fair amount of walking on Dartmoor and have been to Snowdonia a few times. Some scrambling fun, but prefer not to over do it as I would prefer the marriage to last. Have struggled to find decent walking maps on previous visits to France, so might have to do some internet shopping before we go.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Randomsabreur, Chamonix is a good bet because you can access magnificent, but easy, mountain walking by using the lifts.

Surprised you have problems with French walking maps - you need the 1:25000 "Carte de Randonée" - the Chamonix one is 3630OT and one of the most exciting maps you are ever likey to see.
They are superb maps and very widely available.

There are plenty of Chamonix-based SHs to give you advice on walks - I've had a lot of very good advice in the past.

No summer skiing though, AFAIK, though the Grand Montets stays open pretty late, as it's high.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grands Montets won't be open - Honeymoon is first 2 weeks in July, planning to have apartment for 2nd week and travel a bit staying in hotels for part of the second week. Thinking a little detour to Deux Alpes/ Alpe d'Huez region in the first week and have a little reminder what skis are for (been a while, due to broken OH last year + wedding saving with only one earner this year!).

Think my issue with finding "Carte de Randonee" was more to do with looking once we were out there, and being on the border between several different maps, without knowing where we wanted to go walking. Plus took several visits to the town to find any decent book shops. Suspect it's somewhat easier in the alps (like it's easier to get walking books in snowdonia than Bedford...)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, La Rosiere is good for walking, in fact my wife prefers summer there to the winter but the resort is quiet. Finding an apartment not a problem your best bet is via the Tourist Office they have a centralised booking service. There are a few hotels and some of the bars and restaurants will be open. The Relais du Petit st Bernard is probably your best option but McKinleys, Bar fusion etc all open in the summer so you've got some options. As pam w, suggests the Carte de Randonee are widely available, the main lifts in the village are open, mainly for mountain bikers but it will help if you plan a walk to Italy. The Ete section of the La Rosiere website www.larosiere.net will give you lots of information.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

being on the border between several different maps, without knowing where we wanted to go walking.

ah yes, but that's one of life's little rules, isn't it? One is always on the border between maps.

if you want to be within striking distance of the glacier in L2A, there are nice places lower down - Venosc was nice, IIRC. Lizzard could advise about that area.

Tignes has good summer skiing too, usually, but it's the last place I'd want to stay for a nice Alpine summer holiday. I'd want to be somewhere lower, with lots of grass and trees and flowers and cows and pretty chalets not slopes covered in scree. And there are loads and loads of places like that, all through the Alps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arabba - Check out Colletts for ideas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perfet place would be Saas Fee - excellent mid range walking, the most beautiful views in the alps all around you, ski on the glacier in summer

Only problem is that it is Switzerland so stupidly expensive Sad Sorry
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we went to livigno on honeymoon, accomodation was cheap and really nice. Valley, lake and mountain have lovely walks and the shops are nice and cheap as its duty free. found some lovely restaurants and split our time cooking in the appartment and eating out.
we had days out over to Bormio and took a couple of days to down to the Italian lakes, davos/klosters is a do-able drive away as well.
lovely drive if you do it from the german side and come over the fern pass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Randomsabreur,
Have been twice to Serre Chevalier, loads of great walking, plenty of reasonably priced accommodation, Briancon is a nice base if you want to eat out. Southern French alps also attract less rain so a better chance of good weather. Att he other end of Sere Che is Monetier which is a lovely village where we stayed this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Murren, Grindelwald, Interlaken, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Kitzbuhel, Whistler all been great for summer walking. Not much skiing though. You could try some of the glacier resorts in Austria.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2nd fatbob.

Head to Arabba - stay at the Hotel Mesdi, top floor on the corner with a wrap around balcony. You wont regret any of it.

You're spitting distance to some on the most amazing alpine walks, via feratta, climbing, mtb'ing, amazing food, and it's a fraction of the price than anything in France - and you're in the most stunning location.

for walks and VF check out the cirerone guides.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I'm sure Arabba would be fantastic - the Dolomites are pretty special.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i did a honeymonn trip to Interlaken in 1986
got a great deal with swiss travel service, including a rail and ferry pass for the area
absolutely loads to do
go inside the Jungfrau on the railway to the top as shown on ski sunday this week
do the shilthorn restaurant like 1960S James Bond
and lots lots more
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks!

Hmm, Arabba is only 200km further that Les Deux Alpes, looking more possible than I thought. Will have to sell it to OH though, as he thinks of anywhere that isn't France as being much further. Plus much lower tolls according to via michelin, which is also good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arabba v L2A.....

that is not even a competition wink
snow report
Mayrhofen would be ideal for you. Nice town with nice architecture; lots of reasonably priced accommodation especially in the summer; food and drink is good value; access to two gondolas direct from the town to take you up the mountains; very easily reached by public transport or road; you can easily access other nearby valleys for more walking opportunities and finally your very close to Hintertux glacier where you can do your skiing
snow report
Randomsabreur, Stiil in the Dolomites - Pedraces and stay in the Melodia del Bosco. Stay in room 401 or 402. Quite stunning panoramic bedrooms. Colletts do walking holidays from here.

A lovely hotel, good value compared to many
snow conditions
ahh yes - if you want to do summer skiing then the 'Hof is a very good place to stay, Hintertux is a short hop away.

you can introduce your other half to 'hans the butcher' as well... wink
snow conditions
Mm. spoilt for choice! So many wonderful destinations. Amazing that so few Brits do the alps in summer.

Maybe the Dolomites have some good value hotels but in general I've found Italian hotels a little pricey. Not much experience of them, though. But top coffee at cheap prices, always guaranteed in Italy!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Mm. spoilt for choice! So many wonderful destinations. Amazing that so few Brits do the alps in summer.

Maybe the Dolomites have some good value hotels but in general I've found Italian hotels a little pricey. Not much experience of them, though. But top coffee at cheap prices, always guaranteed in Italy!

Yes Italian hotels do tend to be pricey in general. But this doesn't seem to be the case in the Dolomites during the summer. They tend to be similarly priced to hotels in the Austrian alps. You can easily get a standard room on half board in a 4* hotel with wellness facilities and pool in Selva (Dolomites) for 70-75 Euros per person per night. The same room in the same hotel in winter would cost you about 130 Euros pppn.

And yes you are spoilt for choice. Many good places given to you in this thread. I'm already planning my summer holiday in the Alps for next year 2013 and am tearing my hair out deciding where to go because of all the options.
snow report
Randomsabreur, Peisey Nancroix is a fantastic place to go in the summer - beautiful walks in the Vanise National Park, loads of flowers & wildlife. I can really recommend it. We stay higher each summer & walk both there, & up around the Col du Chal - a lovely valley off piste in winter. We have also been over to the Beaufortain to walk - an easy & beautiful drive. If you're interested, PM me for more info.

http://www.parcnational-vanoise.fr/
ski holidays
Randomsabreur, thought of Serre Chevalier if you're planning a trip to L2A too? Being a valley-based resort there's plenty open in early July and plenty of walking in the Parc des Ecrins and surrounding areas. There's a nice little apartment I know wink with sunny terrace in Monetier-les-Bains.
ski holidays
I've managed to talk the OH into going to the mountains for Summer holiday I have booked this place http://www.tyrol-hotel.eu/ which was recommend on here, finishing off with 3 nights in Venice. Ideal honeymoon itinary IMO.
latest report
Try this for summer site www.tyrol-hotel.eu/en/hotel/
ski holidays
Have a look at the Ferme de Chozal (3 star) at Haute Luce in the Beaufortain. Lovely walking, unspoilt and the hotel has a good restaurant, spa type facilities.
ski holidays
We first went to the Dolomites for our honeymoon and stayed in a fantastic apartment in Pedraces with a balcony over looking the Fanes massif (google this for fab pictures of the enrosaria). We had never been before, so just took their advice. When we arrived, the apartment had a four poster bed with a mirror on the ceiling!!!! They had provided some proseco and grappa to celebrate. Colletts are really amazing. WE then went back summer and winter for 8 years until we had children (the Dolomites really are that good). I will never tire of them. The VFs are AMAZING! One summer, the guys that wrote the Cicerone guide books were out with COlletts (Graham Fletcher) and we went and did some free guided VFs with them.

Just phone Colletts up and get their advice on accomodation to suit your budget. They have all price ranges on offer. The standard of even basic accommodation is superb in the Alta Badia part of the Dolomites compared to most European places. And the food......... Well, so many Michellin starred restaurants and refugios.......
snow report
genepi wrote:
Randomsabreur, Peisey Nancroix is a fantastic place to go in the summer - beautiful walks in the Vanise National Park, loads of flowers & wildlife. I can really recommend it. We stay higher each summer & walk both there, & up around the Col du Chal - a lovely valley off piste in winter. We have also been over to the Beaufortain to walk - an easy & beautiful drive.
/

Absolutely, the Vanoise National Park is a must! Try some of the La Plagne alpine villages to eat in - Montchavin les coches area is beautiful and have arranged walks and events throughout the summer - visit the site to see and you can drive to Tignes for a day skiing (40 minutes drive)

www.montchavin-lescoches.com/en/home/activites-montchavin/mountain-montchavin/hiking.html
latest report
Quote:

Ferme de Chozal (3 star) at Haute Luce in the Beaufortain

Quite expensive: at least 215 euros a day for 2 people half board - 280 in high season summer. I can't afford to eat there, but my Geneva-based neighbour, who can afford fancier eating than I can, reckons that after initially being very good the restaurant has gone downhill - though I think they might have a new chef since he gave up going there. Certainly a lovely location, and unspoilt, but although it's on my doorstep I'd have to say it doesn't compare to the Dolomites or Chamonix for dramatic mountain scenery.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Quite expensive: at least 215 euros a day for 2 people half board - 280 in high season summer. I can't afford to eat there ...
perhaps on a honeymoon they want a bit of luxury and the restaurant, despite your Swiss weekenders comments, is recommended by Gaullt Millau. I've found it extremely good.

Quote:
but although it's on my doorstep I'd have to say it doesn't compare to the Dolomites or Chamonix for dramatic mountain scenery.
. I see you have 2 doorsteps - Chichester Harbour is very nice too - if you don't like mountains and the crowds on the roads and beaches in summer Smile

It may not be
Quote:
dramatic
but it depends what you want - Chamonix - crowded and noisy - or the Beaufortain - authentic, peaceful, and away from the crowds and much more choice of walking than that confined to either side of the Chamonix valley. Chamonix, I personally avoid it - great for Alpinism though. Still living here all year and guiding in the Beaufortain, Vanoise, etc.......
latest report
Quote:

perhaps on a honeymoon they want a bit of luxury

I was just going by the OP's comments that the budget would be tight.

I love the Beaufortain and agree with your comments - I am very lucky with my doorsteps. But we do enjoy some not-too-strenuous walking in Chamonix in the summer. My OH has a heart problem so being able to use the lifts to access things like the Balcons du Sud and Nord is wonderful - we can be right in amongst that high mountain scenery without having to risk dropping dead. wink It's not crowded or noisy once you get up into the mountains.

I must come and join one of your summer walks one day - as long as it's not too strenuous!
latest report
Limited luxury likely - the wedding is the luxury. Budget is P&V type apartment for 1 week + half a week travelling down, ideally with a balcony, and probably self catered rather than hotel as we don't always want to eat a big meal - usual self catering holidays involve some cooked meals, some restaurants and some meals of salad, cheese, charcuterie and bread after having a decent lunch out and about - so a fridge would be nice.

Skiing for a day would be one day out, mostly want nice scenery, walks that won't kill me (whether by falling or feet being worn out), possibly some via ferrata if the weather is nice (finished 1 via ferrata in unforecast downpour which wasn't pleasant). The major objection to L2A was the fact due to orientation it gets dark painfully early. Mont Blanc area would be nice, Dolomites would be amazing, Ecrins/Vanoise also possibilities. Austria could also do the trick. Probably don't want to stay in Switzerland as the exchange rate will hurt.

There's a vague possibility that we will be in the smaller (interesting) car, but the boring company car is more likely (anyone know a decent "classic" car recovery service - the interesting car is an L reg Toyota, so over the age limit for the mainstream companies (and would be at risk of being deemed uneconomical by many as book value of a grey import is lower than its worth to us). Interesting car would mean more stops on motorway (460km range vs 550 miles range), far less luggage and probably shorter stints - it's louder and the ride is rather less forgiving.
ski holidays
Another Dolomites fan here!

Val di Funes is pretty special, lots of walking and no ski lifts or commercialism to mar the natural beauty:

snow report
ok yonks back
but when we stayed at Interlaken we stopped a mile outside the town at Goldswil (or something like that)
we stayed in a family run pension which had about 10 rooms
it was half board so we used to grab a loaf and cheese at market somedays for lunch
down the hill about 400m from the pension was one of the lake steamer yetties so hand for the cruises on lake
and when we went up to Wengen and Jungfrau we would take car and park at Interlaken station
snow conditions
Don't ignore Les Deux Alpes. OK not the prettiest of resorts but there is loads going on there in the summer, biking walking and of course skiing on the glacier. Accommodation is very reasonable in the summer and you can easily get an apartment with balcony with mountain view. I think I paid about £200 for a nice apartment there for 4 days this summer.
snow conditions
in the short time we've been here, we've had three sets of guests get engaged whilst on walking holidays in the region (so the Mont Blanc, Aravis and Beaufortain ranges), so the area obviously does tick the romance box for some people... have to say that Dolomites photo is gorgeous though!
ski holidays
We go to the Dolomites and the French Alps every summer and here is my summary of the differences:
The dolomite scenery is definitely more spectacular – by miles
Since we use apartments in France and hotels in the Dollies, as well as mountain huts, France is less expensive
The best paths in the dolomites are via ferrata
Navigation on the Sella plateau in fog needs careful map and compass work.
Very good walking exists on the Italian/French border around La Rossiere
It is hard to get away from the sound of motor bikes in the dolomites in the summer.
IMHO the dolomites offer the best rock climbing in the world.
It is easier to drive to the French Alps, It took us 22 hours to drive back from Venice after one trip to the Dollies.
There is a good book shop in Bourg st Maurice where you can buy very good walking guides and as mentioned earlier the IGN 1:25000 maps are good.
The Dolomites always feel like high serious mountains - they are. For breath taking scenery try staying in Misurina
I am not sure that Marmolada still does summer skiing, but I would seriously consider leaving the skiing to winter.
The French Alps offer rafting, canyoning and other water based activities, Try rafting down the Isere.
Consider Bozel and Praglangon as well as La Rosiere.
You do not need French or Italian in either area, but they do help.
Check when the French resorts open (and there will be restaurants and shops open when they open); some only open on the second week of July
August in the Dolomites can be very very crowded. Go in July.

John
snow conditions
Randomsabreur, what are your dates?

luigi, wonderful photo! snowHead
ski holidays
First 2 weeks in July - accommodation 2nd week (starting 7th if Saturday changeover). Probably heading out on the Tuesday or Wednesday before that.

Just noticed the issue with the planned Saturday return journey, hopefully will be going against the flow. Prefer to return on the Saturday rather than Sunday as OH will be working on the Monday.

Been to L2A - my first outdoor skiing experience. Would quite like a longer evening - hence La Rosiere which was nice and sunny in the evenings even in March. Skiing should fit in as one of the "en route" days - Hintertux or L2A could be deemed "on the way" depending on route/destination. It's not the main focus of the holiday, but far better than a visit to a fridge as a reminder what skis are after 2 winters off. Don't see much point paying the premium for being in a summer ski resort as we're definitely not doing more than a "day" on the slopes. Happy to drive daily to different resorts as chosen.

Proper rock climbing isn't going to happen, neither of us lead yet. Dartmoor/Snowdonia grade 1 scrambles or easyish via ferrata are about the limit of "interesting" required. Not planning on staying in mountain huts on honeymoon - and I want a proper double bed- not a twin!

Motorcycle noise not really an issue - A30 audible from lots of Dartmoor.

My French is fluent and OH is lazy (but competent if forced) as a result. Can read some italian from latin/french roots but speaking non-existent. Ancient GCSE german best resurrected by alcohol!

Any "proper" mountains can be romantic. We got engaged on top of a rugged hill in Fuerteventura on a self catering last minute holiday. Never been to the Dolomites and would really love to go - all the better for honeymoon, but French Alps/Jura knock a tank of fuel off the journey. Depreciation won't be an issue in either car - toy has pretty well done its depreciating, other one is a company car, so it's only fuel/insurances that cost. Toy would need new brakes before though - as the passes might appeal to the OH.
ski holidays
Quote:

First 2 weeks in July

That's before the summer season in some places - could be a very, very, good thing but worth checking lift opening dates if you are planning to use them for walking.

there are any number of very cheap, good, apartments and gites to rent throughout the Alps (certainly throughout the French alps) at that time of year. You shouldn't have to pay more than £350 max.
snow conditions
Randomsabreur, Give us a try in Morzine. Not our B&B as we have no double beds Toofy Grin

Lots to do in the walking area and lots of other sidelines too
Rafting
Canyoning
Horseriding
Close visits to Lac Leman, Yvoire, Chateau Chillon, Annecy, Samoens.
Fantasticable
It's all here in the summer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy