Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accomodation options for DIY overnight Eurostar train - 3 VALLEYS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been tempted by overnight direct train to French resorts for a while.
(leaving London on Friday evening and then return train late on Saturday a week after)

I am not too bothered with the tiredness after the train etc, but rather more excited by the possibility of extra 2 days of skiing and no airports to get through.

Now, does anyone have any experience with the accommodation for those train deals?

I presume you do not get the room on the arrival until Saturday afternoon, but can you at least leave the bags and change clothes before you hit the slopes?

Same on the return, can you leave bags and change clothes at your hotel/chalet after the days skiing before heading for late evening train?

Somehow I can not find many TO deals for overnight trains, they all seem to be for day trains.

SO - If I DIY the trip and book just Eurostar tickets for now, how easy is to find reasonable chalet/hotel later on to suit at least a little bit the train arrival/departure timings.

I would consider Three Valleys, Tignes/Val D'isere or Les Arcs and assume there are options for bus transfer from train stations. But guessing it could be more difficult to get the right return transfer to train station if I am to DIY the trip.

THANKS FOR HELP

UPDATE: TRAIN BOOKED NOW - thinking where to stay in 3 Valleys, as it seems to be our first choice at the moment

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-01-12 15:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've noticed Eurostar offer a few hotels in ski resorts so you could try contacting them for a train and hotel package.

Otherwise contact the hotel you like the look of directly and book the eurostar part seperately. We stayed in Hotel du golf in Arc 1800 years ago and that was a good base for les arcs ski area. We booked it with one of the large TOs but at that stage they were offering the overnight train. I seem to remember there was somewhere in the hotel to leave stuff on the saturday. There are lots of buses from Moutiers and bourg st maurice to ski resorts. If you go to the resorts nearest the train stations taxis won't be too expensive. We used Bouzon taxis to go up to La Rosiere and they were very good.

Alternatively use a TO with flexible travel arrangements. We have used ski collection/Peak Retreats who are very good. Their prices are based on self drive but they offer a discount if you make your own travel arrangements. They offer some rail packages too.

As for sleeping on the train, I'd recommend booking first class if you can afford it. You then get the odd meal thrown in and a slightly reclining chair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done the overnight train and stayed in Les Arcs.
The funicular takes foot passengers from (near) station into Arcs 1600. You can get the shuttle bus from there to other Arcs. All of this is free if you pick up a lift pass in town first.
Arc 1950 has a luggage room where they'll be happy to hold your bags until check-in, and toilet facilities for changing/washing.

Most other resorts will have cheap or free luggage storage - just make sure you know where it is before you get there. The big plus for Les Arcs over your other choices is the ease of transfer from rail to resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You shouldn't need to pick the accommodation to suit the transport arrangements, Tom. I have arrived early morning and left late afternoon on a number of trips and have never encountered a chalet / hotel that wasn't able to cope with me skiing first and last day. What you might get will of course depend on where you are staying and how full they are. Some places will charge a small supplement if you want to check in early or check out late; some places will give you access to (at least) a baggage store and a loo with a sink. Just check when you book. How late you want to leave booking your accommodation is a question of how risk-averse you are, as well as how willing you are to put up with less than perfect accommodation; but the chances of every hotel and chalet in resort being booked out are negligible. I have done a couple of trips where we just turned up at about 6, having driven down; we were still able to find accommodation - and able to be on the slopes in time for the first lifts. For bus information, try altibus. Also, if you do a forum search, you'll probably find someone has already asked about bus/train options for wherever it is you decide to go.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for replies.

There a good prices now for just Eurostar tickets - late March and it is very tempting.

I do not mind accommodation quality too much but would prefer catered chalet/half board to cut the costs of spending in French resorts. That's why I thought waiting for good TO deals is better option but NOW I am fixed on the train and there aren't many deals with TO.

So my favourite - DIY ski holiday - is back on the agenda.

I am not familiar with France DIY though, not sure if I can book chalet/hotel place only and how much I shall look for to spend.
If I can get a TO chalet deal for around 450-550£ with flights etc. Would I find catered chalet only for around 300£ ? Wink Just guessing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many of the smaller tour ops will give a discount for 'own' travel. The discount tends to be between £50-£100 per person, so wouldn't really cover the cost of your train ticket, but it would go someway towards it. Or check out www.alpine-answers.co.uk for some chalet only late deals to give you an idea on price (and don't forget if you are going to La Plagne that you may have to get a local train to Bourg St Maurice to get back - the trains don't stop at Aime on the way back).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK
Train booked for 16/17th March. EXCITED........ NOW on the look out for cheap catered accommodation, preferably somewhere in 3 Valleys Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another option for DIY accommodation is the "solutions room" at chaletsdirect.com
Chalet owners probably won't be that interested in you as a solo traveller if you are booking more than a few weeks in advance, but will probably be less inclined to turn their noses up at you if you are booking relatively last minute
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitren2005, It is two of us.
Have yet to decide where to stay as we are not fast riders I would prefer easier access to all areas. So maybe Meribel for central location.
Although other resorts sound more appealing to me but I can not imagine us rushing half day to get from one side of 3 Valleys to the other and then rush back just to get the last lifts.
Have to do some more research. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's plenty of hotel accommodation in Brides that will suit. I'd recommend the Hotel des Sources. Pleasant surroundings, great staff and free ride to the gondola which, in 20 minutes, takes you to the centre of Meribel.

http://www.hotel-des-sources.com/acceuil-anglais.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a regular bus from Moutiers, if that's where you're going. It's something ludicrously cheap like £10 return and takes you right up the mountain in under two hours. I'm going to Val Thorens, first bus is pretty early, 0400ish? Not sure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.altibus.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy