Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau - which ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Ellmau for the first time in a couple of weeks. I think that there are at least three ski schools there. I'm wondering which one would be the most suitable for our 8 year old daughter.
She has had two weeks skiing previously and was starting to ski green runs the Last time out. If it makes a difference for location we are staying at the SportHotel.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funny enough I just am pondering the same question, we go early Feb and it will be OH's first time on skis. There seems to be huge difference in price with Ellmau Hartkaiser being about 50% cheaper than the other two. Now I don't mind finding a bargain but would also hate to compromise on the quality of instruction, but from their websites there dosen't seem to be a lot to distinguish between them. Any comments would be very welcome.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billywifta, tangledupinblue, We'll be in ellmau next week (for the 5th time) with the children for the first time so we have three boys 9, 8 & 6 who are going into ski school too although I'm not sure which one yet!

Anyway, i know nothing about the Hartkaiser ski school but it doesn't have a great rep from what I've read but I haven't tried it so can't say in any way.

The Top ski school is on the way to the hartkaiserbahn train so it's on the other side of town from the SportHotel and it seems that the lessons end on a Wednesday which I find hard to believe but that's what they tell me in the emails (perhaps it got lost in translation Toofy Grin ) however it has an amazing kinder zone and long long nursery slopes.

Having said that, I am fairly sure that we are going to put the boys into the ellmauer/reds even though the Top ski school is right beside our house but its only a 10 minute walk so no major drama (or a 1 minute drive). For you billywifta, it's right outside your door so you shouldn't look beyond that and it's probably the best one from what I can see.

As a matter of interest, the sport hotel is great from what I could see when I popped in last march (bar, pool, big fire, lovely restaurant) and is in a great place. Ellmau, all in all is lovely and I've been there with a group of lads, my wife, our friends, and if you aren't looking for st Anton night life or val d'isere skiing, ellmau and the ski welt is hard to beat.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My father inlaw stopped there about a month ago so he could check it all out, he also said that the Tops ski school looked like it had the best facilities. Whether thats the best instruction, who knows?
Freshlegs.....i'll look out for your post. We go out on the 28th January.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
billywifta, best facilities but short week and it won't suit you - it would want to be very good to use them. We'll see.

Back to you next week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to ellmauer scischule. Big classes (12! In my one) and standards very mixed in the same class. Same for the kids. They said this was due to fewer people skiing. Instructors great though. Top ski school claim they have better instructors and fewer in the classes which is why they are more expensive. Can't comment other than that about them.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back from Ellmau and we had a good week skiing.
We used the 1st Ellmauer Ski School which was the nearest to our Hotel (Sporthotel), in my opinion this is the best ski school.
The instructor (Gwen) was excellent with the kids in my daughters blue group, all the kids seemed to improve a lot during the week. They also have a couple of attractions during the week such as a ski demonstration on a floodlit slope, a disco/entertainment night in one of the apres ski bars and of course the races at the end of the week.
I believe this school is the most established one in Ellmau and has courses for every level, the set up is very professional and well run.
Our friends decided to use the Tops ski school for their daughter and partner, their six year old did very well and improved a lot in the school. However Craig (a 37 year old with not much eperience) who was just grasping parallel skis before the trip did not enjoy his experience. His instructor was not really interested in improving everyone ability and did very little to bring the group on to the next stage. He left the lessons frustrated.
We all enjoyed Ellmau and would return to the SkiWelt area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just got back from 10 days in Ellmau.
I had an advanced 5 day ski course starting on a Sunday.
To start we all had to walk up a hill, at least 30-40 of us, and ski down a slalom course to grade us.
I go put in the advanced group( not bad 13 years off skiing) but problem was there were 14 PEOPLE in my group!

I had emailed ellmauer scischule (ellmau ski & Snowboard school) and they assured me, 12 maximum and also in early March the classes would not be that big.

Was not impressed. Our instructor, although a very nice guy, me being the only English speaking person in the group I was in, really was a waste of time.

It is same story, you get what you pay for.... In my case, I paid to learn German, and stand around as 14 people is WAY to big for a so called "advanced class"
On the upside, they do have great ski's to hire. And as far as I'm aware one of the best prices.
Much cheaper then inter sport .

I will not use them again and would not recommend them, as I have in writing maximum 12 in a group. All they care about I guess is the money??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy