Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Ski Length - Quick Answer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got the boy's skis out of the garage ready for skiing and we are debating if they are still long enough for him.
Without talking weights etc Could anyone give me a quick answer on the length of a child's skis( who is a decent skier).
Should they come to his chin, nose, top of head, or above his head.

Thanks

Gareth
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say for a less confident child short is fine.So chin level would be fine.

For a heavier faster skier say a fairly confident teenager,then nose to top of head would be acceptable.

For an experienced boy racer then slightly above head would be acceptable.

If they are twin tips then always add a few cms extra length..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My youngest skied on twin tips this year that only just came to his chin. These were probably a tad to short for him since twin tips tend to ski shorter than their tip to tip length. I tend to think its similar to adults, When they are learning they want to be chin height, and by the time they can ski the mountain they are level with the top of their heads, or at least I hope so since this is what I have just for this year, but the idea is that they might last a couple of years growth before they are too short for them - say chin height or lower.

If they are between the chin and top of the head I'm sure you will be fine. Lower than the chin = too short. For a decent skier I'd say the closer to head height the better. However, don't forget kids will ski on whatever you give 'em (particularly younger kids who just want to ski). So if you are between head and chin height I don't think I'd worry. IME kids and ski lengths doesn't seem that critical. Esp. until they are old enough to start worrying about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine is 14 and a very decent skier, good enough and old enough to have a valid opinion - His feedback to this was "*mum, say that size only matters, for decent kids if it matters*" The range he played on at Xmas were 144's (barely, if even, chin) through to 175's (a good few inches above head)- he had fun on them all.

*As in, within the 'head' range
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An experienced younger skier who wants to carve turns as opposed skid them will benefit from a longer ski.It will promote better technique and avoid lazy skiddy turns.

Weight and height do play a part once they become taller and heavier(my oldest son must weigh 11+ stone and is 5ft10in tall) so childrens specific skis are a bit soft and wishy washy now .Once a child reaches this stage in there skiing career you may as well treat their kit like an adults and go longer and wider depending on the type of skiing they like.

Obviously if they are less confident then a nice piste orientated carving ski in a medium length will promote confidence.The last thing you want with kids is to go to long and for them to struggle and lose their confidence.Better to enjoy their skiing rather than to get too bothered about what length they are skiing on.

You only have to ski during the French holiday period to realise that the average snowHead offspring is far better kitted out than the ancient old hand me downs that some French kids have to put up with.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beginners - especially very young ones - chest height. Once they've got a bit of experience nose height +/- a bit (although as a rule of thumb if you're buying get them nearer to head height, and replace once they're almost down to the chin). Otherwise depends upon the type of ski/skier. My 143cm 10 year old is on 130/137 slalom skis and 144/151 GS skis for eaxmple. For an all mountain ski somewhere in the middle of that range would be right.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Beginners - especially very young ones - chest height.

+1 - that's what easiski told me. and for older (7 - 8 year old) beginners why more than shoulder height?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hedley wrote:
An experienced younger skier who wants to carve turns as opposed skid them will benefit from a longer ski.It will promote better technique and avoid lazy skiddy turns.

+1 for this ^ .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's 10 and his 130s are just above his chin. I'm not sure it's worth the money investing in 140s for two trips and a few dry slope competitions this year. May wait a year and get him some 150s that will last another couple of years. Unless I see a cracking deal on e bay I'll leave as they are.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is why I love snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy