Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots for really wide feet. Tried Technica Phoenix Max and Lange RS 110

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I'm a new skier in California / Silicon Valley and would like to get into the sport but I'm having a lot of trouble finding boots that are wide enough to fit me. I'm normally a size 7 4E (about 25cm). I'm male, pretty short at 5'5" and have shorter legs.

I tried a Technica Phoenix Max in size 26.5 and it felt too cramped (that's actually a size larger than I would normally wear).

I also tried a Lange RS 110 Wide in size 26.5 and that was about as cramped as the Technica, plus it was very very tight around my calves and came up really high on my calves.

The plastic shell on these boots is too narrow for me, and the padding inside just makes matters even tighter.

Any others I should check out?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I probably need a last width of at least 110mm, 115mm to 120mm preferably.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, you need a bootfitter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
No, you need a bootfitter.

+1.
I have the same problem. The guy who fitted me said that in general HEAD boots are the best for wide feet. My HEAD edge 10 boots are great for me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fuzzybabybunny, I have a similar problem- I have Head boots which have been stretched (the shell warmed up and then the plastic stretched whilst pliable- there are special infra red 'machines' for this). Not recommended technically but works for me in terms of comfort, no noticeable performance issues and I'd like to think I'm a reasonable skier. In the past I've used Tecnica boots as well which are also meant to come up wider. I also find it's worth getting the custom footbeds done (not liners). Good luck.....and welcome to Snowheads BTW. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fuzzybabybunny,

as others have said you need a boot fitter rather than just trying different boots on, the widest boots on the market are 104-106mm wide in a size 26/26.5 shell but sometimes a 104 will feel wider than the 106 as the toe box shape is better

to get a 110-120mm last you are going to be taking a wide boot and distorting it past sensibility, there may be other reasons that your foot is cramped inside the boot, is it actually that wide or is there some biomechanics reasoning that the foot functions wider than it really is...tight calves, severe pronation, abducted stance etc etc

there a re a few really good guys in your area (within a few hours anyway) in mammoth check out footloose sports, or head towards reno for Bud Hieshman at snow wind sports or to Truckee and speak to Jim Shaffner at Starthaus

these are the top fitters in that region, sure there may be others but you have yo start somewhere
good luck getting sorted
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fuzzybabybunny, You don't need wide boots. You're in the wrong sport. You're a duck! take up swimming or diving Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the exact same problem. After absolute horror for several seasons renting boots I find a good shop in plagne montalbert (France - La plagne) called Intersport that allowed me to try out a brand new out of the box boot after trying it on in the shop. He told me a wide version is generally not exclusive to a certain brand but rather a specific wide model of whatever brand. In general however, he said, HEAD has the most comfortable boots so you're most likely to find a fitting wide version there. I ended up stepping into 2 fiiting models, 1 was HEAD (red/black) and one was LANGE (orange). The HEAD I stil felt pushing (but bearable) on the upper side of left foot but the width was perfect. The lange was not pushing the upper part of the foot but I felt pushing my foot in terms of width. For that reason and the better looking color I went with the HEAD one's. It's a WORLD of difference compared to anything I rented before and for the first time I could actually ski without having to step out of the boot in the middle of the snow after 10min. They still hurt on the upper part of the foot but even so I'm dead happy with them because anything else won't let me ski at all. So go try wide models or get a custom fit, your choice
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic have some wide fitting boots. I have wide feet. I had atomic B9's for a while and they were remarkably comfortable for ski boots. So much so that I was worried they were too big. Anyway, I went to a boot fitter in St Anton and he sold me a very similar Atomic shell with custom inserts. You know that foam stuff that's like builders expandable foam.

The boots and custom inserts didn't make as much difference to my skiing as I hoped. I am still crap. IBut I am confident that the boots fit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
profundido,

stand by to be blasted for your comment

"For that reason and the better looking color I went with the HEAD one's." Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What CEM said.

He actually knows what he's talking about.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would definitely look at the Atomic LiveFit boots.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
What CEM said.

He actually knows what he's talking about.

Agreed; he sorted out my stupid feet.

Take his advice and seek out a decent fitter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would definitely look at the Atomic LiveFit boots.

They're an interesting idea and I did look, but when I put any forward flex pressure on them, the upper nearly caved in, and the last expansion actually became too much: and I'm far from being an expert skiier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy