Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World's scariest ski runs ?

Poster: A snowHead
An interesting list.....
I can tick 4 off so they can't be that bad Laughing
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8896232/The-worlds-scariest-ski-runs.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Coire Cas Gunbarrel on CairnGorm must currently rank quite high on that list!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Harakiri, Mayrhofen
Supposedly the steepest piste in Austria, Harakiri touches 78 degrees at its most terrifying point. It is a relatively short run, dropping straight down the northern face of the 2,000m Penken mountain, above the town of Mayrhofen, but in icy conditions, it's a challenge for most skiers.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The difference between % and º really isn't that hard...

The entrance to Corbetts looks pretty full-on though!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any one with me on really as my fear is not linked at all to my ability. I might also add my wife likes to use human buffers to stop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which is the scariest?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The scariest ski run is the one just a bit harder than one above your ability to stay in control Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feast wrote:
Which is the scariest?

Gotta be up there:

http://homeboyski.com/2009/10/19/riding-the-north-face-of-laiguille-du-midi-via-mallory-porter-couloir/

scrub it 01 from julien regnier
http://vimeo.com/24750626
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ losing your chopper at the start there would've made for a nervous traverse Skullie Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Erm, I'm not saying I'd do it, but the first few mins are just extreme side slipping,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just when I thought "Hole in the Whole" was scary...

http://youtube.com/v/qMCetrSH0p0
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've fallen down Tortin -not a pleasant experience . Traversed across looking for a spot to turn , started turn and lower ski just went. It's the only time I've had a serious fall but it was in hardpack to icy conditions and once you start falling you go faster and faster and nothing you do helps. I was vaguely aware of some rocks below -fortunately missed them and eventually came to a stop. Probably only lasted 10 seconds but very scary.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two off the list for me - Le Tunnel and Belevarde.

I loved Le Tunnel and I agree with the comments about seeing it from the cable car - although looking down from the end of the actual tunnel freaked me out a bit. Enjoyable and the run I'd do over and over if I went back to ADH.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Le Face isn't that bad. I actually skied that one, unlike Harakiri. Silene in Tignes was far worse than Le Face, and you wouldn't get me down Le Tunnel (or any other run on that list!) in a million years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piccadilly wrote:
Le Face isn't that bad. I actually skied that one, unlike Harakiri. Silene in Tignes was far worse than Le Face, and you wouldn't get me down Le Tunnel (or any other run on that list!) in a million years.

Le Face is alright, more interesting if you can't see. Le Tunnel is probably the most fun I have had on ski's, you just emerge onto whay looks like a sheer cliff. Really good fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strongtea wrote:
Piccadilly wrote:

Le Face is alright, more interesting if you can't see. Le Tunnel is probably the most fun I have had on ski's, you just emerge onto whay looks like a sheer cliff. Really good fun.

Went up my own and really didn't know what to expect other than what I'd sen from the cable car. Really pleased when there were a load of other boarders sat at the bottom just egging everyone on. Those moguls were a bit tricky on the old legs...
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Feast wrote:
Which is the scariest?

Gotta be up there:

http://homeboyski.com/2009/10/19/riding-the-north-face-of-laiguille-du-midi-via-mallory-porter-couloir/

scrub it 01 from julien regnier
http://vimeo.com/24750626

Shocked Shocked
latest report
I might be biased ( wink ), but number 5 on this list probably deserves a mention!
http://www.ski-i.com/blog/2010/11/top-5-expert-runs-in-north-america/
latest report
The aiguille du midi clip is the scariest I have seen. Hope my sons don't see this or they will want to do it!
I have done 5 on the list of 10 and going to Mayrhofen next week so hopefully get the 6th, but I doubt if I will ever do the remaining 4. Have looked at all the others except Corbet's so I know that they are beyond me.
latest report
Face, Tortin, GC, Wall. Not been to any of the other resorts to try them out.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
The Coire Cas Gunbarrel on CairnGorm must currently rank quite high on that list!! Toofy Grin

Do you not mean "Ciste"? I'd say the Ciste side of Cairngorm is harder than the Cas.
snow report
^ think he means given the current conditions: Shocked

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=20054
latest report
I did the Harakiri and got the t-shirt...but I can't say I enjoyed it!!...I was overtaken by a German dude falling and he flew off mogule midslide and deffo broke ribs....when I got to the bottom I met my wife and my sister and her husband and went straight into the Vans Park restaurant and downed two large beers without taking breath!!!....never.again.

The La Sarrene in ADH was a cake walk......
latest report
Quote:

downed two large beers without taking breath!!!....never.again.

Well yes. Breathing in between would be more sensible in future. wink
snow report
dazman wrote:

The bluest black run in the world.
snow report
Having just got back from Verbier I'm surprised that Mont Fort isn't in that list. The tuff stuff is shorter than the Wall but more difficult IMV especially the "path" to the actual start of the piste and after having my backside resoundly spanked by Mt. Fort 10 years ago I can now say that I managed to get down without falling and making a show of myself. Tortin was again hard at the top but soon eases off. Of the scariest the drop in to Corbett's Couloir looks completely terrifying. It's on the bucket list but I'm not sure I'd have the bottle.
snow conditions
Think a lot of those just fall into the tiring or taxing camp then scary..i find some resort runs at the end of the day full of drunks who can't ski for toffee either way much more scary..
latest report
IMV, for a marked run, the ridge off the top of the Saulire can have it's moments. Steep down either side and invariably turned into something like a bobsleigh run by the passage of skiers.

Photo from Ian Bramham: http://www.ianbramham.com/
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
dazman wrote:

The bluest black run in the world.

Gotta agree, although I loved doing it nonetheless. The top bit is a bit of a melee as everyone gets off the lift, takes their shot in front of the Pic Blanc sign (me included) and then all try to squeeze onto the top of the run. The face that runs down from Pic Blanc along sarrenne is nice when there's powder and it's not too touch. The flat bits on sarenne were great fun, always a bit of a race between mates to see who could scoot along fastest on our boards. Didn't like the middle sections through when the rocks were starting to come through... ouch!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy