Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any balance exercises i can do which carry over to skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

In prep for my holiday in a month- are there any balance exercises i can do- either in the gym or at home- which will carry across well to skiing? Smile

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aim to strenghten your core:

Pilates
Yoga
Wobble board - or whatever they're called
Large ball to sit on
MBT shoes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stand on one leg maintsining good alignment of knee over middle or 2nd toe...

Now do it with your eyes shut...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Stand on one leg maintsining good alignment of knee over middle or 2nd toe...

Now do it with your eyes shut...

+1
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One legged squats
One legged dead lift
squats on a bosu
Use a balance board if you have one....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a slackline
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Learn to unicycle
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Join a circus!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An instructor once told me that skiing was essentially balancing. So I too did the balancing on one leg thing and all the usual core exercises. Then I thought of ice skating. I did a search online expecting to find loads of evidence for ice skating helping skiing. Surprisingly I found nothing really. So off I went to my local ice rink, hired a pair of skates and stepped on to the rink. I thought, I've been skiing for years and I've been doing standing on one leg and I've been doing core work, this can't be that hard. I found it difficult to stand up, never mind move, I was terrified. I didn't know if I was going to fall forwards on to my face or backwards onto the back of my head. This was far scarier than skiing. Add to this the fact that there were amateur hockey players whizzing in all directions at 30mph. Anyway I stuck at it and after several weeks, several falls, more than several cuts, grazes, bruises I gradually got the hang of it. Better skaters, out of pity I'd imagine, would stop and give me advice. I got as far as going backwards and doing step over turns in both directions before I went off skiing and didn't go back after that. Did it help my skiing? I think yes, especially in the transfer of my body weight from one ski to another. This is something you really have to get right in skating in order to move smoothly, gracefully even.
I just went back skating this week for the first time in a year as I'm going skiing at the start of Feb. I was delighted to find I was able to do the same stuff as before after an hour. Can't wait to go skiing now - sliding is sliding.
The Dancing on Ice People are actually skating at quite a high standard, incredible with the amount of time they've being doing it. Chemmy Alcott, fair dues to you!!
Has anyone else tried skating and do you think it helps?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi wrote:
Join a circus!

Grrrrr...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got one of those balls you sit on in December second hand off ebay, along with a strange contraption called a body shaper. (the body shaper is really wierd, in that it just seems to aid stretching)

http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm

I am finding the balance exercises on the ball, good to do what I want. In particular a long time ago when I used to go to gyms and ask for assistance there, I got a routine which included back lifts, and side sit ups particularly for skiing.

Now, I rarely do those exercises, just because I find them awkward to do. With the ball, it is easier and less clumsy to do the same exercises. The back lifts in particular.

I find the balance exercises with the ball fun (ball balance and ball twist), and strangely challenging. The one where you have to balance on one arm, and then swap arms while keeping your lower body weight on the ball is good. Also, the one where you are in a press up position with the ball between legs, and you roll the ball from side to side. That hits some muscles I never knew I had!

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow, great advice here!

Think im going to get a balance ball and try and stand on it. Have been doing one leg squats for a while which is working well! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In this thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83338, there's a video of some of the training Didier Cuche does (
http://youtube.com/v/0sH2qo73TLI). You can steal some good tips from there.

My advice on riding a unicycle was serious, although you probably need longer than a month. It massively improves your balance and fitness. You'll get bored of the circus jokes and being told you lost your other wheel but google Kris Holm or Dan Heaton and check out some Youtube clips of what they do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cuche is a tank!!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ibex, agreed, skating is excellent prep for skiing. When you get to a decent standard, figure skating is all about control of edges, transfer of weight and balance l/r, fwd/back. When my skiing got to the level of learning to carve turns, I found it much easier than my instructor expected me to! Unfortunately I don't skate much since I moved away from the rink, but the skills stick with you.
latest report
Our local Aldi still has a number of gym balls (+ mat) at £4.99:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_22664.htm

There's also a goodly amount of skiwear still left over. I'm sure it sold faster last year.
snow report
Ibex wrote:
Cuche is a tank!!!!

not half!!! Shocked
snow report
This will really help you all. The right place to balance when you ski is on your 'sweetspot' - the centre of your foot. Many people don't know this. There's a new training product called the SkiA Sweetspot Trainer which has just come on the market, it's lightweight and you can share it with others. It helps you find your sweetspot and learn to balance on it, making your turns much, much better. If anyone wants to direct message me (top right of this page Send/Receive messages) I can give you the website for it, just don't want to get too promotional on this forum. Thanks.
latest report
shoogly wrote:
Ibex wrote:
Cuche is a tank!!!!

not half!!! Shocked
+1 !!!
ski holidays
How about finding a busy pedestrian street, going along with your mates and standing in a line across it, try to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get past. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I got one of those balls you sit on in December second hand off ebay

can you also use it in other months?
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boardiac wrote:
Quote:

I got one of those balls you sit on in December second hand off ebay

can you also use it in other months?
Toofy Grin

It has had some use in January, but it is pink and so I do not want to be seen in public with it!

NehNeh
ski holidays
 cran
cran
TotallyBoard wrote:
How about finding a busy pedestrian street, going along with your mates and standing in a line across it, try to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get past. Very Happy

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
+1 for skating, also Wii balance board is pretty good
snow report
altis wrote:
Large balls

Helps in the steeps certainly.
snow report
Wink
snow conditions
These exercises help to keep me out of the backseat .....

http://youtube.com/v/l9n8fnCgrtM

http://youtube.com/v/lhL99A8r7Hg
snow report
I went to a Body Balance class in the gym the other day, and thought it was really useful - a mix of stretching, core strengthening and balance work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skating - a couple of hours really sharpens up the balance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy