Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the Rossignol Experience 88 Open too advanced for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Im a 90-95kg 28 year old male who discovered skiing last year. Have 10 days skiing under my belt and *love* it. Considering my lack of experience im pretty good (although my limited experience becomes more visable with fategue).

I went on a club med holiday and was in the middle of the tuition groups- in group 4 out of 7 which suited me well.

Im skiing in canada in a month for 4 weeks so i intend to improve considerably during this time (i will be getting lots of lessons!). Before i go i will buy some skis (i have boots). I want something that will let me beast it down the slopes at crazy speeds, learn to carve properly, and if i meet the right people i will go off piste too! Im not interested in tricks or park stuff.

These look good:

http://www.snowandrock.com/rossignol-experience-88-open-(ski-only)/skis/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/20512

Are they appropriate for my needs? I want something that is ok for my level- but will cope with my inevitable improvement in skiing ability over the month im away.

Any advice would be excellent thanks (even if its not really related to the topic)- i have a lot to research and learn about this amazing sport!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How fast do you like to ski? Do you prefer to skid/slip your turns or do like to hold a powerful carved turn and "Mach" it? I believe the experience skis are best at speed, and being truly carved.

88 is a reasonable width for you I would think, though you might need to quite long to maintain a surface area that will keep you floating in powder (if you take a foray into the softer stuff). You're about 20 kg heavier than me and I'd be looking at Experience 98 in a 177, so I guess you want to be looking 185 or more, though sticking to 180ish might make turning easier, if you prefer to have a slightly easier time. They're great skis though, so have fun!

Edit: Ps - these are about the top limit of "too much" for you, I should say. Something skinnier is likely to "flatter" you and give you the confidence in your technique. When you get to a steep or icy section, something skinnier will, in my opinion, protect your trousers from brown moments...
I would think you'd need some private one-on-one lessons to keep you happy (not thinking "oh crap, why did I buy these massive bloomin things I hate them"), safe and confident - and most importantly; improving. I tried some skinnier more racey skis on a recent ski test and on hard-pack/ice I was far, far braver/less scared and so they were a) less tiring b) more fun [considerably] and c) faster in getting me to the bottom of the run. I would have struggled on them in softer, deeper snow though, which I think Canada has [I know v little about non-European skiing conditions tbh]. Hope this helps!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in S&R on High St Ken earlier today, and there were plenty, plenty, plenty of bargains on the ski front.

Looking at your list of criteria,
Quote:

I want something that will let me beast it down the slopes at crazy speeds, learn to carve properly, and if i meet the right people i will go off piste too! Im not interested in tricks or park stuff.

I'd have a look at the Watea 94. OK, so right now it might be a little more ski than you really need, but you'll be able to progress with it. I've only tried them in a fridge, but I was suitably impressed with them. Should be OK for some slack-country adventures too!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JaMMi - Im very much the second type- try and carve and Mach it Very Happy

Following on from your final paragraph- is there a ski which is perhaps one notch down from them? Im not bothered about being flattered by the ski, but i dont want them to hold back my enjoyment or development. How does the experience 98 compare to the 88? Is the 98 more powerder orientated?

(i was sold a Soloman impact 10 {130 flex} by the snow and rock guys last season- i could cope with them- but they were too stiff for me so they went back. They were holding me back a bit tbh due to their advanced level)

Carlos- thanks man i will look at the Watea 94 too

What are the differences between the Watea 94 and the Experience 88/98???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi billy boy - The Watea 94 is a more dedicated off piste ski than the Experience 88 and probably beyond where youir skiing us at right now.

I've tested the Rossi in a fridge (S+R Manchester) and loved it. Remarkable good on hard show for its width. They carve really well, feel much shorter and narrower than the dimensions would suggest, and are pretty forgiving for an 88. Probably a very good bet for Canada where the pistes will generally be softer than the Alps. These US reviewers all seemed to like it
http://youtube.com/v/94Z3AfG2gzQ

But . . . . . almost every ski I've ever tested has turned out to be slightly different to my preconceptions, good and bad. Other people's reviews relate specifically to them, their height , weight and ability. You've got to ski them yourself. If you finish the first run with a smile on your face you will know they are right for you. As you are going to Canada for four weeks I would buy them out there after testing as many as you can. Whatever permium you may pay for that will be cheaper than buying a pair without testing and them not being quite right.

The other consideration is that as you have only skied for 2 weeks your skiing level should be dramatically after another 4. The right ski for week 1 should be different from what you need in week 4.

Having said all that, if you absolutely have to get some skis before you go the Experience 88 is a great ski IMO. It shouldn't be beyond you provided you get some decent instruction at the start of your trip.

(Using your boot analogy the 88's are more on level with the Salomon Impact 8 boots (100 flex) than the Impact 10's that were too much for you i.e. intermediate to advanced rather than expert)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
no, i think you should always buy the best equipment you can afford. Buying cheap stuff will only hold you back as you progress. That was my experience with a skateboard at least. People saying x bearings were too fast, start with slower bearings etc etc. all balls. you learn to ride your kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy