Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An OAP takes up ski-touring. What do I need?

Poster: A snowHead
I am doing an introductory "decouverte" day of ski randonnée on Sunday. I've spoken to the guide/instructor and he has suggested I hire skis, boots and skins tomorrow, and try them out.

I haven't the slightest idea how to go about this - obviously I will go to recommended shop and ask their advice but it would be useful to have some pointers beforehand.

My priority is gear which will be moderately easy to use - it's just an introductory day, we're not going to be doing any big ascent, so if there's a trade off between lightness of gear and ease of use for a beginner, I'd go for ease of use.

I'm a bit nervous about this - hope my two companions aren't 25 year olds fresh out of the French army.

At least I'll learn some useful French vocabulary!

Very grateful for any useful information.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most rental places I've experienced have Fritschi bindings (as shown in the youtube clip below). For a one day course fritschi are easier to get on with than dynafit.

http://youtube.com/v/Y8cxh1_76Tk

Marker - similar to fritschi

http://youtube.com/v/7ly4cGvtBCE

Dynafit

http://youtube.com/v/_DysqbyjyRc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, thanks. Useful video.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, There were loads of french soldiers in Tignes during the PSB. You wouldn't have any problems with them coming down, they were generally pants, although obviously pretty fit going up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
My priority is gear which will be moderately easy to use - it's just an introductory day, we're not going to be doing any big ascent, so if there's a trade off between lightness of gear and ease of use for a beginner, I'd go for ease of use.

I agree with what DB said about Fritschis being the most likely offering for hire tomorrow and that they will be a breeze to use, being quite intuitive if you're already used to skiing regular alpine downhill bindings. But if you do get hooked you may soon want to invest in your own kit and don't then be tempted to just go with what you know. If you base the decision on lightness of gear instead (that means Dynafit), you can't help but enjoy touring a whole lot more because you can then do a whole lot more climbing without getting too tired to really enjoy the downhill. That 3rd video clip made the Dynafits look more complicated than Fritschis but they're not really, they're just mechanically different and a lot more efficient with it. They're also good to go anywhere you'd normally take a regular resort binding.

The only other bit of advice to ensure you don't spoil your enjoyment on your discovery day is (and like with any endurance exercise), not to be tempted to go off too fast or to feel pressured to climb at a faster rate than you think you can comfortably do all day. Take it easy to start and speed up if or when you feel comfortable. It's very easy first time you climb to assume that it's going to be a similar work rate for the same uphill progress as summer hiking but the extra 4kg or so on the end of each leg makes a huge difference.

I hope you have a great day. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, thanks. I've told the instructor/guide that I'm an OAP. I am moderately fit, and will certainly take it easy. The downhill ski level required for his introductory days is only ESF Level 2, and I'm comfortably higher than that, though not done much off piste.

I think watching some of the stuff posted by the gnarly men of SHs has intimidated me somewhat - I suspect it will be fine.

Very grateful for the advice - I'm sure that walking up even a gentle hill with 4kg on each leg will be very good for me. wink I'll tell you how it goes. I've done some cross country, but only on tracks/pisted routes. I much prefer the idea of skis with metal edges that I can clamp my heels down on!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I did an introductory ski touring week when I was mid-thirties. Unfortunately nothing since. But one of the guys on the week was an early retiree, late 50's IIRC. He went on to do the Haute Route an month later. He wasn't a particularly fit bloke, nor a particularly strong skier. He just really wanted to do it. And he was fine. I got an email from his wife 3 or 4 years later telling me he'd died. Err, cough, not that that will happen to you like Laughing Just saying, I am sure you can handle as well if not better than he did Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne, Laughing
I have no (current) ambitions to do the Haute Route. But I do have ambitions to last more than another 3 or 4 years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not 100% convinced you will need to hire boots for a discovery day????
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, if you are hiring kit try & hire skis similar to whatever you normally use ( or possibly a smidge wider). The biggest problems I have seen have generally been with people used to skiing 80mm/90mm underfoot all-round skis being given super-skinny lightweight rando skis and lightweight floppy boots. Likewise with boots depending on how much uphill you are likely to be doing and how comfy your boots are consider using these and just hiring skis/bindings/skins.

Have seen a few reasonable skiers struggle over the years due to being on totally unfamiliar & not very helpful kit on the way down...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another vote for using your normal boots unless they are so uncomfortable you can't walk in them. undo/loosen all the clips while skinning if this makes things easier

touring is great because it is a great way to move through the mountains when there is snow on the ground. you can end up somewhere with a nice view and some easy meadow skipping or super steep mega descents - the choice is yours and the kit is the same Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hired boots, skis and skins before seeing the previous few messages. The boots and bindings are Dynastar, and the skis are Dynastar too - 4800. I had a pootle about. The boots are very comfortable and light - quite a pleasure to walk around in. With the heels clipped in they felt absolutely fine to ski; I just felt slightly more inclined to pay attention to being properly centred.

I had a short walk uphill. Felt a right twit putting on skins at the bottom of a green run then walking up to the top of the beginners chairlift - I went in a more or less straight line, some on piste, some off, and skied down OK - off piste, but it was v gentle.

My normal boots are very close-fitting; I really dislike walking in them, though they're fine for skiing (Zipfits). I quite like the little rando boots, which are very new and sparkly and flexible in "walk" mode. Could get used to using them all the time!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, welcome to the wonderful world of ski touring Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, thanks. Baptism of fire tomorrow. 8 am in Beaufort car park - I'm usually only just getting up then and Beaufort is 25 minutes away!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Will be interested to find out how you get on being fairly new to
Touring myself!
latest report
Alans deep bath, I'll let you know but I sincerely hope this is going to be a very, very, gentle introduction. Not like those videos people put on YouTube.
latest report
pam w,

Just to add - doing up touring boots is an art all in itself. Some people leave all the buckles open. I tend to do up the bottom two buckles - this stops my foot sliding forward and bashing my toes until the nails fall off. Some people do all the buckles up.

If it's windy try to find a place out of the wind to put off / take off your skins otherwise they flap around and stickl to each other, your goretex jacket or your forehead etc.

If you have blister packs (e.g. compeed) then take them with you just in case. Wear layers and take a second thin pair of gloves for on the way up. Don't forget to take plenty to drink either.

Have fun tomorrow.

At first it's a faff but after a while you get used to it and then you can get to places other skiers can't reach.

http://www.three-peaks.info/uploads/pics/skitour4_01.jpg
snow conditions
DB, very useful advice,thanks. I discovered this afternoon how hot it gets, climbing up! Compeed is a good idea, will put some in my pack. I only did a very gentle ascent, of about 200m today, but did notice my shins rubbing a little - I have some special green pad things for that, must look them out. Maybe I should have left the top buckle undone. Such a lot to learn!
snow report
Don't forget a camera Pam, enjoy yourself! I remember taking gloves off in about -15 due to being so warm !
ski holidays
pam w, now you know how nice touring boots feel. I got some a few years back and have found them very good. I would, however, suggest you try skiing fast on them, also try them on a black run. On my first couple of such runs the touring boots felt very strange and I thought my skis were flapping around underneath me. I got used to it, or maybe I learnt how to control them better. I would recommend you try them on slopes where you can experiment with speed, slope angle, turn type, etc rather than trying to get used to the boots while following an instructor or guide.
ski holidays
Enjoy, go at your own speed, and focus on not lifting your feet/skis off the snow at all on the way up - slide em. Feels a bit strange at first as you kinda feel the urge to "walk", but far more efficient to slide rather than lift the weight of the boot, binding and ski. Stop often and enjoy the scenery!
ski holidays
Yes barry makes a very good point - slide the skis. If the snow is a bit damp it might be worth rubbing a bit of wax (e.g. candle wax) on the tops of the skis to stop the snow sticking. Your heel lifting is what causes heel blisters, getting just the right pressure on the second (+ third buckle if closed) seems to be key.
ski holidays
pam w,
Have a great time I have really enjoyed the few little randonees I have done.
ski holidays
probably a bit late but this is good on skinning technique:

http://www.mikebromberg.com/tips-for-successfull-skinning/
snow report
pam w,

Where is your report Puzzled I have just finished my days work and was looking forward to reading about your day.
Are you too tired to report Puzzled Still on the mountain (hopefully not) looking for an internet cafe Puzzled Having a well deserved G & T Puzzled
Snowheads throughout the world must be waiting with bated breath wink
snow report
stewart woodward, well said sir. Where are you pam w?
snow conditions
Maybe she enjoyed it so much she's in a hut ready for a summit attempt at first light Wink
latest report
stewart woodward, Laughing well, didn't get back till 5pm, then had a shower and went straight out to dinner. Was starving!

Had a great day, well judged by the guide for an "initiation" I think. I was glad I'd done a bit of familiarisation with the kit yesterday. The other two customers, a couple of young French students, turned up with Alpine gear so we had to go via a hire shop to get them some suitable gear. They were also late (the guide and I had already had a coffee before they arrived - in a café full of gnarly looking mountain men all meeting up for their Sunday randos - I felt a bit out of place!).

So at least I turned up on time, and with the right gear. wink We hiked up around 400m, which is not exactly a lot, I realise, but some of the terrain was quite steep (we had to do lots of conversions) and some was under trees, with icy and uneven snow piles where piles had fallen off the branches. Side stepping up an uneven icy pile of snow between trees, with free heel skis is more complicated than one might think, isn’t it? The tails tend to get left down the hill.

On more open terrain, I had no problem with the sliding bit, having done a bit of cross-country, and indeed the montée was at a gentle pace, and we stopped to look at animal tracks etc to get our breath back. I imagine a key skill of skinning uphill is to choose the optimum route - and of course the guide did that. I did get a blister on one heel (stuck some compeed on when we stopped - thanks DB) and on one shin but had no problem with the aerobic aspects of the ascent. The French student girl, who was a little tubby and a bit over-dressed for an ascent, coped less well with the aerobic aspects but her boyfriend was “sportif", with a lot more mountain experience. We stopped to eat our sandwiches (Beaufort cheese, evidamment…..) beside a lovely old chalet at the "Le Lac du Clou" (this was Areches-Beaufort area) and after lunch the young French guy and the guide hiked up a little further, then came down and picked us up for the descent. We found some quite nice powder snow ("pas top-top mais encore bonne" was the guide's verdict) which was OK (I didn't ski it well, at all, but I did it) but some was "cartonéé" (?sp). What’s that in English? I only learnt French vocab today. The French students are both studying Physics and spoke good English, but the guide didn't, so it was a French day.

I had difficulty with the bits through the trees, seemed quite steep at times, and very uneven, very icy bits of snow which had fallen off the trees, quite a lot of conversions required and bushes to avoid. I had no proper falls (the sort where your skis come off and you have to swim around for exhausting minutes getting yourself back together) but “plopped” several times mostly from “manqué de volonté” rather than anything more serious! At one point my skis were one side of a bush, me on the other - the guide extricated me from that one.

The French girl had, like me, very little off piste experience but she’d been skiing since she was 4 and coped better than I did with the descent. I think she only “plopped” once.

It was an excellent day and I'd like to do some more - but it ain't cheap, with paying the guide and renting gear. Maybe another day before long, provided it's definitely an "initiation" day and I'm not going to have to hike up 900m. At lunchtime the guide was telling us about the Pierra Monta Ski Alpinisme event, in mid March. They do 2000m in 55 minutes up, and 5 minutes down.
Shocked

So - I walked a lot further up a snowy mountain than I'd ever done before, and skied further off-piste than I've done before, enjoyed it and lived to tell the tale. I need a lot more practice off-piste...... Embarassed

The guide, Yves, stopped on the way up to "scotcher" the basket back onto his ski pole. The gaffer tape came out of the backpack - I took a photo of what seemed a quintessential mountain moment!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, if you get into it you may find adding some convertable bindings like dukes to your usual all mountain skis and some skins (picked up at the end of season sales) may work out cheaper than renting.....
snow conditions
kitenski, I did wonder about that, especially as I have two very similar pairs of skis, and could make one of them a rando pair, with Dynafit bindings. given that the kind of skiing I do doesn't need top precision I wouldn't mind making my next pair of ski boots rando boots, and just having them - they're sooooooooooo pleasant to walk around in.
ski holidays
pam w, excellent report and well done on your initiation. Because at the time I had it in my head I was going to do some more touring I had Fritschi bindings put on my new ski's back in 2001 and even persuaded my future wife to do the same. Even though they've never been used for their intended purpose they've been no problem used purely for standard alpine skiing.
snow conditions
pam w,
Glad you are safe and well and enjoyed your day. I thought you may have been enjoying a well deserved G & T,or something similar.
I look forward to more instalments in the future.
ski holidays
pam w,

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes backcountry touring can expose you to all sorts of conditions. Not sure how it works in France but here in Austria there are ski touring groups from places such as "the Alpinenverein" (sort of Mounteneering Council/Club) that do different level tours. Works out lot cheaper than hiring a guide all the time. I hook up with experienced Austrian's and we often go into the back country without a guide on the simple tours.

Example touring pics on this thread .....
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78100&start=400
latest report
Direct links here .....

DB wrote:

Bit out of date now but here's a few pics of a tour 0n Jan 02 2012 from Kripppenstein over to Dachstein and back ....

View from the Krippenstein gondola

Start of the tour

Skinning up

We had planed 6 to 7 hours, but it ended up taking 10.5 hours.

First lift up at approx 8:30, set off at circa 9:00, back at the car 19:30. The snow coverage was very variable (this was just before the recent major dumps) and we ended up skining 400m of altitude downwards at the end in rolling terrain. We had to skin up to a piste and ski down in the dark with headlamps.

Here are a few more pics of the tour ....

Yours truly skiing down from dachstein (I think that's the Oberfeld in the background)

snow report
Looks lovely - rather more ambitious than my effort! snowHead
ski holidays
CAF organise group trips in France. they always look like very social groups when I have shared a hut with them, with a big range of fitness, ability and aspiration
ski holidays
pam w, good on you and great that you enjoyed it Very Happy

Is this a new addiction for you?

Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Looks lovely - rather more ambitious than my effort! snowHead

We all start somewhere (generally at the same point). It was around five years ago I first faffed around with skins and touring bindings etc. I even made the cardinal sin of not drying out my skins after the first day. Embarassed It's daunting at first but after a while it can be nothing more than a social mountain walk with a ski down at the end. I know a few people over 70 who still tour.
snow report
Quote:

Is this a new addiction for you?

I wouldn't describe myself as addicted - but I think I could get very fond of it. However, there's a way to go. Was just going out skiing for a few hours - had rather forgotten about the blister on my heel. I jammed the foot into my v tight Alpine boots but having done them up discovered it was too sore to want to go out just for fun though if it was a case of walking rather than spending the night on a bare mountain, it would be different. Sad Will give it a day or so to heal and make some creme brulee instead!

I like the idea of a social mountain walk with a ski down at the end - will have to explore the options for finding some suitably geriatric companions round here - there's one walk in particular, which I have in mind, with some nice non-scary powder skiing down into the Douce Bowl, but I'd not be very comfortable doing it alone.

Another possibility, much more manageable for me on my own, would be to get some solid kind of cross-country boots, rather than the slipper-like ones I tried before, and the rather chunkier, shorter, "rando" cross country skis and explore the local cross country trails, which are very extensive and some of them very difficult on skinny, heel-free skis. Once I had that gear I wouldn't need to spend any more money.

Worth thinking about.

Meanwhile, will try my snowboard boots tomorrow, which will probably press on a different part of my heel. I seem determined to be incompetent at a range of snow sports rather than getting good at any one of them. wink
snow conditions
DB, what state was the glacier in? I've been meaning to to do this tour for a couple of years but every time I visit my mate nr Salzburg the avvy risk has been high and / or there have been reports of some properly big crevasses.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy