Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

my ski is delaminating. what should I do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am skiing on my ninthward LT 176 tt's. I am an all mountain skiier who skis hard.

Just whent away to Kitsbuhl for a week, when i unpacked my skis, i noticed a small thumbnail sized delamination on the tip of one of my skis. Foolishly i ignored it at first and after half a day skiing i noticed it covered the entire tip. a palm sized patch. i determined that snow pushing into it as i skiid was pulling it open. i baught some electrical tape and covered the edge of the tip to stop snow getting in and splitting my skis.

The tape is a temporary fix and has to be redone after every few runs. its also quite embarrasing skiing around with a ski that is taped together.

I have a few thaughts as to what to do.

1. get tip protectors that will both stop the snow getting in as well as 'clamp' the top surface onto the skis. Though my skis are extremely rare and ninthward doesnt supply tip protectors. Are there any generic tip protectors?

2. drill a hole in the skis and put bolts in the tips. This, im imagining would look pretty cool given the right bolts and would have a clamping effect. has anyone ever drilled a hole in a ski? any problems?

3. get it professionally relaminated i have a quote of 90 euros, a price i am not so happy to pay and i dont know if it will happen again. but if it means i dont need a new pair of skis...

any guidence will be greatly appreciated Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pics of the problem would make it easier to understand what to do.

In the absence of images, I think there are three choices. One is to try and get them warrantied. If that is a genuine delam then the manufacturer should stand by their product in this situation. Second is the professional job. Third is using 24hr epoxy and a clamp or more than one clamp to fix the problem. This is not actually that hard - clean and dry the delam and thes simply work the epoxy into the delam and apply the clamp.

From what you have described, I'd personally go with either #1 or #3.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gorilla is the resident expert on delams, so I would concur with his advice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy