Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on ski choice - free cake anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I am a fairly new to SH but here goes Embarassed . I have surfed the net and all roads(pistes) lead to SH for advice on skis Puzzled . I have just returned to skiing after knee issues - now I am back Very Happy

I have/am 30 years exeprience, ex racer/ex instructor, 6 ft and 15st, ski hard, love bumps,off piste, crud etc - I would like an all mountain ski, fairly stiff (not soft and floppy on hard snow) - 80% off piste (crud & and powder) - something that can blast through - stable at speed - length ? well 177cm to 185cm I guess ?
I have tried PRockets - too light , I had a pair of Sal extra extra hot - great in powder but too soft/light in crud!! (and fell apart)

Now I know I am asking alot but as they say - the perfect partner is out there - we just have to meet

So callenge is - what ski for me - I will consider anything !! and the prize for the best advice - well we come from a family of bakers so - the best "advisor" will get a large celebration cake sent to them in the UK for any occasion they wish to celebrate !

Look forward to the advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl Mantra

I like a nice banana loaf Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps a little more info/thoughts/comments - I know the offer is too good to refuse but it is not tea time yet !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best ski I have used that sounds like what you are looking for is the Atomic Nomad. This was a couple of years ago, so they may not be current, but they are a powerful beast if still going.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wot shoogly said, as long as I get half the cake, the chocolate half! wink

Seriously, for how you describe your skiing and ability they should be on the list of things to try.

A friend that likes to blast has Nordica Hellcats - also could fit the bill - but suspect they've replaced that model - worth a look for what the replacement is.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WRECKER, I know, I thought I'd be blunt and to the point Very Happy

Mantra is a great ski. I looked at them when I was looking for a similar ski a couple of seasons back. I ended up with the K2 hardside (which should also possibly be on your list). Mantra was a bit stiffer than the hardside, but carved beautiful big open turns and was nimble enough if you keep on them all the time. I discarded them because I don't think I'd have the energy to be on it all the time. Hardside is a wee bit more forgiving.

To be honest, I probably would have got them back then if they had rocker. The Hardsides did. The Mantras now have rocker so would be my choice now I think.

One thing i'd point out is that they were fine in soft bumps, but bumps that were more on the firm side were not the mantras playground. They'd be perfect for everything else you say though.

http://volkl.com/ski/skiis/models/mantra

One other ski i looked at but couldn't get in the UK at the time was the Faction Alias. A wee bit wider than the Mantra and now renamed the Agent.

http://www.factionskis.com/en/gear/skis/agent100pro.php
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is great guys - just the sort of help I need - Thank you
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish is right - i have the Atomic Nomad Blackeye (82mm waist) - my stats are shorter (5'9'') and lighter (13 stone) than yours but I have the 167, which comes up to just above eye level, so one or two sizes bigger should be about right for you.

The Blackeye is piste-biased but also good in powder - above it in the range are the Crimson (slightly wider - i think 88mm waist, more off piste oriented i believe but still good on the groomers) and the Savage (wider again, big mountain dedicated ski).

It sounds like from your description that the Blackeye or the Crimson would be your best bet.

And no, I don't work for Atomic! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thepowmeister, And indeed, it was the Crimson I tried. If I wanted something more powerful than my Missions that is what I would go for. But I don't!

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crimson is still there, but if you want something a little wider 93mm underfoot (still great on piste but rocks in the pow) then try the nomad savage Ti, probably in a 186
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Voelkl Mantra, Dynastar Sultan 94 or Pro Rider 105, Blizzard Cochise or Bonafide, Nordica Girish or Enforcer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WRECKER, we both acquired last years Mantras on sale in the summer and they re absolutely everything we wanted. I have found no weak points.

For reference, we are both on 177cms - me: 168cms, 62kgs - her 165cms, 57kgs. Haven't noticed any excess stiffness, but then our other skis are FIS race models.

I haven't read anything anywhere else suggesting that anything else gets close.

I am skeptical about this years rocker making them any better, but definitely worth a shot.

I also remain deeply skeptical that I would want anything any fatter for everyday use.

Whereas I would be quite happy taking the Mantras anywhere as my only ski (and in fact will be doing just that).

I don't like cake.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is the Head Peak 82 worth a look?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
I don't like cake.

Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WRECKER, I've bought a pair of Rossi S3s this season and am very impressed with them. 98 underfoot with a 15m sidecut radius at 178cm. I spent a lot of time off-piste on them over Christmas / New Year and they are great off-piste and surprisingly capable on-piste - they are way easier to carve than they should be and can be performance short-turned. They seem to have very, very fast bases. The only downside I've found is a bit of juddering doing short turns on (proper) hardpack.

If you're looking for something narrower, then an instructor friend is raving about his Dynastar Outland Pros.

I'm 174, 85kg and around an ISIA level skier.

Unfortunately I like cake far too much!
latest report
WRECKER, I normally don't pimp my own products but our own 189 Preacher would be worth a look. The search function will bring up some reviews on here and we have demo skis around the world.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, sorry WRECKER, just need to ask a question....... how short are the S3's? as I measured some of the 186cm version in a shop last season, (they didn't have any 178) against various other skis and they seem only to be about 182 ish, are the 178cm very short? and off piste do they ski their length?

I realise on piste they will be very short. But i need a very quick turning ski for trees, gulleys etc and the 178cm S7 was too big i tried at xmas, (in a width sense) they didn't have any s3's.

I am about same height as you, but 15kgs lighter (not allowed to eat cake, makes me ill!)
ski holidays
carroz, I haven't measured the S3s and they're in Morzine, so I can't measure them sorry. I'd describe them as very nimble though.

I haven't skied S7s, but am told that they ski a lot differently.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but at that money they are very much worth a punt!
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, Thanks, seen that thread, but don't live anywhere near a uk decathalon unfortunately Crying or Very sad
latest report
Surprised no one has mention the Head iTitan yet. Maybe a little too piste biased.

Until I destroyed them the Atomic Ti Crimsons were by far the best do it all ski I've had.
snow conditions
WRECKER, forgot to ask, you mentioned you are looking for a ski 80% off piste. What sort of BC riding are you doing. Multi day tours, lift accessed BC, trees, pow?

Lots of variables but every all mountain ski is biased towards something weather it be piste, park or BC. At 80% off piste you'll be looking for a back country biased ski. Best advise is always demo first.
ski holidays
Dot. - I have looked up the 189 Preacher - do you know where I could demo/try a pair (anywhere around 3 vallies) etc? Thanks WRECKER
snow report
WRECKER, We have a demo center in Chamonix or depending when you go you could take the demo skis from the UK with you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy