Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finish the turn

Poster: A snowHead
...what does it mean?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's a good question. I don't know the answer though..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PsychoBabble, it means "keep turning for a bit longer than you are".

Many skiers / boarders find that once they've move from turn-traverse-turn-traverse to linked turns then they gradually pick up speed as they travel down the slope. This is because they the speed at which the exit the turn is slightly more than the speed at which they entered it - often because they are over-anxious to start the next turn.

Speed incrementally builds up until they feel out of control.

There are two ways to know whether you're "finishing your turns":
- can you ski any length of slope you like without having to stop or "scrub off" speed by doing a semi-hockey stop?
- is each turn an equal distance down the slope - or does the distance between turns gradually increase?

As you turn, keep steering the skis around the arc / back "up" the hill for a "tad" longer.

The "posh" term for this is "control of line".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

- is each turn an equal distance down the slope - or does the distance between turns gradually increase?

good question. I was trying to do short radius turns today, down a section of the piste. OK for a while, then definitely getting longer and faster when the piste got a bit steeper (was an ordinary sort of red). Wasn't a problem - didn't have to scrub off speed - quite happy to go faster, far easier, but it absolutely wasn't what I'd told myself I was going to do!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In an ideal world your turns on piste would leave two clean curved tracks in the snow. From the start of the turn the pressure and edge angle of the ski gtradually builds up, the ski bends more and more. Then the skiier reduces the pressure on the ski in a controlled fashion until the turn finishes and the skis are flat again with very little pressure. Not finishing the turn generally means the pressure is not taken away from the skis in a controlled manor and the skis skid as opposed to leaving a clean arc in the final 50% of the turn. The turns are often rushed and not gradually formed. Instead of curved S turns, skided Z turns are often experienced.

http://youtube.com/v/P7d8n6GXfA8&feature=relmfu
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to disagree with the Z versus S explanation DB, although it's a problem that most intermediates also have and important to fix.

Z versus S turns is about how progressively you turn the skis across the fall line. Finishing the turn is about how long you keep turning.

Whilst the Ski School App claims a linkage, his demo of Z turns moves the same distance down the slope as his S turns.

The demo at 1:05 is a really good example of continuing to steer to "finish the turn" though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's no way I could carve short radius turns on the pistes I was doing the short radius turns on today. I was quite strongly steering the skis - no chance otherwise - but I still couldn't keep the rhythm going right. I think I wasn't being energetic enough.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like his Arcteryx hat and POC gloves. Must look in the shop on Saturday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
I'm going to disagree with the Z versus S explanation DB, although it's a problem that most intermediates also have and important to fix.

Z versus S turns is about how progressively you turn the skis across the fall line. Finishing the turn is about how long you keep turning.

Whilst the Ski School App claims a linkage, his demo of Z turns moves the same distance down the slope as his S turns.

The demo at 1:05 is a really good example of continuing to steer to "finish the turn" though.

Yes fair enough I hear what you are saying and technically you are correct. If someone isn't finishing their carved turn and picking up speed that can also be a problem, esp. in short turns.

However, I suspect most learners don't finish their turns because they are skiing Z's. If you are in a skid it's very difficult to finish the turn in a carve esp. for a learner. Basically as a learner you've got to get into the carve and stay with it before you get a chance to finish it properly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry DB, I'm going to disagree with you again.

Whether of not someone is "carving", and how much edge is involved in the turn, is completely separate from the shape of the turn in terms of speed control.

You can skid a turn and be in control through your turn shape. You can carve clean lines and be in control through your turn shape. You can do something in between. You can have completely flat skis and be in control through your turn shape.

You can't carve if you can't do S-shaped turns. And you won't be able to carve many turns if you don't finish your turns properly.

But you can ski all day and not carve once.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
I like his Arcteryx hat and POC gloves. Must look in the shop on Saturday.

Personally I think you need a hat that shows more of your personality. Lime green is what I'd recommend wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And DB, I'm not trying to be argumentative here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and you can do finished, S-shaped, snow-plough turns, non?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
and you can do finished, S-shaped, snow-plough turns, non?

Yep.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went over 'finishing the turn' in my last lesson. From what i understood it was the movement of flattening both skis at the end of the turn instead of remaining on ski edges until the last possible moment before you initiate the next turn and roll over on the the opposite edge... if that makes sense??
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
I went over 'finishing the turn' in my last lesson. From what i understood it was the movement of flattening both skis at the end of the turn instead of remaining on ski edges until the last possible moment before you initiate the next turn and roll over on the the opposite edge... if that makes sense??

Sorry tomb, but you're mistaken. What you're talking about is turn transition.

You should always start a new turn by flattening your skis.

But you should only start a new turn when you've slowed down to the speed you started the turn at.

Finish one turn. Transition. Gradually and progressively steer / edge the skis.

And repeat.
latest report
point taken but is that strictly true though?? Do you always need to exit a turn at the same speed you entered? What if you want to speed up or slow down?
snow report
How is this applied to short radius turns? Do the same rules apply?
ski holidays
tomb wrote:
point taken but is that strictly true though?? Do you always need to exit a turn at the same speed you entered? What if you want to speed up or slow down?

Good point, well made.

Yes, you can choose to speed up or slow down.

The point is that it's all about being in control of the length of the arc you are skiing and choosing the appropriate time to start the new turn.
snow report
Feast wrote:
How is this applied to short radius turns? Do the same rules apply?

Yes.

If you aren't finishing your turns then short turns will show up the problem pretty quickly.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
And DB, I'm not trying to be argumentative here.

Yes I know.

There's no such thing as a perfect carved turn but turns that are circa 97.62843 % there I would consider this to be called carving.

As you say you can skid turn your skis all day - I'd call this Skarving as there's an element of skidding and carving together

When there's no carving element I'd call this side skiding and this is how many new learner skiers take speed out of their turns. Edge angle plays a role here.

On the Z-turns in the video if he stayed in the "turn" longer wouldn't he just end in in such a skid and come to a stop? As I see it such learners can't finish their turns (stay in the turn for longer) or they would just come to a complete stop every turn. What I am suggesting is that if they had a more gradual carving element throughout the whole turn it would be possible to finish their turns without stopping.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-01-12 22:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
quickly and get onto the next one.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:

Even when you are just snowploughing? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB wrote:
FlyingStantoni wrote:

Even when you are just snowploughing? Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Feast, He started it. wink

In fact the more I think about it there's absolutely nothing wrong with those Z turns. They are just a series of very long traverses held together by a series of very short skarved turns which are exited (finished) at just the right time to keep him going and maintain a constant terminal speed from each turn to the next. Toofy Grin wink

...... and he gets his skis flat at the end of each turn too.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
On the Z-turns in the video if he stayed in the "turn" longer wouldn't he just end in in such a skid and come to a stop? As I see it such learners can't finish their turns (stay in the turn for longer) or they would just come to a complete stop every turn. What I am suggesting is that if they had a more gradual carving element it would be possible to finish their turns.

No.

You appear to be using "carving" as a way of saying using your edges. That's fine, but not relevant to the OP.

In skiing (and boarding) we ski a series of connected arcs. The amount of time you ski around the arc is one of the ways in which we control our speed. "Finishing your turn" is about not releasing that arc (consistently) prematurely so that you continuously, incrementally build speed.

Using your edges is one of the other ways you can control your speed. But it's not the only other way. There are others.

But that's not what is being asked here.

And there is such a thing as a perfectly carved turn. Fastman (who hasn't been around for a while) has a really nice explanation in his videos that the sidecut radius of the ski is the longest radius you can pure carve. Ron le Master (whose book I don't have to hand) has a lovely explanation of how edge angle affects the radius you can carve, but it's something like that at a 50% edge angle you can carve a radius of 40% of the sidecut radius.
ski holidays
Quote:

If you aren't finishing your turns then short turns will show up the problem pretty quickly.

Exactly my problem today. Keeping a slow rhythm of short radius turns down a steep slope is one of my goals; instructors make it lose so easy!
snow report
DB wrote:
Feast, He started it. wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ain't nothing wrong with a good snowplough wink
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:

In a lesson last month with a BASI Trainer, he asked us to describe how we started a turn. I suggested that I "flattened my skis" and he looked at me like I'd just suggested the most old school bull that he'd ever heard.

Oh, and it was definitely the best ski lesson I've ever had snowHead
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni,

Yes we have agreed that staying in the turn means finishing the turn.

You appear to be saying they should just stay in the turn longer and everything will be allright whereas I am saying make the arc present for longer in the turn (the traverse shorter) and then you can finish the turn without flying out of the arc sideways to a stop or crash.

Is Fastman's perfectly carved turn only theorectical or is it actually achievable?
latest report
Wags wrote:
Oh, and it was definitely the best ski lesson I've ever had snowHead

That's great Wags and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We could do a game of "trade a BASI Trainer. But I'm not going to.

Hugh Money's e book is worth a read.
snow report
Slightly different approach to a definition:

You finish the turn when you have completed sufficient arc length to feel a build up of force and have made the range of flexion that you want to use before beginning the next turn. This will enable you control your speed as much as you want, and crucially will set you up for the next turn.
snow report
DB wrote:
FlyingStantoni,

Yes we have agreed that staying in the turn means finishing the turn.

You appear to be saying they should just stay in the turn longer and everything will be allright whereas I am saying make the arc present for longer in the turn (the traverse shorter) and then you can finish the turn without flying out of the arc sideways to a stop or crash.

Is Fastman's perfectly carved turn only theorectical or is it actually achievable?

I think we're trying to say the same thing.

I'm not saying that you just point the skis in a direction and stand on them aimlessly. I'm saying that you should be continuously turning your skis around an arc (and hence "up the hill") - be that by steering (and hence skidding) or by being on edge (and hence carving) or some combination of the two.

A perfectly carved turn is eminently possible. Point your skis downhill, stand on your edges and do nothing and you'll do a perfect carve.

The tricky bit is linking them and controlling the turn shaped whilst still carving. And it's eminently possible.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Ok, but everybody on the PSB that I spoke to also thought that the lesson with this guy was the best they'd ever had!

Like you, I'll not trade BASI Trainers wink

http://mountain-masters.com/team_rupert_goldring.asp
snow report
DB wrote:
... (the traverse shorter) ...
Why would you want to make any traverse? Kills the flow, makes the start of each turn difficult and lifeless.
snow conditions
It has to do with turn shape. If an instructor asks you to "complete your turns" he's saying your turns are on the low degree side (example: 30 degrees), and he'd like you to make them a higher degree (example: 90 degrees)

ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
You finish the turn when you have completed sufficient arc length to feel a build up of force and have made the range of flexion that you want to use before beginning the next turn. This will enable you control your speed as much as you want, and crucially will set you up for the next turn.

Having spent a reasonable chuck of Sunday with Mo, I'd modify that idea to:

"Having completed sufficient arc length to be (fore-aft and laterally) re-centered at turn transition."

Being "a bit geeky" for a moment, I'd argue that there should never be a build up in force as you should be aiming to maintain constant pressure through the snow at all times.

But we're starting to cross over (or under) (very, very geeky joke there) into ski-geekdom...
snow report
I have to say that its great to have guys like FlyingStantoni, ro@rar and Fastman posting on here. (and the others whose names I can't remember) Valuable information given free of charge. Thanks guys
Mike

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 12-01-12 23:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FastMan, surely a short arc turn can be "finished"? There's no absolute answer to finishing a turn that you can measure in degrees. For me it;s whether you have finished the process of one turn and use that to link seamlessly in to the next turn. If you haven't adequately controlled your speed or if you haven't adequately completed your movements your turn isn't finished, even if you're pointing back up the hill.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy