Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic boots with lace-up inners?

Poster: A snowHead
On the BBC website, there's a video of Chemmy Alcott having her new boots modified

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/winter_sports/16432058.stm

It looks like you put the liners on first outside the boot, then step into the boot wearing the liner - the liners seem to have laces on? Has anyone seen / tried these? I've a mate who struggles with boots as he's had foot problems and his toes are fused solid so can't bend, wondering if these boots might be good for him

When I originally asked this question on the Chemmy thread, Bones, suggested they may be zipfit liners, but the colour scheme and design certainly suggest that it's atomic's own stuff - the colours match the boot, the liner features a graphic that matches the boot and so on - but that's not to say they haven't branded some zipfit liners

Anyone know anything? Thought a new thread might catch the attention of some people who may not read AZ Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, traditional foam liners always had laces. So, you'd put toe caps on, protect bunions etc, put bare foot in plastic bag, into liner, lace up, into boot and foaming could start. Once foamed, it was normal to either discard the laces or some people liked doing exactly what Chemmy was doing in putting on liner first, lacing up and then into the shell. Frankly, a major unnecessary faff and only really feasible if the shell is pulled open forcibly by another or by using a device. Not much point to doing that on a recreational basis.

Here's a foam liner of the kind I think Chemmy may have but hers could equally be a non-foam racing liner of the Zipfit variety. I'm sure CEM if he's tuning in will know.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, the tongue has a Comformable logo on it, so it's probably a branded Comformable race foam liner.

It's not uncommon to get lace liners on higher end boots - my Fischer boots have them. The downside is that race boots tend to be a sod to get into because they're low volume and are made of stiffer plastics.

You can get Zipfit liners from CEM that come in a variety of volumes and I'm pretty sure they all have laces. MrsFS has Zipfits and sometimes puts her boots on like that.

The alternative is an Intuition liner, which are similar in feel to a wetsuit material. The advantage of them is that they tend to slide in really easily and when I've had Intuition liners I've always put the liner on first and slipped my foot in.

Get your mate to speak to CEM, who will be able to sort something.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, the true race models have lace up liners, as do zip-fit liners. I have zip-fits and always put the liners on first, then the shells.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've a mate who struggles with boots as he's had foot problems and his toes are fused solid so can't bend, wondering if these boots might be good for him

it really depends about the other movement he has in his foot, what putting the liner on first will do is protect his foot as he goes round the corner of the shell, having a liner on may allow the foot to remain straight during that process, it may not, a lot will depend on the stiffness of the materials over the instep in the shell as this will determine how much force is required to push into the boot with or without liner on the foot

hope that helps
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No way I get put my Zipfit liner on first then squeeze it in to the shell. Wish I could as it seems a good way to ensure that the liner is fitting snuggly, but I just can't open up the shell wide enough.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Really? I can't get my boots on any other way. You've got Atomic CS 130 haven't you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, No, Head Raptor 130 (?). It's a real squeeze to get the Zipfits in even when there's no foot in them. Zipfit plus foot is impossible. When the boot is cold it's even a struggle to just squeeze my foot in.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I went the other way, had Raptors, went Atomic. Can't remember the Raptors being any more difficult to get on though, I had foam liners in them, so it was foot in last with them.
Zip-Fit in the Atomic, I've tried putting foot in last, but no way, plus you can't get the same fit on the liner if you do them up after your foot is in the boot.

I've always seen race boots put on liner first then shell, so thought that was normal. I just pull the shell apart and liner just slides in easy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, the Raptors are a better shape for my feet. I've tried several times to put Zipfit on first. Just won't work for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I might try the Raptors for fit again next time, the overall fit was great in the version I had, but not enough room for my toes. I know the new ones have addressed this and have a larger toe box. I don't think there's much difference in fit for me between the Raptor and the Atomic, in some places one fits better than the other, it's just a case of which one needs less work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, I think you tried the Raptors a season or two before me? Colin chose them for me because of the bigger toebox so I think I probably had the newer shape. Head seems to have tweaked them again for this season, so I'm hoping the the last remains the same shape as I'm going to need a new pair at some point.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I had a pair of the original Red Raptor, but mine were a pre-production model, the toe box needed loads of work to get enough tootsie room. I've tried the Lange too, all boots I try on seem to fit great in some places but no so in others, like I said it's just a case of which one needs less work.

I'll have a new pair for next season(CEM quaking at the thought)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rear entry is the answer!

Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis wrote:
Rear entry is the answer!

Shocked

Are we still talking ski boots here. Or has the thread inevitably drifted???
ski holidays
CEM, thanks, will show him this thread and let him decide if it's worth looking at new boots
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman, No, Head Raptor 130 (?). It's a real squeeze to get the Zipfits in even when there's no foot in them. Zipfit plus foot is impossible. When the boot is cold it's even a struggle to just squeeze my foot in.

I Struggle as well, I think the strings pull the foot too close over the forefoot area, then it's hard to widen once in the boot.....
latest report
kitenski, I don't think once my liners are actually in the shells that the laces make any difference. They just hold the liner in the right position until I do the boots up. Even if I undid them altogether once they're in the shells there's no room for them to go anywhere anyway. The laces on mine are speed laces, so just pull the cord and slide the lock down, just like a snowboard boot, can't really over tighten them in any particular area.
snow conditions
Spyderman, do you find it easy to get you're boots on?
snow report
My lad has CEM fitted Zipfits.
Putting them on outside the boot and then getting into the shells was made a LOT easier by a quick spray of the shell interiors with some furniture polish.
He only needed to do that every ten days or so.

I think he now leaves the liners in the shell though, over time the outside of the Zipfits was getting quite worn by the daily in/out and he began to worry about wear and tear degredation.
ski holidays
Well there's a relief I thought it was only me having to put my Zipfits on first (well it was in the boot room of Diva in Tignes)

I was of the same opinion as kitenski thinking the laces had pulled too tight over the forefoot, but maybe not.

One slight concern I have is that when removing my Zipfits from my Lange RX's the black section (sole?) on the heel of the zip fits catches on a plate at the back of the boot and is pulling it away slightly, not a major concern yet, but anyone else have that issue ( may put some duck tape over the plate?)

Maccaa
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, I had a pair of the original Red Raptor, but mine were a pre-production model, the toe box needed loads of work to get enough tootsie room. I've tried the Lange too, all boots I try on seem to fit great in some places but no so in others, like I said it's just a case of which one needs less work.

I'll have a new pair for next season(CEM quaking at the thought)

better start saving, the new version of the CS (very nice it is too) goes up in price by £100, gave me a bit of a shock when they told me but it "has got lots of new technology in it"!!! so i am reliably informed Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, I'm sure you'll need a door mat or something wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
CEM, I'm sure you'll need a door mat or something wink

would be one fooking big doormat at the cost of them fro next season!!
snow report
CEM, I do some very special ones.
ski holidays
Boot problems which i have as i have very strange feet as my big toes don’t bend at all it’s a real bind for me to get in and out of the boots as NTB knows allot about!! I was told about Rivington Alpine which is a shock as i live in Wigan and the new shop is in Chorley which is only 20 min's away. made an appointment for some footbeds with having very strange feet as you do i was there for 2 and a half hours where i had my ankle realigned with my arch so i can stand up straight??
Any way to cut a long story short Graham did advise me if i was looking for a new boot there was a new one on the market called Full Tilt where this is a 3-piece unit where the tong on the shell lifts up so you can slid your foot in very easy which i did try a pair and yes it was that easy to get into with no swearing or grunting!!

So if anyone is looking for new boots or footbeds in the northwest area make an appointment or just pop round for a coffee and a biscuit

P.S bring your own biscuits
ski holidays
Dalbello also use the same 3 piece design I think from Raichle, with Intuition liners that wrap around your leg. The whole design is very easy to get on and off - I have the Krypton Cross ID (http://www.dalbello.it/en/product-krypton_cross_i_d-97) and extremely happy with them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy