Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New snowboard - to wax or not to wax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Newbie here with a quick question about waxing. I've just bought my first snowboard and am about to head away for a weeks fun and games in the Alps. Is it advisable to get it waxed before I head away. Read mixed answered elsewhere. Not sure how much it matters what board it is but if it does it's a Yes Basic.

Cheers in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a new board for Christmas Cool Took it to MK for a pre trip test. I thought that all new boards were supplied 'dry' so to speak but mine had a sticker on the base saying 'factory waxed'. 2 hours at the snowdome has left it looking dry on the points of higher pressure so will be waxing it again before heading out to France on Sunday Very Happy I was glad I took it for a test as I don't take my waxing kit with me on holiday and it would have been a 30 euro trip to the ski shop. Maybe I missed a trick and the 'factory wax' relates to a preservation coat for display/ transit purposes but I would say check with the guys you bought it from if its a shop or with the manufacturer. If you can't do that then I would probably get it waxed again rather than running on a dry base and screwing your new board!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All boards are factory waxed, some really well, others not so well. An unwaxed base looks dry, a bit white or sort of frosty.

Something to note is that domesnow is more abrasive than real snow - it tends to strip wax off a board way quicker than the real thing. Maybe get some wax and do it yourself anyway - it's a great, exiting, relaxing thing to do - it really gets you in the mood for a holiday. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg speaks the truth.....

Don't know how Yes boards compare with the rest (my Flow WX certainly didn't need any extra attention during it's first week), but more wax isn't going to do any harm, and it's a wonderfully therapeutic thing to do before you go away. Have a little shifty at www.jonsskituning.co.uk for some of the best advice you'll find, or google to find some more basic guidance to begin with. Enjoy!

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah do it, a fresh bit of wax can make a huge differance and for the small cost its worth it. I have had my done in the resort , think it was st anton last year and it was a tenner.
I had a new Head board and the factory wax was rubbish.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dont wax it! Yes wax their boards well. My new Big City lasted a week with factory wax and to be honest I reckon it could easily do another. YES RULES!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think I'm going to leave it til I get out there...give it a whirl on the first day and can then always stick it in overnight somewhere if it feels like it needs a wax. Definately going to look into doing it myself next time though. Cheers for you help
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you decide not to wax then you could always chuck a puck of notwax in your bag rather than the full kit and then if it gets too sticky you can give it a quick fix.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My first coat of factory wax lasted about 2 days in early March on the mountain in good snow (ie. it was below zero, not spring snow).
A decent full hand waxing lasts me about 3 days (unless it's wet/spring snow then maybe only 2), thats pretty much going first (ish) to last (ish) lift.

Notwax is ok for a quick slap on, but I find it doesnt last long. Good for wet / spring snow though. Worth keeping a puck handy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The factory wax on my Burton lasted 2 weeks of riding.

Wax it when it really needs it, not before.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sergio, dead easy waxing yourself and highly satisfying rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrpugster, said
Quote:

dead easy waxing yourself and highly satisfying

Might I suggest you stick with waxing the board Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robapplegate wrote:
If you decide not to wax then you could always chuck a puck of notwax in your bag rather than the full kit and then if it gets too sticky you can give it a quick fix.

Agreed, I did this with my K2 this year, and it lasted about 7 days on factory plus notwax. In hindsight would probably have done it myself however before I left. But that's cos I know I can do a better job than the numpties in Skiset.... ^_^ Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HP58ByqWwL9HhyBuUMVG4YuQ4RUnrTSIaaslAKLH2xc/viewform
If you could take a minute to complete this survey. It is for my engineering design and development class. Thank you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My factory wax job was the longest lasting wax my board has ever had.

It was a Burton that was handmade in Vermont, so maybe they get an extra special factory wax job.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy