Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why oh why do i use short skis well.....

Poster: A snowHead
I keep getting asked this" why after 22ys of skiing have you gone onto short skis" well...

1.Im a tight git so i can pack them into my golf bag along with all my gear and not get clobbered with extra luggage costs which seem to constantly increase.

2.They are easy to use quick to turn and avoid an ever increasing amount of kamakazi skiers now often found in resorts.

3.Easy to lug around and i can use them all over the mountain, although deep powder can be challenging.

4.They are good fun and thats what i want out of my 10 days skiing each year.

I went to them because when i learnt to ski or rather throw myself down a mountain in the army we used at one time short skis and they were excellent and so i decided to go back to them.Ive been using the Atomic 123 etl,s for the last two seasons and they have proved to be an excellent piece of kit.Im not a ski snob and yes i have been sneering a the snowboards then the skiboards the uni ski etc.

Why am i writing this because three of my group use this forum so they can print this and stop taking the p***
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob4364, you are a snowblader. Everyone is going to take the p****, all of the time. You might as well learn to live with it. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short skis rock! Shorter the better! Welcome! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you use short skis well, congratulations and keep on having fun. Most people I see on short skis are using them badly and are often the kamikaze skiers that you need to give a wide berth to.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They're not short skis, they're snowblades.

Once you come to terms with the fact you're a snowblader, only then can your friends accept you.

You might have to take of the silly comedy hat and low slung backpack that is the blader’s de-rigueur attire though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They are a toy. Good fun for an afternoon. Get some Kneissl big feet for off piste - wider under foot than many "All Mountain" planks. Useless at anything much more than walking pace though. Should be portable enough to carry both around the mountain and swap depending on what you are about to "ski" Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
If you use short skis well, congratulations and keep on having fun. Most people I see on short skis are using them badly and are often the kamikaze skiers that you need to give a wide berth to.

Agreed.

(we seem to be agreeing with each other (unsurprisingly) and awful lot today Rob@rar ... I wonder why - haa haa)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Angus, wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rob4364, that is the strangest 1st post I have ever seen, welcome to snowHead 's. Snowborders are welcome here so I dont see why someone who rides 'gay blades' wouldnt be welcome too. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitten Killer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:

Bingo!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How short?

I skied the E couloir of Mt Gelas on a pair of Decathlong Wedz

the guy you see below me had made 2 turns by the time I was on the other side of the plateau in front.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My main experience with bladers is:

Group of twatty Irish teenagers who were behaving like absolute knobs and seemed to be following me round the mountain

Going up the Arpette lift in LP they always seemed to stick to that other blue to the skier's right of the main Arpette run that had loads of flat bits. You can't get to any sort of speed without them becoming hugely unstable (or so it appeared) so they kept bailing, then not having any speed at the flat bits and having to walk. Was tres amusant, no idea why there were so many gaybladers on that one piste.

Also there was a guy on gayblades at Chill Factore last time I went, what on earth's the point? Surely you'd only use blades because you can't deal with real skis but want to have fun in the mountains anyway? He kept getting in my way too.

Must admit they look quite fun for a play around cos of the whole easy turning thing but the lack of speed would annoy me after a while.

Also, snowblading with poles is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on the mountain. More ridiculous than monoskiers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rob4364, Nice cat among pigeons post, have you now disappeared or lurking under another id?

I'm reasonable on skis (My opinion) and for the same reasons did 7 seasons (Weeks) on snowblades and nothing more entertaining than turning up to ski leading and easily keeping up or racing skiers slaloming around snow cannons Laughing

Amazing how much interest generated from other skiiers questioning their choice and not mine. Now back on skis as legs not up to the racing side slip that is snowblading unless trying to generate extra speed powering off the edges.

Now will I sneak them in luggage this year?
snow report
Quote:

Surely you'd only use blades because you can't deal with real skis but want to have fun in the mountains anyway?

Nauseating Pushy proud mother alert

My 14 year old son loves messing about on shorties and truth be told would whoop about on them all the time. But he can also switch to 170 gs and knock out a fleche d'or (just, by the skin of his teeth at Xmas this year) I used to be a bit anal about trying to put him on the 'right ski' - probably a bit too much aspiration for him as the next Bode Miller when it truth one day he'll probably make a decent instructor at best ........or more likely just a happy ski bum that one of Lizzard's ex colleague types will be scraping of an alpine pub floor somewhere. Now as long as he's safe and he's respecting the safety of others it doesn't matter what he is skiing on as long as he's having fun, staying fit....... and doesn't whinge when I insist on a lesson every now and then!
snow report
Rob4364 wrote:
Im not a ski snob and yes i have been sneering a the snowboards then the skiboards the uni ski etc

You sound like a man who has not yet discovered the Rax ski!
ski holidays
Serriadh, particularly liking this bit:

Quote:
Wives and girl-friends of skiing experts
RaxSki allows you to chase the trace of your big teacher! While carving on your rear fins in the woods watch him jumping on his conventional skis.

Sure to p!ss off any feminists out there!!
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:
Also there was a guy on gayblades at Chill Factore last time I went, what on earth's the point? Surely you'd only use blades because you can't deal with real skis but want to have fun in the mountains anyway? He kept getting in my way too.

Last time I went (Christmas week) a guy was on blades too.... don't see them often though!
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:

You sound like a man who has not yet discovered the Rax ski!

Love this bit from the FAQ section:

Q: When I lean back on RaxSki I will probably fall backwards as the ski tail is so short ?
A: Yes you will provided that you are not driving fast enough.The speed generates the necessary frictional force at rear fins that will save your bottom.
The faster you are the safer.Laughing

Anyway, I'd try them. But I like short skis and am going to try blades for the first time very shortly Toofy Grin
ski holidays

The Legend can't be wrong!
snow conditions
The correct term is froot boots!
snow report
flintstoner, yup but there was only ever one saucerboy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm compiling my new 2012 saucerboy outfit currently, looking hard for some original big foots, thinking I might drill them for Dukes....just to show how core I am....
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:
I'm compiling my new 2012 saucerboy outfit currently, looking hard for some original big foots, thinking I might drill them for Dukes....just to show how core I am....

Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm not personally a fan of short ski's/blades but whatever you choose to slide down the mountain on, as long as you enjoy it, who cares what people think! I would say that people who don't get on well with ski's seem to use them (with poles strangely?) as they are easier.

Aren't they a nightmare on sheet ice though?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 25-01-13 13:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
dredgey wrote:
Aren't they a nightmare on sheet ice though?

Not really you just hit ice not expecting to grip, was told years ago on skis that unless sharpening your edges a couple of times a day to just hold out until you find some snow to turn on.

Yes any skiier who can generate drive when turning will leave you standing however there are a lot of people riding skis rather than driving. Love both at different times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy