Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mystery of the fog

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure there is a really easy answer to this but how do you stop your goggles from fogging up? Mine (Dragon) fog after the first run and I have to resort to shades. Can't wait to get away and feel the snow under the board again. Have been having very surreal dreams about this!

Cheers y'all

Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saxabar, Welcome to Snowheads.

If you do a search under User Facilities, the answer will emerge from the mists ('scuse the pun).

But as a short answer - don't allow your self to heat up and sweat, coz that's wot's causing the fogging.
Alternatively buy better ventilated goggles.
And don't put them up on your head when you're resting. Similarly don't "huff" into them to try to clear them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear specs which can be a real pain if both specs & goggles steam up. I've found that I need to leave the goggles alone once they're on and the initial misting has cleared. If I take them off (on a lift, eg) they immediately steam up when I put them on again. Gets me some weird looks standing in the lift queue wearing goggles but I would probably get those anyway!

If the goggles steam up when you're going downhill, try going faster - kill or cure!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Make sure your hat/helmet alows air to pass throughthe goggle's vents.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, make sure the vents at the top of the goggles are unobstructed. Certainly on the move, tilting your head forwards a bit can encourage the air flowing through and will keep the goggles clear. Oh and don't touch the lenses, esp not with greasy sunscreened fingers! but do take a lens cleaner/anti-mist to it every evening if it's a problem.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-09-05 11:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gob on the insides .. that will sort it.. ask any scuba diver
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all,

Here's to not riding of the side of a mountain.

A rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CANV CANVINGTON, you beat me to it. A good spit in your mask always keeps it clear in my experience Laughing. I heard once that if you smeared a little washing up liquid on the inside of the lens that would stop it from fogging up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saxabar, These will do the trick, I had a pair and they were excellent
Sadly lost them Sad

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SMI0180/c1/s100000021/Smith-Knowledge-Turbo-Cam-Goggle.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markw wrote:
I heard once that if you smeared a little washing up liquid on the inside of the lens that would stop it from fogging up.

I think that's a bikers trick, it was a biker who mentioned it to me at least. Seems to work pretty well for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look slick as.... but the gobbing idea seems to be the winner so far. I don't think my bank manager would be too pleased about me asking for an extra overdraft so I can buy new goggles! Shocked

Markw wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, you beat me to it. A good spit in your mask always keeps it clear in my experience Laughing. I heard once that if you smeared a little washing up liquid on the inside of the lens that would stop it from fogging up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, you're joking, right? Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It does make some sense to have a light mild viscus (or however you spell it) cover. A tad gross but at least it is your own. Certainly beats spending another £60.

Manda wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON, you're joking, right? Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gobbing is the answer. Helps if you are mega fit, no clothes on, and a superb skier. Any perspiration or humidity and you are done for.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saxabar,
Quote:

A tad gross but at least it is your own.

I have been on diving boats when it isn't always your own, especially when the skipper is in a hurry to get you in the water Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
You're not calling boarders unfit are you... Very Happy
snow report
yeah we all spit in our diving masks..... not good when you got a cold !

they also sell some stuff in a tube that you wipe on the inside, no one ever buys it when you can make ur own !
snow report
Can it and flog it on Ebay
snow conditions
My goggles are not an expensive brand but I have found that being double lensed, the fogging has been virtually eliminated from when I used to have a singles lens type beforehand. I think Dragon ones are only single lens aren't they?
ski holidays
Quote:

no one ever buys it when you can make ur own !

I asked for it at our local scuba shop. They don't sell it as "no one will buy it except you!" They now call me Mrs "too posh to spit!" Evil or Very Mad
latest report
its does work . especially when your swimming.. im not talking a full blown phelm ball ..you want to be able to see after all !! just a bit of spit smeared over the lens.. though i have to say i have never had problems with ski goggles with double lens.. and i prefer the cheap ones that you dont mind stuffing in your pocket when the sun comes out and the sunglasses go on
snow conditions
maggi, lol, i know a joke about a lady who spits !
ski holidays
Gobbing is gross and you shouldn't need to do it; follow the other tips here and you'll be OK. You don't need to spend a fortune, either - my goggles cost £15 and never mist up. The main things are to keep your hat and face warmer well away from the ventilation holes, and to whisk your goggles completely off your head if you stop moving in warm weather.

Once they're misted, it's often hard to remedy the situation - so be careful.

[my first post in months. It's that time of year again Toofy Grin ]
ski holidays
I think the idea behind the washing up liquid or spitting on the lens is that it stops fine water droplets (which is what the 'mist' is) from sticking and forming on the lens. Or I could be getting confused with something totally different rolling eyes
snow report
mark_s wrote:
I think the idea behind the washing up liquid or spitting on the lens is that it stops fine water droplets (which is what the 'mist' is) from sticking and forming on the lens. Or I could be getting confused with something totally different rolling eyes

No, that's about it, it forms a layer that water droplets can't adhere to. Washing up liquid seems to work, things like shower gel or shampoo don't. I'd guess some light oils might work. I *think* this is close to the stuff Ian Hopkinson is into, he can might be able to give a answer we'd struggle to understand.
snow report
saxabar, Washing up liquid can work, however if the volume of water droplets is too high, there is the possibility of bubbles forming. Spit works well on diving masks, but then so does toothpaste, smeared on and wiped off with a tissue. Goggles lenses are delicate, so care is needed to avoid scratches. If your lenses keep fogging, take a look at the vents, you may be able to increase the airflow.
ski holidays
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2141634/naonotechnology-ends-foggy
ski holidays
saxabar, I used to have a problem with my goggles fogging up, so I bought myself some Dragon Goggles which were recommended as being one of the better brands for not fogging. Since I've been wearing them I haven't had any problems. Are yours a new pair or quiet old?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saxabar, The mist is condensation caused by water vapour in the air inside the goggles condensing on the cold lense.

Largely echoing stuff already stated, but a combination of:
* Double lenses. This attempts to get the lenses at a different tempetature, alleviates the sitatuoin.
* I've found the single best cure is to undo your jacket a a bit. When it's done right up to the neck, all the heat (read sweat vapour) from your body goes straight up into the venitlation holes on the bottom of your your goggles. Unless it's really cold undo your jacket to the point where your second button on a shirt would be.
* Don't put your goggles up onto a sweaty woolen hat or a sweaty head.
snow conditions
When you are wearing your goggles, make sure that the seal around the edge is in direct contact with your skin rather than a bit of hat, or a neck gaiter etc.

If your goggles do start to get fogged up, and are wet, take them to the nearest toilet and dry them thoroughly on the hand driers, it's ten minutes well spent IMO.

When I ski, my goggles almost never seem to fog up, to the extent that if my friends are having trouble, I tend to swap goggles with them until I've managed to clear theirs as well.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2141634/naonotechnology-ends-foggy

Interesting techno-blurb including... "..a polymer called polyallylamine hydrochloride.."

Try saying that after a few beers!
snow conditions
You can buy anti-mist spray/ cleaner. I've got some and it works, but it's buried in the attic with my ski kit, and I cant remember what its called!!

Otherwise what the others have said. Ensure good air flow through your goggles, dont breath into your collar/neck gaitor and most importantly (IMO) is once you've put them on dont mess around with them!!!
If they start to mist up get more air to flow through them either by turning your head into the wind on the chairlift or just ski fast for a while - always interesting when you cant see where you are going wink
snow report
Dave J, I have some called Fog Buster, will try it out this winter, as I have new shades with inserts. I don't have too many probs with my goggles steaming up snowHead
latest report
A while ago on here (can't be assed looking it up) I said my goggles didn't fog up. And someone accused me of not skiing hard enough Shocked .
snow report
maggi, well that's just ridiculous.
snow conditions
Cat Cr@p
snow report
saxabar wrote:
Look slick as.... but the gobbing idea seems to be the winner so far. I don't think my bank manager would be too pleased about me asking for an extra overdraft so I can buy new goggles! Shocked

Markw wrote:

Spitting on your mask in winter is gonna freeze it! lol Buy a quality pair of goggles like oakely Wisdom's or A frames I have had both for a long time now! They never ever ever fog up on me. Only clean them with the bag they came with to. Different cloth material to clean different lens materials. Spy Blizzards are very good as well. You wash the lens with any chemicals and there goes your anti fog immediately. Seriously never clean them with anything but the bag they come in! No need to wet them at all!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy