Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots with Walk Mode?????

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for the one ski set up for Chamonix... Basically the Marker Duke 16 is the ideal binding for climbing and skiing powder but can anyone advise a good touring boot that is 80/90% skiing? Basically I need a ski boot with a walk function.

I guess most of my skiing will be downhill but there will be a couple of days a week I want to skin up something. I also want to be in the position whilst up the mountain to be able to decide whether it's a day tour day and whipnout my skins or I'm just traversing for better snow..

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
all depends on fit, lots of great freeride tour boots out there Dynafit zeuss or titan, BD factor, most of the tourting boot manufacturers are making something as they all want a bit of the market, other stuff inc the atomic tracker, salomon quest, tecnica cochise works well too....but it depends on your feet
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are likely to do a lot of touring go for a dynafit tech insert compatible boot.
http://www.wildsnow.com/4304/dynafit-2011-12-boots/

I ended up with the Dynafit Titan (but it won't hurt my ego if you go for something else that better suits you).
http://www.wildsnow.com/1810/dynafit-titan-ski-boot-review/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baino, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy ditto on above I am in the Dynafit Titans and my lad swears by his Quest 12's and he is pretty much 90% downhill
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baino,

You can also stiffen up touring boots with another touring liner http://www.wildsnow.com/1570/intuition-ski-boot-liner/ , beefy straps (e.g. Booster straps) and in some cases another boot tongue.

One criticism of the Titan is that the shell overlaps but the stock liner doesn't. I put an intuition overlap liner in mine and it makes getting in and out easier.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Garmont Shogun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, I have Titans and have had to bin the liners as there is a stitch along the back that really gave me a lot of problems rubbing on my archilles.. imo a very dumb design with an overlap shell but not the liner as you point out but i guess Intuition liners are too expensive to put in ..

another gripe on the titans is the cuff alignment mechanism doesnt hold... but they are compromise boots ....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Baino, just use your downhill boots. You don't need walk mode to skin up or, for that matter, a short bit of walking.

I do week-long tours in downhill boots - albeit with an extra rockered rubber sole.

If you must buy new boots then I suggest you see a bootfitter and let him decide. We cannot see your feet over the internet.

You might want to see SZK at Sole bootlab in Cham:
http://www.facebook.com/SOLEbootlab
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

do week-long tours in downhill boots - albeit with an extra rockered rubber sole.

DIY or store bought ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/12032-Vibram-sole-on-an-Alpine-boot-%E2%80%93-DIY

SZK can do this too:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82444
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
DB, I have Titans and have had to bin the liners as there is a stitch along the back that really gave me a lot of problems rubbing on my archilles.. imo a very dumb design with an overlap shell but not the liner as you point out but i guess Intuition liners are too expensive to put in ..

Yes the Titan liner seems to be an afterthought or something picked out of bits bin that doesn't quite match. Scarpa put intuition liners in some of their touring boots though. I was lucky in that I remoulded the intution liners from my old boots but I'd rather pay approx €70 more for the boots and get a new intuition liner from day one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Altis, after completing the haute route in a pair of Black Diamond Quadrants I have no idea how you can do a week of touring in downhill boots but thanks for the suggestion. As for my feet well I was purely asking for ideas for stiff touring boots and what works for other people so I can reduce the quiver of skis and boots.
I would not go near Sole in Chamonix as I've had some awful dealings between myself and my friends with them over the years - poor fittings and exceptionally rude staff.

DB, thanks very much for all the info, I'll check out the Titans. I was also going to have a look at a pair of second hand Garmont Radiums and may be insert a better lining but the Titans sound like the boot.

Thanks to everyone else!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Baino,

Fits is the most important aspect, I made a short list and then went to a large ski resort with multiple shops and spent a day just trying on many different boots. I have very low volume (skinny feet) but your feet might be wider with more meat on them and another boot might be a better match for you. The Titan heel is also a small/tight fit that may cause you problems.

This thread might help
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83436&highlight=touring

The radium is a very good boot but felt to have more volume than the Titans - I doubt there is a massive difference in stiffness but not sure if they have dynafit tech fittings. (even if you use Markers dynafit fittings are useful for when you rent lighter skis for multi-day tours). If they fit your feet (do a shell check) they could be a fantastic bargin and solution with a new liner. You will however need to find someway of moulding the thermo liner. This can be done with a home oven but I'd advise you to get hold of some toe caps to use during the moulding process.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski Radiums and they're pretty ace. They do have Dynafit fittings. I'd replace the liner with one of the Intuition ones anyway as the stock one is pretty poo-poo IMO.

But as everyone says above fit is the most important thing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, thanks but the DIY route probably wouldnt be for me.

Baino, I should add that personally i dont feel the Dynafits are as stiff as they claim. No way the Titan is a 120 flex imo...

Quote:

I would not go near Sole in Chamonix as I've had some awful dealings between myself and my friends with them over the years - poor fittings and exceptionally rude staff.

That doesnt sound good .....
latest report
FWIW, have a look at the Tecnica Cochise with lightweight liner. Recently spent a week off piste in Chamonix with them, with little bit of hiking. Using them with a pair of DPS mounted with dukes. I'm Wide forefoot, high arch, narrow-heel foot shape.

Can easily switch between DIN and Vibram soles - had liner moulded as per intuition style and the shell heated and moulded slightly. Old footbeds in from my Diablos and away. I've heard opinions that the plastic will be too soft to last any length of time - all I know is that were comfy from the off, feel a bit more flexible than my old diablos (100- ish), but did a week in powder that had in Cham pre-xmas and worked great.

Walk mode is simple -pull out lock, click back in - so far mechanism feels robust. I do feel toes touching slightly, but walk mode definitely made it far easier to cover ground. I've never worn a touring boot - I wanted something that was 90 % biased downhill with option to do odd wander and so far it feels like Cochise is ideal. TGR has a lot more experienced opinons as to how they weigh up against the touring boots.

Also worth the Tecnica Diablo stalwarts out there having a look at them - as seem to fit in similar manner to Diablo.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

That doesnt sound good .....

Odd that they get pretty much rave reviews on here then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy