Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Time Calais to Arc 1800

Poster: A snowHead
HI All just a quick one average driving time down to arc 1800 in February, with only fuel stops any ideas thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
between 9 to 10 hours, depending on weather, queues and traffic and how many stops you do
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditto, going via Troyes, Dijon, Lyon etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How many drivers? You need to share if you're only stopping for fuel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yep ditto on the 9 to 10 hours bit, I have done it many times with just me driving, overnight Friday first lift Saturday morning Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really want to do this, Id love the take the Audi A8 Quattro Audi but the misses would rather fly Sad
One year I will win her round and we will take the car! Id rather have the car when I am there, and by the time you have got to the airport, got there 3 hours before, checked in flown collected your luggage and then transfered by coach I really cant see the benefit of flying over driving!

Let us know how you get on! what car would you be taking (I guess it makes the difference between a pleasent drive and a bit of a nightmare!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just me driving, which is fine as drove ischgl last year, driving out sunday morning should leave calais at 7am and power through in the Porsche cayenne ( power power in JC style voice ) ( and i get free fuel before anybody says thats going to cost youa few quid wink ) So 9-10 hours seems the average which is fine
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just pray it isn,t snowing when you go up to Arc 1800, Porsche Cayennes do not like the snow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bostin1978, You'll need one of these www.saneftolling.co.uk thats 15 mins off, plus the new Reims by pass another 15 mins off, fill up at Ashford drive at 140kph, fill up again at Chambery. 8 hours Very Happy

Fogliettaz, yep, and according to an episode of Top Gear off road tyres aren't available for them either!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, I saw one a couple of weeks ago stuck on the first hairpin on the Val/Tignes road, low profile tyres, no chains, snowing hard. It had caused quite a hold up!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You'll need one of these www.saneftolling.co.uk thats 15 mins off,

How does this save 15 minutes? There are 8 toll booths, if each booth takes on average 7.5 seconds to negotiate that makes 1 minute. What are you doing for the other 14?

Of course remeber that deisel is cheeper in France than the UK

John
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE, Mainly by not queing and now plenty of the telepeage barriers are drive through at 30kph so no queue and no need to stop at all.
Whilst if paying by cash queing taking a ticket etc takes a hell of a lot more than 7.5 seconds plus slowing, lining up, stopping doing the transaction then pulling away etc
If you want proof I have time charts going back 15 years or so ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In regards to flying vs driving, we reckon the difference door to door is only three hours quicker by flying.

If you factor in getting to the airport, check in flight, collect bags transfers/hire car.

Advantage driving as far as we are concerned is, far more flexibility, take more luggage,food,booze ect. Also with driving we can nick a couple of extra days skiing on your average week trip. If you factor in fuel and tolls and say a cheap overnight stop at a Formula 1 and get the free clubcard eurotunnel crossing, the cost for four adults driving down in our diesel Mondeo estate is less than 4 flights and transfer/hire car plus airport parking
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Whilst if paying by cash queing taking a ticket etc takes a hell of a lot more than 7.5 seconds plus slowing, lining up, stopping doing the transaction then pulling away etc

Sorry, I had not realised people still used cash. Normally there is no queue. On entry you just drive up to the barrier take a ticket and drive on. The game is to do this without the wheels actually stopping movenemt. On Exit you select the lane, often one of many, drive up to the machine, insert ticket, insert card, retrieve card and drive on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not to mention the excitement of it all! I love drive down almost as much as the holiday. leaving work early on the Friday, driving through the night then those wonderful first glimpses of snow topped mountains. stopping at service stations for a coffee surrounded by people in ski jackets, the ascent to resort. Wonderful. Four weeks to go!!!!!!
ski holidays
johnE,
Quote:

On Exit you select the lane, often one of many, drive up to the machine, insert ticket, insert card, retrieve card and drive on.

But try to avoid what my OH did when riding shotgun on last seasons family trip, inserted euro coin into card slot and jammed the machine up rolling eyes
latest report
rich38,

Agreed 100% 17 days to go woooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
snow report
johnE,
Quote:

Normally there is no queue

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You obviously don't go at New Year or February Half term wink
snow conditions
Then 5 weeks after for the next one Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, Now your boasting Twisted Evil
latest report
Boredsurfing,

Yup
snow conditions
Quote:

You obviously don't go at New Year or February Half term

I always go over New Year. This year the only queue was over 3 hours at the tunnel entrance. No queues at all on the rest of the route even though it was quite busy. I agree in the days before everyone started paying tolls using cards you did get some queues at toll booths but I think over the last 24 return trips over 8 years I have only seen one. - approaching Rheims one new year's day and that was 5 minutes.

John
snow conditions
bostin1978 wrote:
HI All just a quick one average driving time down to arc 1800 in February, with only fuel stops any ideas thanks

Check out www.viamichelin.com

Via :-
A6
A61 A8
Costs180.17 EUR
Toll 74.40 EUR | Petrol 105.77 EUR | Road tax 7.90 EUR
Time09h32 wich 08h01 on motorways
Distance1000 km wich 928 km on motorways
Allowance :- 19 traffic incidents on route

Ever thought of saving 200 Euros on a round-trip journey???? .............. ski in Austria, try the Vorarlberg.
latest report
johnE, Gosh! You are really lucky at 3.30pm on Monday 2nd Jan there was a huge queue at the Calais toll booths. The TP lane was empty. I avoided the 3 hour queue to get passport checked by going through Calais centre and then to the tunnel through Coquelles, but still lined up for an hour Sad
snow report
Thanks for the tip about cutting through Calais centre. Apart from pretty nasty weather all the way to Bourg en Bresse it was an easy run that day - till we got to the tunnel. It was the Eurotunnel checkin that delayed us. Passport control was flowing fine.
ski holidays
Neil, get the missus to drive - its about 10 hrs as folks have said. Your argument is quite sound, doorstep to doorstep there can't be much in it, plus you have the flexibility to take what you want gear, booze and food wise.
ski holidays
[quote="Boredsurfing"]bostin1978, You'll need one of these www.saneftolling.co.uk thats 15 mins off, plus the new Reims by pass another 15 mins off, fill up at Ashford drive at 140kph, fill up again at Chambery. 8 hours Very Happy

Spooky enough it turned up in the post today..... now got to make sure i stick it in the right place
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
johnE, Mainly by not queing and now plenty of the telepeage barriers are drive through at 30kph so no queue and no need to stop at all.
If you want proof I have time charts going back 15 years or so ..... Toofy Grin

LOL Could i see these time charts please, make for great entertainment
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have my Sanef doofer all ready for Saturday Cool
snow report
Neil wrote:
I really want to do this, Id love the take the Audi A8 Quattro Audi but the misses would rather fly

Nice car but not the best on mountain roads in snow, if it has normal summer tyres on. I used one for 3 seasons and had plenty of chain use until I put winter tyres on. After that no problem in getting around. The replacement Subaru if far better. The A8 is unbeatable for the motorway driving though.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

Enjoy whizzing past all those queues Very Happy and the 30kph gates are the best! Very Happy
But don't forget the first gate at Calais takes an extra couple of seconds to acknowledge your doofer Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Boris wrote:

Enjoy whizzing past all those queues Very Happy and the 30kph gates are the best! Very Happy
But don't forget the first gate at Calais takes an extra couple of seconds to acknowledge your doofer Toofy Grin

How do you know if its a 30kph gate before i take it out and not stop in time......
snow report
bostin1978, it will have a round "30" sign above the peage lane. Fairly obvious. One word of caution, when you've been driving along at 130kph 30kph feels very slow and for me it's always a nervous moment between the beep from the doofer and the barrier actually popping up!
snow report
boredsurfin, I don't think I will be able to use the quick gates with Sharan and roofbox
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
bostin1978, it will have a round "30" sign above the peage lane. Fairly obvious. One word of caution, when you've been driving along at 130kph 30kph feels very slow and for me it's always a nervous moment between the beep from the doofer and the barrier actually popping up!

Did wonder about that before i went through in a smokey and the bandit style........
snow report
18 hours from Glasgow last season in January 1 driver and using euro tunnel a hard shift the season before same route 21 hours traffic was stop go from Lyon
snow report
Hi used a toll roll tag saves a bit of time and worth it your other half sleeps on the way down, i did stevneage to meribel in 10 and a half hours the other week one driver, would have been quicker in hadnt just missed the earlier train. driving is very marginal in terms of time over flying but worth it for the hassle factor, sit in nice warm car no airport chaos, etc etc contemplating driving down for the weekend leave friday after work ski sat sunday back for monday. I get free fuel so just tolls split 4 ways and one nights hotel. anyone else tried this?
ski holidays
Quote:

anyone else tried this?

sorry, anyone else tried what?
latest report
drving to the alps for just 2 days are you two nackered to drive back?
snow report
mikekimber24, ah sorry, a bit dopey tonight. If you have free fuel and four drivers, and enjoy travelling, it should be OK. Probably not get too much work done on Monday though. I am a sole driver on our trips to the Alps and wouldn't drive overnight two nights out of three on my own. Would do it sharing, though, if the snow looked good!

Might be hard to get a hotel in resort for a Saturday night. Might need to stay somewhere like Sallanches, with easy access to the slopes. You'd need to "ski from the car" on Saturday and "ski to the car" on Sunday, though. Might be a bit smelly in work on Monday. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy