Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this local authority advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Since this advice was posted by the pisteurs and they are the authority on safety in a resort. Would you consider this 'local authority advice' as quoted by many Insurance companies. In which case, if you do not follow this advice and carry the equipment mentioned would your Insurance still be valid. Discuss!!!!

I asked those with me the day we saw this sign in La Plagne and they thought it was 'local aurthoity advice' as mentioned in their policy wording. What do others think?

You will now see similar signs in Les Arcs, Val d'Isere/Tignes and the Three Valleys. If you disregard this advice and ski off piste without the basic safety equipment the French at least seem to be taking a very dim view of this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess if you want to ensure pay out then you need to have some sort of dates photograph of one of these boards or perhaps a recorded conversation with a pisteur to prove that you sought the advide and complied with it. Question is if a fall and hurt myself what relevance is the bleeper and shovel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Truth be told, if you do proper off piste skiing and don't carry anti-avalanche kit then you are a numpty.

Layne the relevance of a transponder, spade and shovel is that they might safe your life in the event of avalanche, so more to do with death than injury.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hehe looks like we are supposed to carry beer and jelly! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
airbornebadger, sure I understand that. But let's take a scenarios.

The ava risk is 3. I don't have the kit. But I am skiing very safe and accessible off piste. A fall over and injure myself. Should the insurance pay out? Would it have made any difference if I had a bleeper and shovel.

Quote:
Truth be told, if you do proper off piste skiing and don't carry anti-avalanche kit then you are a numpty.

Depends what you mean by off piste. Reality is there a lot of off piste that represent minimal danger in terms of avalanche risk. Go to any ski resort and you will see dozens of people dabbling. On the last trip we skied under the Bijolin chair lift out of Les Coches 4 or 5 times on a powder day without kit. The ava risk was probably even 4. Ava kit would have been totally unnecessary.

I got insurance this year from "Snowcard" who seem to be one of the clearest about what they cover. I went for "Max Adventure" IIRC because they cover the exact scenario above.

I just don't believe you can be prescriptive about 'local aurthoity advice', wearing ava kit, etc. Most peoples early experiences of skiing "off piste" is to dabble with kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy