Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this a bad year to own a private catered chalet?

Poster: A snowHead
Emails keep dropping into my inbox from independent chalet owners showing almost 100% availability for the coming season. Is it a rotten year to be an independent? (The big TOs seem to be selling all their availability, no doubt much of it heavily reduced from the brochure price, but I presume they expect this in their costings.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last, Just booked a catered chalet last friday. I had been searching for about 10 days and the prices kept on tumbling. The availability is quite odd though like you said. The chalet im in was originally £650 catered, ive got it down to £450, including a transfer in Reberty 2000 just outside Les Menuires. Cant wait to go now. Im sure that if i had held on another 2 weeks, then i would have got something even cheaper, but ive always wanted to go to Three Valleys so couldnt miss such a great deal. If you know where to look, you will get some right bargains!!! To answer your original question, i think people will still go skiing, but find cheaper accomodation that a chalet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, I think all this horrible snow is putting people off going skiing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you know where to look, you will get some right bargains!!!

Where do I look? Smile Planning to go w/e 21/22 Jan
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Independents here: http://www.chaletsdirect.co.uk/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1

Big TOs (and small TOs and chalet-only deals too) www.alpineanswers.co.uk £400 incl flights with Ski olympic to La Rosiere

http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/deals/search?name=&date=8&departure_day=&quality=&size=&with_flights=1&exclusive_use=on&sort=sale_price_asc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kioksor wrote:
Quote:

If you know where to look, you will get some right bargains!!!

Where do I look? Smile Planning to go w/e 21/22 Jan

Message on its way to you!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slow start for us, but looking decent now! I think the poor snow last year plus the late arrival of the snow this year put a lot of people off booking early and it's now starting to pick-up.

kioskor, drop me a PM if you fancy Sainte Foy - we do have one or two spaces left for that week!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know where I can find a chalet to lease as a business in Tignes season by season?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alwat99, Welcome to snowHeads
Here you go
http://www.natives.co.uk/skicompanies4sale/index.htm
http://www.skibarforsale.com/description.htm
http://france.businessesforsale.com/french/search/Businesses-for-sale-in-Savoie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks I'll take a look but I think i've tried these before. Definately worth another look
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alwat99, welcome to snowheads.. are you 100% fixed on Tignes?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OP Yes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last wrote:
Independents here: http://www.chaletsdirect.co.uk/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1

meant to say thanks for this tip. I ended up posting and booking a chalet within 48 hours of first seeing that link.

After 7-8 years of multiple snow holidays per season this will be my first chalet holiday since my very first ski holiday. Looking forward to the change of scene from self catering or hotels.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
Emails keep dropping into my inbox from independent chalet owners showing almost 100% availability for the coming season. Is it a rotten year to be an independent? (The big TOs seem to be selling all their availability, no doubt much of it heavily reduced from the brochure price, but I presume they expect this in their costings.)

No apart from a few days in the middle of March, been fully booked all winter since the 3rd week of December. Now the gondolas are staying open until the 22nd of april, I may evn manage a cheeeky last holiday myself. see here www.kirchberg.co.uk
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I look after large chalet in centre of Champery, 4 doubles and three twins etc and high end type chalet. Have only had one booking this season! It's available rest of the season and half term! Crazy season as last few years we have been booked for about 6 weeks of the season! Guessing people were unsure after last winter and he current financial climate has made Switzerland quite expensive. Admittedly this is not a caters chalet but supermarkets 2 mins away and restaurants!!!
snow report
jafa, but you don't own a private catered chalet....
latest report
One thing that has made a huge impact is the lack of 'cheap' flights from the no-frills airlines.
I know the bubble had to burst at some point but the larger flight costs in combination of the heavily get-us-out-of-trouble discounted TO prices are just cutting me(us?) out of the UK market.

However, the Russians, romanians and Ukranians are really starting to slowly replace the British market and have very similar wants and needs and expectations.... I think this is now the trend.
snow report
The real problem is that property in ski resorts is very overpriced and to service the debt the owner of the chalet has had to previousley charge a small fortune for their property.Throw employees wages etc. into the mix and it is a very high price they have to charge.
I was thinking of buying in the Alpes but the number just didn't add up so my money is going elsewhere.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
One thing that has made a huge impact is the lack of 'cheap' flights from the no-frills airlines.

not in my experience. I've booked 4 trips this winter with easyjet return. For 3 of them, the return price (including snowboard check in) has been no more than £90. I think that's pretty good.
latest report
I thought that small operators might be squeezed this season, given that the banks are subsidising the large tour operators by lending ever increasing short term/medium term overdrafts.

It is ever so unfair, because the banks will also not lend to the small operators, putting them out of business.

This is somewhat similar to what the government does when it bails out large banks, and lets small ones go bankrupt.

Very anti-competitive!

rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy