Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High-End Piste Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I haven't skied a proper piste ski for probably 10 years now as I've been skiing twins. I'm going to be doing my BASI level 2 this season and thought it sensible to get a pair of skis. However I have no real idea where to start....

I'm 23, 11.5 stone and 180cm, a fairly aggressive skier done 40+ weeks and I've been told by an instructor friend (Level 3 doing Level 4 Tech in a few weeks) that I'm at the level for my level 2. But obviously I want to be above the level required. I really want a ski that can go fast but mainly something that will be good for shorts and bumps.
I'm hoping to continue up the BASI ladder so want something that I can use for my level 3 tech etc.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Head Supershapes especially the Titans, but I'm not sure if I want them to be on a ski that wide as I'll only really be using them off piste for variables during the Level 2. My friend is on the Worldcup i.Speeds
so I'll try to get a go on them soon.

I was wondering whether there were any other similar skis I should be looking at? Should I look at getting some detuned slalom skis perhaps?
Also what kind of length would be best for me, all my twins are over 180cm so i was thinking 175ish?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 9-01-12 17:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pete88, fwiw, I had a demo on some Titan's and if I was going to buy a piste orientated ski, they'd be my choice. Thought they were great. Powerful, smooth, but snappy when you want them to be. Really fire you out of the turn. Nice and nimble as well though, well, compared to my Hardsides.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Titans are a popular ski on BASI courses, with candidates and Trainers at L2 and L3 but not so much at L4 (it's the ski I use for my BASI courses and most of the time for teaching on when I'm in the Alps). From what I've seen there are few BASI candidates skiing on anything much wider than the Titans, but a fair number will be on narrower skis, with a good number of race department GS or 'cheater' GS skis at L3 and L4.

I don't think it is necessary to use a RD ski for L2 or L3 as it's perfectly possible to reach the piste performance level required on something like the Titan.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about the Head Magnums, narrower version of the Titans but still wider than a race stock ski? Or the Atomic Double deck 75s?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pete88, Passed my 2 just before Christmas; Rough summary on skis used (21 people)

Loads on Salomon 24 hours; the more able said they were a little soft.
one on Titans
One on Magnums
one of Salomon Xwing Tornado
Couple on twin tips
fair number on an assortment of piste oriented skis at around 75 under foot
Couple on various detuned SL skis such as the Atomic ST
Me on Atomic Race department SL skis!

My advice wold be to find something you can do longs/shorts/bumps on and then practice your central theme on them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had quite a long discussion with a BASI Trainer a couple of days ago about skis. One of the points he made was that he gets frustrated by people thinking that race department skis are either necessary or going to help them pass their L2 and L3. His observation is that people typically fail their L2 and L3 because of their bumps and variable skiing and so should aim to be on skis that help those aspects of their skiing, rather than on skis that benefit shorts and longs.

Interestingly, he also mentioned that twin tips weren't (generally) as frowned on as they were, with people even starting to do L4 techs on them.

Pete88 wrote:
I'm not sure if I want them to be on a ski that wide as I'll only really be using them off piste for variables during the Level 2

Pete88, each to their own, but I find that statement a bit curious. Personally, I'd aim to buy a ski that will take you through L2 and L3 and get used to skiing it extensively in between. IMV there's little point skiing on something that makes you feel like an off-piste god, only to find that you can't reproduce the same performance on something more suitable for a BASI course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scooby_simon wrote:
My advice wold be to find something you can do longs/shorts/bumps on and then practice your central theme on them!

My advice would be to loosen the top buckles of your boots when you're doing your CT demos. I makes it a hell of a lot easier to demonstrate flexion and extension. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:

My advice would be to loosen the top buckles of your boots when you're doing your CT demos. I makes it a hell of a lot easier to demonstrate flexion and extension. Toofy Grin

Find the buckles you are happy to undo......

using the toe clip is 1 and the top one 4; I undo 2 and 3 for CT Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A better way of putting it scooby_simon. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, that helps a lot.

FlyingStantoni, I know exactly what you mean and completely agree with you. I was going to add something along those lines in but thought my post was long enough already! I have been doing just that on my park skis with my friend who was on his i.speeds.
I just meant that off-piste performance is not my primary concern as I feel my variable skiing is good.

Thanks glp9, i had looked at them but read several reviews where the tester found the titans a better ski all over the mountain than the magnums. I'll have a look into the Atomics.

Any advice on length? Is 175cm the right kind of length to be looking at?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found the best ski for L2 was a cheater SL ski...the best ski around to demo longs and shorts at moderate speeds, not too stiff and short enough to be fine in the bumps, and doable for the CT. IMHO easier in the bumps than a GS ski and easier to demo at moderate speeds, and better piste performance than the titan/magnum types. On my L2, variables were only an afterthought, the focus was very much on the s and L-rads. Apparently many of the candidates for l3 were turning up on these as well, until a year or 2 ago they decided to introduce a min radius recommendation (which does not apply anyway to l2). So, make life easy for yourself and go for a SL ski!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pete88, I had a set of the Titans last winter and also a Volkl Tigershark 10ft. I found overall that the Volkls (73 underfoot) suited my piste skiing better. It's horses for courses, the Titan will be better all over the mountain but something that little bit narrower may suit the piste demos better. Saying all of that my friend passed his CSIA 3 ski and APSI 3 on the Titans so I think as long as you have the ski long enough before the test and put the hours in getting used to it you'll be fine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
glp9 wrote:
Pete88, .....so I think as long as you have the ski long enough before the test and put the hours in getting used to it you'll be fine.

The most important advice. practice on the skis you will be using. I spent a month teaching on mine before I went away for my 2.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy