Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Suggested itinerary

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone. We are a group of 5 skiers arriving in Val Thorens next week. We have never been to the three valleys. We are in pretty good shape, will ski blues and red mostly and the occasional black.
We want to make the most of our stay and obviously will not be able to cover all pistes - it would be very much appreciated if you could post some suggested itineraries for the week, that will allow us a "taste of the best piste" - we are more focused on enjoying the pistes than on fine dining so take that into account.

Thank you very much in advance!

http://www.courchevel.com/img/plans/plan_pistes3v.pdf
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would spend a morning exploring the Masse area on the other side of the valley to Les Menuires. Should be relatively easy to get to form Val Thorens (but avoid bd cumin as it is very flat and dull). Has a great mix of blues and reds, and the blacks aren't too hard either depending on the snow. Usually quite quiet as it is perceived as hard to get to, but one of the best parts of the area.

Jerusalem down to St Martin du Belleville is great; you'll want to do this one a few times with a big smile on your face.

Combe du Vallon is not to be missed either.

Those are the ones that immediately spring to mind in that part of the 3V, but there are lots of other great runs too. I'm sure other people will have other suggestions.

I think the lift company has some recommended itineraries if you want a route to follow. Look on the sevabel website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a useful document somewhere on the web entitled "internediate skiing in the 3V" or similar and we found it really useful the first time we went. I found it again a couple of weeks back, but can't seem to find it now! If I do manage to find it, I shall report back Smile

There is some stuff on the Meribel unplugged site

http://www.meribel-unplugged.co.uk/meribel/skiing/guide/intermediates.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there is lots of info here

http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/sguide.htm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd pick a piste (or area) du jour, then spend the day focusing on getting to it and back, which is half the fun of the 3V. Le Masse area should take up at least half a day if not more. Col/moraine/christine in VT are crackers. Jerusalem obv. Mont vallon has two of the best in the whole area. In Meribel, Mauduit top to bottom is an excellent fast cruise, renard + blanchot down to altiport also good. In courchevel, creux & combe saulire are must do's, and stand multiple laps. Lunch at Bouch Blanc then same red run down to La Tania (you can also cut across to Meribel from there via Col de la Loze). Acces 1650 side via creux and chanrossa chair and go top to borttom via any number of routes, but be sure to do chapelets (far left of map) if you can. That will challenge your stamina and map reading from VT, but it's a very rewarding ski safari if you can.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sgebay, It sounds like you're all about the same ability level as myself about 2 years ago, when I visited 3V. Although I was staying in the Meribel valley, if you do venture across to it, my personal favourite red runs were Lac de la chambre, Mouflon, Aigle and Mauduit; and the Gelinotte and Pic blue runs were also good fun. I also agree with kieranm, that the Combe du Vallon is a must. Hope you all have a great time Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sgebay, To get some idea of the extent of the three valleys, make your way over to Signal at Courchevel 1650 one day. To do this, take the lifts on the Plein Sud side of ValTho, ski down to Plan des Mains via Lac de la Chambre or Venturon (both great reds). Maybe take a moment out to take the Mont Vallon lift and ski Combe Vallon (another great red). Up Plan des Mains, and down Sitelle to Mottaret, then take Pas de Lac to the Saulire. Ski Creux (yet another great red) as far as the Chanrossa chair, then take this then ski roc merlet (red), then one of the several blues down towards Bel Air.

Then, stop for an early morning coffee wink at the snack bar under the Bel Air resto, then ski Rochers to the bottom of the Signal chairlift. You are then about as far East as you can get in the three valleys.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.... and about 9 miles as the crow flies from ValTho. From top of Signal, take Arondiaz or Grandes Bosses (both blues), floowing signs towards Courch 1850. Take Aiguille de Fruit Chair if you fancy a black run now, or Gravelles chair (right next to it) if you don't.

Assuming you take the former, ski Suisses (black), or M (black) and head towards Verdons an the bottom of the Saulire Cable Car. Take this, and check out the couloirs on the way up. From the top, take the Combe Saulire red, without stopping, all the way back down, past the Verdons mid-station, down to the Coqs and Biollay chairlifts. Legs aching yet?

Take coqs, then col de la loze then choose whether you want a blue trail (blvd de la Loze), tougher blue (pic blue, renamed this year from pic noir), or a black (Tetras). The latter two will take you to the Méribel altiport area....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
.... where there isn't much of interest except for beginners. Ski down Blanchot and Lapin if you want to give your legs a rest, to Méribel Village. Cross the roundabout at the bottom, to the boulangerie for a slice of pizza for lunch, then take Golf, Altiport and Dent de Bergin chairs in succession, then Biche/Chamois/Maudit without stopping all the way down to Méribel.

Then Plan de l'Homme chair, go left at the top, ski down to Tougnette II, take it, then straight on at the top towards St Martin, and take Jerusalem, at least to the mid station

Then St Martin 2 chair, Gros Tougne (blue), Granges chair, Allemands (red), into Les Menuires. Then spend an hour or 2 exploring La Masse, before heading back up to ValTho, for early afternoon tea and cakes

*Warning... timings may be optimistic Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sgebay,

Your going to have a very good time. I'd argue that at your level of skiing, 3V might be the best place in the world.

You've had some good suggestions already. I categorise some key runs like this, aim for them then ski the areas around them:

Very well known for a reason:

Combe de Vallon, Red (head of the Meribel Valley) - I think this might be my favourite piste anywhere - long, varied and generally has the best snow in the 3V.

Cime de Carron, Black (high point above VT) - not a difficult black, excellent snow, spectacular views

Combe de Saulire/ Coqs, Red (big routes down from the Saulire above Courchevel 1850) - very wide/long runs, can be busy but roomy enough

Slightly off the beaten track:

Jerusalem, Red (above St Martin) - just really lovely, plenty of easy off-piste if you fancy a go, St Martin is gorgeous and a good place for lunch

A trip to Courchevel 1650 - all the reds and blues above 1650 are very nice and tend to be quiet, more sensible restaurant prices than 1850 (not saying very much!)

La Tania - big red (can't remember the name) above La Tania - generally not too busy

La Masse area is good too. The itinery is a nice trip and should be well within your abilities.

A little more difficult but well worth doing if the snow is good are the two blacks down to Le Praz
- Jockeys and Jean Blanc - in the trees so a good option in poor vis.

Enjoy!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The classic run down to La Tania is Folyeres, which I think is a blue, but quite a challenging one. It is a fabulous swoop through the trees with the Ski Lodge waiting for you at the bottom, which used to be good value (by 3V standards, of course).

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow! What wonderful tips! Many thanks to all for taking the time to post these, especially Patch for the detailed route planning and jedster for the highlights. All this is getting my hyped!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, may I also add my thanks to Patch, I'm heading to Courchevel 1850 in a couple of weeks and these suggestions for that particular valley have given me some great food for thought!

Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have a few to download on my site www.skimottaret.com under info/downloads
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ - highly recommended!
snow conditions
> i have a few to download on my site www.skimottaret.com under info/downloads

Those are very handy; thanks for posting (and hosting) those.

Couple of quick questions/corrections:

- BD Cumin is now a blue, not a red. I've never understood how this could ever have been a red, being very flat. Perhaps it is all the pushing that would have made it so.

- You mention in the intermediates section runs from Mauriennaise down to Orelle. Is that off-piste? The text implies its pisted, but perhaps I'm reading between the lines wrongly.
latest report
One more question - can you note some "confidence building" blacks to try out and what time of day is best to ski them? Thanks.
ski holidays
Sgebay wrote:
One more question - can you note some "confidence building" blacks to try out and what time of day is best to ski them? Thanks.

Really depends on what's been groomed. As a general rule, in the 3 Vallees they aim to groom 20% of all blacks each night, meaning that an average black will get groomed once every 5 days. For confidence building, find one that was just pisted. Look out for Face, Bosses, in Meribel for example. Bartavalle is often mogulled, as is Tetras
snow report
I suggest the Orelle valley. there are only 3 or 4 runs but we would regularly make the 1hr30 trip from Meribel to visit the 4th valley. Can spend a whole day there just playing around.
snow conditions
Ski into the 4th valley from the top of Caron - black run but not too difficult. It was in great condition when we were there a couple of weeks ago.
Also look at the piste map where there are green markers. These are 16 points round the valleys which if you clock round all of them will give you a 3 valleys expert certificate from the main lift pass offices. The lift office know where you have been with your pass. You should manage them easily in 1 week. We tried to do them all in a day and needed 3 hours the next day to complete - but we have been skiing 3V for over 20 years so think we know our way around. Its great fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy