Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What odds on a desert nation achieving a World Cup podium next year? Part2

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch wrote:

Perhaps WC ski racing should organise a little like F1 racing, with the equipment companies forming teams? Although we'd need a few more large ones, rather than the existing quasi-cartel. And no interference from Ecclestone-like magnates.

To get back to the original subject, this is a good idea that has been kicked around for decades - I believe it was part of Bill Johnson's proposals for a breakaway circuit in 1985. But it would make it even harder for racers from non-Alpine nations to break through.
Yes, national fervour can be fun and we all get into the mass hysteria when our nation is playing a team sport, or our individuals are at the Olympics. I would be the first to admit that as an athlete I certainly exploited those emotions for my own motivational needs.
But I think deep down we all know that the idea of nation-states is a concept which will be out-of-date one day soon. Issues like global warming, and the oil beginning to run out, are showing us that the Earth is quite a small place after all, and we're all in it together.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By the way, big compliments to www.ski2b.com , an excellent site run by a great guy Martin Fiala (born in Czechoslovakia, raced for Germany, by the way!) who I got to know on the World Cup and Jeep King of the Mountain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Bell wrote:
But I think deep down we all know that the idea of nation-states is a concept which will be out-of-date one day soon. Issues like global warming, and the oil beginning to run out, are showing us that the Earth is quite a small place after all, and we're all in it together.

How true.
In the meantime FIS still has rules on its books, as far as I know, such as a dual national being under the obligation to ski for the country where he is resident? Yet racers seem to be able to up sticks and change nationality as in this case, go and ski for another country irrespective of where they have been living? Am I missing something?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The FIS rules are downloadable from their website, but I can't access them from the computer I'm on at the moment. Maybe someone could have a look and extract the current nationality regulations:
http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/rulesandpublications.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The rule is as I said above:
Quote:
203.5.2 Competitors who have more than one nationality are only allowed to compete for the National Ski Association in which they have their permanent place of residence.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No sure what "permanent" means. If the FIS don't define it, then presumably they accept that it's the main place of residence a competitor returns to when not on the competition circuit. If that's Dubai, Albrecht's entitled to race for them if awarded the second nationality there.

Does anyone wear lederhosen in Dubai?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:

Does anyone wear lederhosen in Dubai?

It's been known to happen for Germanic style beer festivals with wurst and ooompah bands. But they're not the most practical garment for 100C and 100% humidity rolling eyes

If Albrecht is working legally in Dubai then he will have a residence permit stamped in his Austrian passport which could presumably be used to verify a 'main place of residence'. If, however, he becomes a UAE National with a new UAE passport then he won't have any residence permits or work visas cluttering that one. I couldn't find anything on the possibilities of dual nationality in the UAE with 2 different passports. I know the Saudis take a very dim view of multiple passports - even if they are issued by the same country for the same person.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Main place of residence between the UK and France for tax purposes, if I remember correctly, is defined by where you spend 6 months and 1 day of the year. In theory.

Non-alpine country racers have to base themselves away from home in the mountains not only during the race season, maybe five months of the year, but also for large chunks of the rest of the year for training purposes.

Maybe this rule only affects who has first call on a racer's services in the case of dispute. If Alpine country A doesn't select the racer for the national team, I doubt there would be any problem in him/her racing for country B instead.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure why the Austrians are getting so excited about Kilian Albrecht deciding to continue his career skiing for another country when the Austrians themselves no longer want him in their team! Am I failing to understand something here? We have seen Austrian skiers do this on a number of occasions in the past, not least Marc Girardelli, who left Austria under much more contentious circumstances than Albrecht is doing. As far as I recall it was down to his father's conflict with the Austrian trainers. For Girardelli it was certainly the right thing to do. For others, like Pepi Strobl, who skied for Slovenia in the last season, it seems to have been an act of desperation.
The competition for places inside the Austrian team is so intense that we often see world class skiers, who in any other nation would be assured a place in the team, simply left out in the cold. What are they supposed to do? Simply accept that state of affairs and go back to farming?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Lawrie, seems strange - back in May he'd been told his services were no longer required as I understand it. Naturally he then looked at other options, and the opportunity to take Dubai citizenship came up, with his involvement in the Ski Dubai project and Ski CLub.

Suddenly reports emerge in the press on Sept 1st, a month before the first WC races, that the Austrian Fed wants him after all, and will give him two confirmed WC starts. Hence Albrecht's press release response on Sept 2nd.

The Austrian squad had suffered a few injuries during summer training, but not in the men's slalom team as far as I know.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy