Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck - Weekend Plans - Some Assistance Required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Am hoping to make a trip to Innsbruck the weekend after next. Current plan is as follows:

Train from Munich (non-negotiable as am there for work) on Friday PM.

Stay Innsbruck Fri & Sat night

Ski Axamer on Saturday

Ski Nordkette on Sunday morning

Fly out on the Easyjet flight at c.16.00 back to UK.

My questions are:

1. Any hotel suggestions – a search on here came up with Binders, Ibis & Golden Krone. Any others – requirements are central to train station & ease to get bus to mountains on Sat & Sunday.
2. Ski places – want convenient, and enough for a day. Are my thoughts of Axamer for a full day on Saturday, and Nordkette (which I like as its supposed to be steep – is this true!) for half a day on the Sunday sensible? Any other thoughts/suggestions?
3. Ski Hire – I have skis, but was thinking of hiring or, better still, demoing on the weekend. Any suggestions – would like to try some skis with rocker seeing as just a weekend. Would need to collect skis early on Saturday & drop off Sunday, so prefer hire shop near the hotel as will need to pass back through on way to airport to collect luggage
4. Dinner/Drinking – as I’ll be on my own, any suggestions of where I could turn up for a beer on my own and not feel awkward, or better still, meet people?! Same for dinner – any reasonably priced places?
5. Airport connection – how does one get from Innsbruck to the airport?
6. Flights – from what I can find the Easyjet at c. 4pm is the latest direct flight out of Innsbruck back to the UK – any other suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fleecy, I too stayed in Innsbruck for a few days. Didn't try the Nordkette but we did go to Axamer. It was ok but felt rather isolated ( even though so close to Innsbruck ) and lacked Atmosphere. I loved the Stubai Glacier, about an hour away on the bus and would definitely go back there. GreAt runs and scenery and a nice Schirmbar with europop.

We stAyed at the Hotel Central - ok. There was a big Intersport nearby where you cN hire skis.

Re eating best place we found was an Indian! The sahib I think. good food and v friendly owner
-
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Axamer will be cool for a day, but there isn't really anything to do other than skiing. Nordkette is all about the offpiste - the 1.5 pistes are lame. However the marked/avi protected offpiste routes are ace, including two good steep couloirs. The very top entrance of the one under the cable car is a great way to get your heart pumping - even most of the locals drop in further down and enter from the side. Be aware, if snow conditions stay as they are now, these upper mountain slopes may well be closed though - the snow is MENTAL atm. Be prepared to be truly humbled by the standard of skiers there on a powder day. Most would not be out of place in a Matchstick Productions film - get there before the lifts open if there's fresh about, otherwise it'll be tracked by the time you get up. Also the best way to get to Nordkette is with the funicular train form the city centre, rather than the bus.

Sorry I don't know anything about hotels and places to hire kit. There's plenty of good drinking spots - the 'not very Irish' Irish bar on the main square (Limerick Bill's I think) is pretty friendly. As for restaurants, just walk around the old town, plenty to choose from.

Unfortunately I'll be doing exams back in Scotland that weekend, otherwise I could have shown you around a bit. Have fun, it's a great city!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The train from Munich is quick and easy.

I've stayed at the Golden Krone. It was fine, if a bit worn. If you got a good price, do it. It's very central, close to the train station and the main square. There's a very good bar (or at least there was 6 years ago) right on the main square. Can't remember the name, but not the Irish bar. There was lots of wood, split level.

I rented skis somewhere between the hotel and the closest bus stop. Again, don't remember the name, but it was easy.

Axamer Lizum is great for a day. If you're staying in Innsbruck, the lack of atmosphere and nightlife is completely irrelevent. It's also a much shorter bus ride than Stubai (which I honestly did not find that great). I haven't skied Nordkette as it was closed when I was there, but it certainly has a burly reputation.

If you want a bit of adventure, and you're looking for off-piste skiing, don't overlook the Karwendelbahn in Mittenwald, Germany.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're going on 21-22 Jan, note that that is the end of the Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, so hotels may be busy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fleecy wrote:
Hi All

Am hoping to make a trip to Innsbruck the weekend after next. Current plan is as follows:
Ski Axamer on Saturday

My questions are:
1. Any hotel suggestions – a search on here came up with Binders, Ibis & Golden Krone. Any others – requirements are central to train station & ease to get bus to mountains on Sat & Sunday.
2. Ski places – want convenient, and enough for a day. Are my thoughts of Axamer for a full day on Saturday, and Nordkette (which I like as its supposed to be steep – is this true!) for half a day on the Sunday sensible? Any other thoughts/suggestions?
3. Ski Hire – I have skis, but was thinking of hiring or, better still, demoing on the weekend. Any suggestions – would like to try some skis with rocker seeing as just a weekend. Would need to collect skis early on Saturday & drop off Sunday, so prefer hire shop near the hotel as will need to pass back through on way to airport to collect luggage
4. Dinner/Drinking – as I’ll be on my own, any suggestions of where I could turn up for a beer on my own and not feel awkward, or better still, meet people?! Same for dinner – any reasonably priced places?
6. Flights – from what I can find the Easyjet at c. 4pm is the latest direct flight out of Innsbruck back to the UK – any other suggestions?
Thanks in Advance!

Hi - I've been to Innsbruck tons in recent seasons (well 5 times to be precise) - it's pretty much become my favourite skiing destination (will return in Feb).
I always stay at the 15th century Weisses Kreuz. You can get single rooms for 40 Euros including a delicious breakfast.
It's a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the Nordkette funicular (and a 4 minute walk from the bus stop where free buses take you to about 6 local resorts). The lower Nordkette pistes there are limited but great fun to ski on, especially with the fantastic views of the city. The higher stuff is a huge challenge - I think they're effectively unpisted 'ski routes' but not 100% sure.
Axamer's a little bleak but there's good skiing to be had especially if the link to Mutters is open (where you can catch a 30 minute tram back to within a very short walk of the hotel).
Stubai is ok if you like vast open bowls (I don't much) although the long ski route to the bottom is great fun - you get a real sense of adventure.
My favourite local place is Schlick 2000, the skiing area above Fulpmes. You can take the free bus or the tram. Tram's a bit slower (60 mins) but is a really enjoyable journey, and it's a 12 minute uphill walk from the Fulpmes tram stop to the gondola. The skiing isn't particularly challenging but the scenery is breathtaking - feels like you;re tucked away in a hidden valley next to some of the finest and most jagged peaks in the Alps.
Patscherkofel is also worth a visit especially if you like antiquated features such as one-man chair lifts. Think it's the closest resort to the airport so good for the last day (although Nordkette would be fine too).
It's very easy to travel from the airport to the city centre by bus. Takes about 15 mins, costs around 3 Euros, and runs every 20 mins. It certainly beats a 4 hour coach transfer from Lyon Airport!
Bit of a brain dump but I hope that's useful.
Oh, there's a nice bar just next to the Golden Roof where you'll be fine having a solo drink. The bars have more of a student and local vibe than a ski resort, and the bar/restaurant prices are much lower than at the big Austrian resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fleecy wrote:
Hi All

Ski Axamer on Saturday

My questions are:

Thanks in Advance!

Hi - I've been to Innsbruck tons in recent seasons (well 5 times to be precise) - it's pretty much become my favourite skiing destination (will return in Feb).
I always stay at the 15th century Weisses Kreuz. You can get single rooms for 40 Euros including a delicious breakfast.
It's a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the Nordkette funicular (and a 4 minute walk from the bus stop where free buses take you to about 6 local resorts). The lower Nordkette pistes there are limited but great fun to ski on, especially with the fantastic views of the city. The higher stuff is a huge challenge - I think they're effectively unpisted 'ski routes' but not 100% sure.
Axamer's a little bleak but there's good skiing to be had especially if the link to Mutters is open (where you can catch a 30 minute tram back to within a very short walk of the hotel).
Stubai is ok if you like vast open bowls (I don't much) although the long ski route to the bottom is great fun - you get a real sense of adventure.
My favourite local place is Schlick 2000, the skiing area above Fulpmes. You can take the free bus or the tram. Tram's a bit slower (60 mins) but is a really enjoyable journey, and it's a 12 minute uphill walk from the Fulpmes tram stop to the gondola. The skiing isn't particularly challenging but the scenery is breathtaking - feels like you;re tucked away in a hidden valley next to some of the finest and most jagged peaks in the Alps.
Patscherkofel is also worth a visit especially if you like antiquated features such as one-man chair lifts. Think it's the closest resort to the airport so good for the last day (although Nordkette would be fine too).
It's very easy to travel from the airport to the city centre by bus. Takes about 15 mins, costs around 3 Euros, and runs every 20 mins. It certainly beats a 4 hour coach transfer from Lyon Airport!
Bit of a brain dump but I hope that's useful.
Oh, there's a nice bar just next to the Golden Roof where you'll be fine having a solo drink. The bars have more of a student and local vibe than a ski resort, and the bar/restaurant prices are much lower than at the big Austrian resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Schlick has some pretty gnarly stuff...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. If you struggle booking any of the already mentioned hotels then try the Hilton and Ibis which are both very near the train and bus stations. I have stayed at the Hotel Innsbruck which is very convenient for the old town but it is a further trek to the train station

4. The bar/restaurant opposite the Golden roof on the corner is good for food and drinks. Also there is a friendly pub along the street from the Golden roof (As you face the golden roof turn left along the street and it is on the right hand side)

5. The bus to the airport is Bus F. You can get it from the bus station outside the train station. The airport might be described on the timetable boards as "Flughafen". The bus does go through part of the city centre but you need to know the route if you intend catching it anywhere else apart from the train station

6. As far as i can see the Easyjet flight at 16:05pm is the last direct flight of the day to London. Not checked any other UK location as I assume you meant to London?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fleecy, Re flights they go much later from Munich - you could probably squeeze another 2 hours of skiing in but lots more hassle
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello All

Huge thanks for all the feedback - am now all sorted!

Just got to go skiing now!

Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy