Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lowdown on Les Houches...

Poster: A snowHead
Right then.

Now that Christmas is out of the way and only there are only four weeks to go my son & I are starting into some serious research.

We're arriving in Les Houches the day after the Kandahar (unfortunately) & staying B&B near the Priaron bubble.

My son (13yrs old - 3rd week on snow) needs equipment hire - I'm guessing the ski shops @ Priaron are there are my best option for quality of gear & handiness.

I see there are lockers at the bubble. Are they heated? Are they accessible 24/7 - I'm thinking of a couple evening trips into Chamonix centre straight from the slopes so we can get the 7.30-ish bus back rather than the later 10-ish one.

Are there any reasonable eateries around the bubble base, or will we have to walk into Les Houches centre for that?

As for the skiing, I'm thinking of one day skiing away from Les Houches. I'd be interested in your recommendations as to which of the other areas is most suited to a 3rd week skier who is comfortable on blues.

And finally, any recommendation for on mountain lunches? I believe there are a lot of

I've had some general feedback before when I was making my booking, but now I'm looking for details details details.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

CW Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cardweg, top recommendation for on-hill eating is Les Vielles Luges. You can see it, just "off-piste" under the bubble as you go up.

The lockers aren't heated.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cardweg wrote:

As for the skiing, I'm thinking of one day skiing away from Les Houches. I'd be interested in your recommendations as to which of the other areas is most suited to a 3rd week skier who is comfortable on blues.

Le Tour is the cruising capital of the Chamonix valley, unfortunatly it's the complete opposite end of the valley! There is a bus change in Chamonix centre, so the journey could be 30mins-1hr (worst case scenario). Obviously you could tie that in with your evening in town and the trip up the valley will give you an insight to all the little hamlets for any future trips. Another option could be the train to Vallorcine and get onto Le Tour on the quieter back side but although I've done it from Cham I've never done it from Les Houches (don't even know if there is a train station there to be honest?). Otherwise Brevent (and with the link, Flegere) is the closest to you and although a some pistes may push your skills, a steady approch should see you down them all!

If you do go with one of those (or any of the Cham valley), buy the Les Houches pass for your time there and then a Le Cham pass for you day out.

Have a good time!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We skiied les houches for 4 days 3 winters back and its a lovely little area. the Kandahar (or Verte I think it is called on the map) will be a bullet proof ice rink after the race so be prepared.

We had lunch at a small south facing buffett restaurant call La Chat it was reasonably priced for things like pizza slices, meats etc served with breads , chips , rice etc and had a lovely view down the valley and had an 'Alpineness' feel about it rather then a rip off station to feed the masses. (if that makes any sence) just like a restaurant near the Kandahar run we went to once which had a large raised terrace, I would not go there again.

Here is a link to a couple of threads I started before I went there http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=816925&highlight=les+houches#816925

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=693230&highlight=les+houches#693230

Hope it helps

PS we hired at the Inter Sport Rent at the bottom of the Cable car main car park in the centre of the village and the service was excelent.
We pre paid via snowrental.net and collected the skis the lunch time before the hire started as we got there earlier then expected, so we got an extra afternoon skiing without having to pay the extra hire. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cardweg, if you have a car, Les Contamines would be a good place for a day away - only about 40 minutes drive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for all this info, much appreciated. Unfortunately no car this year pamw, but I agree, les contamines is great wee area. Stayed there a few years back with mates. We loved it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Le Cha.

Also recommend La Taniere which seems to now be under Spanish management. Excellent plat du jour and quiche du jour there on Saturday.

+1 also for les Vieilles Luges.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in Les Houches last Feb and skied all the areas in the valley.

The bus that picks up at the bottom of the Bubble and the Gondala goes through to LE Tour without changing, just lots of stops.

Le TOur is the best place for motorway cruising, on lower grade runs. Especially for top to bottom skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Le Tour would be the place to go, the other areas are pretty hardcore - even getting the lift up to Brevant is pretty intimidating! But if means doing it by bus I wouldn't bother leaving Les Houches unless you really have to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought it would be nice for my son to see some more of the valley than "just" les Houches, but a number of you seem to be saying it's not worth the hassle by bus. What does everyone elde think? I presume the bus is free?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cardweg wrote:
I thought it would be nice for my son to see some more of the valley than "just" les Houches, but a number of you seem to be saying it's not worth the hassle by bus. What does everyone elde think? I presume the bus is free?

You can get the train from Les Houches to Le Tour - they both have stations and it's a much nicer journey than the bus, and never gets too crowded. You can see the route on the SkiRail Map of the Alps http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
Journey takes about 50 mins but it's a great ride and the trains have high angled windows for panoramic views.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige wrote:
cardweg wrote:

You can get the train from Les Houches to Le Tour - they both have stations and it's a much nicer journey than the bus, and never gets too crowded. You can see the route on the SkiRail Map of the Alps http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
Journey takes about 50 mins but it's a great ride and the trains have high angled windows for panoramic views.

Now it's confirmed the train is possible from Les Houches, if your going to to do it that's the way I'd do it up to Vallorcine. The back run down from Le Tour to Vallorcine is one of the nicest and easiest return routes in the Cham Valley and also the most snow reliable (except GM which is cannoned and icy, which is steepish and scary for inter's due to the amount of "experts" retuning to the valley at 100mph). It also makes for a different kind of day out which can't be done in many resorts.

I personally think it is worth it, however as you can tell others don't. Guess it depends if your a die hard skier/boarder who wants to maximise slope time to improve your technique or if your more a traveller who looks upon a ski trip to experience and explore a lifestyle only found in mountain areas!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cardweg, friends stayed in Les Houches and tried exploring the rest of the valley by bus. They complained that the buses took ages just because they stopped so often.

I think the point is that you'll probably be ok with it for one or two days, but it's a complete PITA if you are thinking about basing yourself in Les Houches and then skiing the rest of the valley all week.

Neil Neige's point about the train is a good one. A much more civilised way to travel - just take a rucksack and some trainers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and if you do it and it's a clear day the large dam that can be seen from the return run is the one Bond jumps from in Goldeneye (or which ever Bond movie it is!)...at least thats what I was told, another Snowhead will prob tell me I'm wrong now! Something to tell the family on Boxing day!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni, I'm only considering one day away from LH, so it shouldn't limit us too much, and it's all dependent on how we get on, weather etc... Mind you, the train option will definitely attract further scrutiny. Got a second vote for Brevent tonight, still not as good as Le Tour but doable & much closer, so perhaps a closer look at the piste map is worth it once we get there. Pity there isn't a better one online... Thanks for all the info, folks. Keep it coming. Any good village eateries/activities in LH or Cham centre? Thanks again, CW Happy
snow report
Having done Le Fayet to Les houches, IIRC the train stop in Les Houches is quite a way off the main drag - I have 2km in my head but could be wrong. In any event FS's advice of trainers is sound!

Another option which admittedly isn't Chamonix would be to take the TMB from Bellevue to St Gervais - it isn't a cheap fare though!
latest report
Thanks for all the advice so far. Last chance now as we're off tomorrow. Any final gems of wisdom to this Chamonix virgin? By the way we've moved closer in & are now staying at the St Antoine.
Can't wait Happy
CW
snow report
cardweg, if your staying as St Antoine , that is further away from the lifts, about 4 stops on the bus on the way to Cham , but it does stop outside your hotel for both Les Houches and Chamonix, they do fantastic pizzas , and the steaks are great too. It is about a 15 minute walk back to Bellvue and another 5 to 10 to Prairion. Have a great trip...
snow conditions
Cheers Scot Ski
CW Happy
ski holidays
cardweg, The train stop for the gondola is at a viaduct, and you walk up through the forest, when i went about 2 years ago now, it had snowed loads (in april!) and the walk up the path was surreal through snow about 2 foot deep. Its not that far, about 10 to 15 mins walk and feels very very rustic. I really enjoyed les houches, even got loads of fresh tracks in the afternoon as not many people were there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy