Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going in January - where to go?...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Things have worked out so 21/22 of this month, me and the wife can go away for a (romantic) snowboarding break for a week in France.

Not got pots of money to spare - probably don't want to exceed £700 each including lift pass for a chalet/hotel hol with full board, transfers and flights.

Anyway, there are quite a few around (La Rosiere, Plagne 1800, Serre Chevalier, ADH) but just thought I'd canvas some opinions on resorts that might fit us:

* I love razzing it down reds mainly, and off-piste I enjoy (but not gnarly stuff) and the wife is pretty much the same.
* Not massive drinkers anymore and being on a tight(ish) budget we'll probably have a few beers after food, that's it, so it doesn't have to be a resort with a million pubs.
* We like tree areas (such as those up Le Fornet, Val d'isere) so that kind of terrain would be nice as an option if the weather closes in further up the mountain.
* We're both not particularly adept at using drag lifts so prefer resorts with a higher proportion of chairs, bubbles and cable cars.
* Not looking for lots of greens and definitely not looking for resorts that sport a lot of flats.
* Wouldn't want to be doing the same runs over and over, but the resort doesn't have to be massive; Les Gets/Morzine was nice (150km), as was ADH (200km+) - don't need 600km+ in reality.
* Cheaper lifts passes fit in with this although we're budgeting for £200 or so per lift pass just to be on the safe side.
* Not massively fussed about transfer times, although the shorter the better obviously, but to be honest, it's no an issue if it's 3hrs+.
* We're not insistent on 'chocolate box' looks - just happy to see snow to be fair Smile

I know it sounds quite particular but I thought I'd work on the things we've found out over the years.

I think more than anything I would like to avoid just going straight for a big resort because it's there in front of me. Of course, we're dictated by what deals are there (booking towards the end of this week) but if there's a resort I'm not familiar with/aware of then I could miss out on a nice experience.

Anyway, ramble over - any help and advice will be most appreciated and go easy on me - been out of the game for a few years!! Smile

Pat
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pat, My tip would be that Chalets are far from 'romantic' unless you are an aural voyeur and/or exhibitionist Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, Serre Chevalier certainly offers the terrain variety and a sense of travel. The Grand Aigle (IIRC) in Villeneuve through Rocket Ski offers a decent budget stay, food good and a pleasant enough bar.

The Southern French alps may have missed some of the recent epic snowfalls elsewhere, but depths seem fine. Plenty of tree line skiing if the weather comes down.

Otherwise, I'd probably suggest La Plagne.....but maybe because I'll be there end of the month snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
Pat, My tip would be that Chalets are far from 'romantic' unless you are an aural voyeur and/or exhibitionist Shocked

The 'romantic' bit is a kind of justification for us going Smile Just the two of us, no kids, no worries. We like it in chalets for the social side of things but I know what you mean - paper-thin walls and squeaky beds might give the game away to the other guests wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd vote for Serre Che as well. Nice "grown up" resort. Huge amount of really good cruising terrain, and given the spread across the villages it has a really "varied" feel to it. Plenty of lovely stuff around the treeline, and some great cruisy chilledness for that last run home before beer.

Try the piano bar in Chantemerle. On the road, next to the bike shop. Forget the name! Wondrously drunk vieux Francais tinkles the ivories.

I'll be out there that week as well, so you can buy me a beer for the tip! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, Toofy Grin

Mountainsun have some OK places at low prices in the Les Arcs / La Plagne area - check that out perhaps? great tree skiing...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
Specialman, Toofy Grin

Mountainsun have some OK places at low prices in the Les Arcs / La Plagne area - check that out perhaps? great tree skiing...

They do the glacier breaks in Tignes don't they? Have seen them before.... good prices but they're on 3/4 days - we're after a week and want flights included. Thankas anyway. Smile

Seems La Rosiere is coming up plenty on the searches, as is Serre Che and Les Arcs. Just keeping my eyes peeled for whatever else becomes available at a low price.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, If you can be flexible and do Tuesday 17th to Tuesday 24th we can do you a good deal. Cheaper flights, B&B so you can sample some of the local fare. Pm Nina if interested. Become our 7th snowHead 's of the season. Still waiting to find a baddun, they have all been great company.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy