Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you/would you give up to go skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Booked my ski hols.............. delighted
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy have been addicted to snowHead's since we decided to go. Didn't get to go last year and prob not the best idea to go this year, prob should put the money towards something more sensible like a new car fund. Anyone else putting off the 'sensible' to get away?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, definitely know that feeling!!! We should in fact NOT be paying for a holiday but the deposit on our honeymoon (skiing in canada though so that's always going to be happening whether or not a loan may be involved!!!) along with paying for our wedding next January. Whoops!

Last second deal for us this year in the hope we'll get something slightly cheaper. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I'd definitely give up everything but a simple, family-style DIY wedding. In our case we give up all other "paid for" holidays, we have one car which has done over 100K miles and is going to have to do a lot more, and we take in a lodger to pay for our apartment in France. My kitchen is at least 24 years old (no idea really, it was in the house when we bought it 18 years ago and needed replacing then). The carpets aren't that old but could do with replacing all the same! When the kids were younger and I was working we had quite a few weeks ski holidays but they were always "the" holiday of the year.

Now we can spend a lot of time in the mountains, winter, spring, summer and autumn. snowHead

It's not just skiing (as we get older we ski less long and hard) but the mountains. So much more important than a shiny new kitchen or car. Or frying on a beach with farsands of others.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off now on the first lift; the sun is shining and the snow is gigantic.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the moment I'm giving up a lot of non-mountainous places, notably numerous European cities, which I'd like to visit. And there are various home improvements which I too would undertake, but which aren't really essential. I doubt that I'd forego anything 'essential', whatever that may mean.

Have a nice ski, pam w!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs Higs tells me it's one ski holiday a year from now on until we get the bathroom sorted out.

In her defence, she enjoys the skiing every bit as much as me and the bathroom is a complete state.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs, keep the bathroom and change the Mrs

I think pam w may be taken but that's the sort you want
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
I think pam w may be taken but that's the sort you want
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before skiing I used to do several Autumn/Winter/Spring city weekends and perhaps a Winter week in the sun. No more, all my holidays (days and money) now goes on skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have pretty much no social life and no other holidays just so that I can save up the money I need to go skiing. Not to mention two, sometimes three jobs. Worth every penny of course.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

prob should put the money towards something more sensible like a new car fund.

It's not a huge sacrifice for me because cars don't interest me that much but one of the luxuries that I do not indulge in is new cars to afford more skiing. I buy second hand and keep them untill they fail (Which with my maintenance skills is not exactly forever)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

I have pretty much no social life...so that I can save up the money I need to go skiing.
That, for me, would be a step way too far. Skiing for two weeks, or so, a year instead of a social life for the rest of the year? I don't think so.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We gave up work (hurrah) and therefore money (boo), all holidays, toys and gadgets. OK, still got the motorbikes. We gave up electricity - although we finally should get a grid connection next month after two years of relying on solar and 2 gennies. Two years without meals out or expensive food in. No coke, crisps, chocolate unless we have saved enough money at the end of the month. We spend 94 cents a litre on wine. As a bookshop manager I had a serious book buying habbit but haven't bought a book for over two years. We would still have our 12 year old car, except we wrote it off in a blizzard whilst moving to France. Fortunately we'd only managed half a mile of the 800 and could walk back!

So huge sacrifices and our families think (rightly) that we are mad but it is so worth it.

We ski whenever we like from home and all our friends from the UK come and visit us (OK visit the mountains). And we have nearly finished building our own house, which is an amazing sense of achievement. This year tile the salon/sejour and finish decorating.

Not sure what we'll do if we decide we don't like skiing anymore...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, agreed, it is important to have some sort of social life for the remaining 50 weeks of the year. A social life doesn't need to be expensive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stella, Wow, good on you... and good luck to you. That's impressive!

Hells Bells, Pedantica, Agreed. My social life doesn't cost me much at all and I certainly wouldn't give it up for just a week or two's skiing per year. How miserable would I be for the other 50 weeks?
snow report
Personally, I don't know what I'd give up because I don't really know what I have to give up!

I couldn't give up the money spent on photography - that's a major thing for me, as it's my main hobby and part of my job - and I can stick with the two cars we have, which aren't new (Y-reg SEAT Arosa and 54-reg Volvo S60). The house is pretty fresh anyway and if anything needs doing, it's a lick of paint. I'll fit a new kitchen this ear but it'll be cheap (but nice) from IKEA and I'll do the majority of the work myself.

We have a summer holiday these days because of the nipper; before kids that would have been a second ski holiday, probably in March/April. When he's older then we'll suss out whether he prefers summer to winter hold.... just have to get him on planks first to gauge his reaction.

Social life is very low-key; we don't go out at all to pubs and restaurants - we have the odd sunday lunch out with friends but most of the time we all head round someone's house with a few beers and some snacks, or someone cooks a big meal. Cheap and simple.

Kids definitely help curb your social life as in going to the pub and doing a load of money. I used to love the pub three or four nights a week but now I'm much happier at home, relaxing and doing my photography.

I'd love to jack it all in and live in the mountains but maybe that's something I can do when the nipper has flown the nest.... Smile
snow conditions
My social life costs me very little - I think for many younger people it means going out drinking and clubbing which costs a fortune. If I am cooking a meal, I can cook a bit more for friends or family, and they don't seem to find it a strain to reciprocate! Drinks are very cheap at our sailing club, not that we drink v much there. We visit friends who don't live nearby, so that's a bit of fuel cost, but we would always eat in when we get there. There are loads and loads of social opportunities which cost very little - I don't have time to indulge in them all. For example there's a nice low key group of women from the sailing club that do some cycling trips which would be within my (limited) capacity but so far I've never managed to get to a ride because they are mostly in winter (the group is one that sails together in the summer) when we are skiing! A favourite outing for me and the OH is ride down to Hayling Beach, have a cheese and ham sarnie and a flask of coffee watching the windsurfers, and ride back. OK, the bikes cost money in the first place, but the marginal cost is zilch. Hardly a wild social life but suits us fine. One thing I'd do a lot more often if money were no object is go to the theatre in Chichester; that's pricey, and an occasional treat.
snow conditions
Right now... Everything.
snow conditions
Well I have two jobs and friends who I visit, so it's not like I don't ever spend time with other people. I just hardly ever go out spending money such as dining out, pubs, etc. Maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I know plenty of people who go out every week but it's far more important for me to save for my ski trips.
ski holidays
pam w, hmm, interesting one. I'm fortunate not to have to choose between the concertizing/theatregoing of which I do a lot, and skiing. If I had to, I think I'd probably make the same choice as you, but it would be very frustrating, as there's nothing to beat the live stage experience for concerts, theatre and opera, and I'm on the doorstep of so much of it. There again, would I move out of London and downsize just to ski more often? No, and that's as much because of all the live entertainment and exhibitions as anything. So maybe skiing would take second place to 'art' for me after all. Confused

queen bodecia, that's fair enough, going out to pubs and restaurants can be pretty over-rated anyway.
latest report
I have sacrificed two knees to skiing.
snow report
johnE, Laughing

Pedantica, when we were weighing up the arguments for buying our apartment, we had to take all that into consideration. In particular we told ourselves it would have to be instead of other expensive holidays, not in addition. It's not as simple as "skiing". It's having a second home in the mountains, and all that goes with it. Sitting on the terrace in the summer with a book and a cold white wine, watching the sunset on Mont Blanc, pottering round the Beaufort market, having the incentive to have learnt to cope OK in French - all sorts of stuff. And having the place to invite friends and family to join us (if they are prepared to sleep in a cramped bedroom!).

for all that, yes we certainly had to make "sacrifices" in the sense that there's a clear opportunity cost. But if we didn't have the apartment I still wouldn't spend a lot of money on new cars or a new kitchen - I'd spend it on lots of other things, including more sailing and more theatre and travel to other places.

Having taken the plunge and bought the apartment, there are high fixed costs - including a season lift pass - which means there are powerful arguments for spending a lot of time here. It's a bit all or nothing, really - we can't save any significant money by giving up a week's skiing. We spend quite a lot on travel to and forth - so the best value for money is to stay a long time. wink

When the kids were younger we definitely did some ski holidays we couldn't really "afford" - it's such an unbeatable way to have a family holiday, and they're only young once. They were all done on a fairly tight budget, and none the worse for that. Even budget family ski trips cost a fortune. The kids opted more than once to have a ski trip instead of "big" Christmas presents.
latest report
Quote:

It's having a second home in the mountains, and all that goes with it. Sitting on the terrace in the summer with a book and a cold white wine, watching the sunset on Mont Blanc, pottering round the Beaufort market, having the incentive to have learnt to cope OK in French - all sorts of stuff. And having the place to invite friends and family to join us (if they are prepared to sleep in a cramped bedroom!).

Oh yes, I can relate to all of that (I used to have similar idyllic times, though the sunset was over the Dentelles de Montmirail and Mont Ventoux, rather than Mont Blanc) but I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the OP was more about actual skiing.
snow report
Actually, I've just remembered, when I moved to my present house about 15 years ago, I did sacrifice skiing that year - to having some work done in the bathroom! Laughing
snow conditions
Pedantica, you are Mrs Higs and I claim my ..er.. 5 piece bathroom suite
snow report
We did go skiing the year we got married but we didn't make it the following year trying to clear the loans. Def remember not tiling the bathroom the year we moved into the house so we could go. Tile the bathroom go skiing hmmmm bit of a no brainer. I suppose it's like everything in life trying to find the right balance. Kids def curb your social life,can't wait until we can see our little man skiing.

Fair play to you Stella that level of commitment is huge. I don't know if I'd be able for it. I love the idea of a second home but I love visiting new places so I'm not sure I'd want to commit to the one area and give up the chance of visiting somewhere new every year. I love the excitement of researching, booking & visiting new places. Smile
I suppose there is always the lotto. Then I'd have a few houses Cool
ski holidays
red 27, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the OP was more about actual skiing.

No, I'm sure you're right. It's just that for us it is now not possible to distinguish between the opportunity cost of the skiing and the opportunity cost of having an apartment, as they are part and parcel of the same thing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to go skiing .................... i'd give up .................................................................. work. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
theskibob, Aaaah free skiing... and the rest of your life living with M&D Smile

I'd give up summer holidays.
latest report
We tend to be quite focussed about what we spend our money on so don't buy lots of gadgets/ eat out lots etc because we tend to prefer to spend money on holidays and save quite a bit. These days that means 2 or 3 ski trips a year as we love being outside as a family doing something together. We would spend the same on hols v meals out though even if we hadn't discovered skiing - like to work hard and play hard; life with kids means the playing is concentrated into holidays!!
snow conditions
I normally give up a morning at work, and a lie in Very Happy
latest report
When we first started skiing my summer hols were the be all and end all for me - now skiing is our "main" holiday of the year and I would direct all my holiday savings to that, getting a cheap week somewhere in the sun in September.
snow conditions
I quite simply don't go out - but I do work in the late night industry, so leaving the house post 7pm has lost it's allure. I live in a pretty rough and ready corner of Leeds (which I love) and my 'car' is a green rider bus pass. Former obsesssions with clothes, books and eating out are all indulged rarely as I find myself converting the bill into € in my head and working out what it would buy whilst skiing... I do sometimes wonder if all the scrimping and saving is worth it, but those doubts are swiftly blown away on the first run down!
ski holidays
It's a no brainer, really.

The lot here knows what they want! End of story.

Life for the 99% is about compromises and something or another gets sacrefied. The young people who go out to drink every Friday don't know what they want yet. So they drink to fill the emptiness. Some wants their bathroom more than skiing. I understand. It's those who wish they're skiing while re-tiling their still half new bathroom that I feel a bit sorry for.

As for cars, it's a transport for me. So as long as it runs (and the maintenance cost is lower than paying for a new car Wink ), I'll keep running it. Again, I'll make exception of those who really LOVE cars. They're allowed to sacrefies skiing to have another car. Smile

I only pity those who still don't know what they really want (or want them all when they don't have the means for it). So they get a new car because their mate have one, Or re-model their bathroom because their neighbour did...

But those peoole are not here, posting about skiing because they love it (and KNOW they love it more than anything else) Very Happy
snow report
Occasionally give away a morning transfer if there is a good powder morning in the offing.
Shhhh, do not tell Mrs Dallypaul. Our secret OK Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Skiing is our main (ie most expensive) holiday of the year and if we didn't ski, we could go on 2, reasonably priced hols a year, instead of our usual camping trip in the summer

Apart from that, we don't give up awful lot, as there are only 2 of us, we both have good jobs and apart from the mortgage and usual living costs (and my expensive horse habit), we don't spend a lot - we go out for the odd meal, but don't go out drinking, etc. I drive a 11yo mobile kennel/tack room, OH drives an 8yo and rather battered car, neither of us are materialistic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy