Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road Trip to Austria at Easter..recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm only back a week(from Soll),and I want to go again! Have burned my eyeballs out looking at TO sites...and it aint happening.The Easter price hikes have put paid to that Sad So,looking at a drive out.Driven loads to France,so not phased by the trip.Be a bit of an adventure maybe? Via Michelin tells me its via...France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany to Austria? And no tolls Very Happy
Thing is,apart from Soll,I have zero knowledge of Austria and its ski areas.I know the SkiWelt will close that weekend;but Ski Amade is open,along with others?
So,looking for a bit of SH wisdom on this.We are a family of 3(maybe 4 if No1 son tags along).2 adults and 15yr old daughter(No1 son is 20,so possibly 3 adults).Looking at as budget as is possible,but truely open to any sensible suggestions.Main priority is good skiing for time of year,along with ease of booking.Not dealt directly into Austria before,so not at all familier with any convensions etc.Most counties have their quirks,so any pitfalls please tell me.
Looking to drive out Friday 6th April..stop overnight(around half way),to arrive in resort Sat 7th.Six days skiing from Sunday...own kit.

Come on guys.......get me back to Austria snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow, well, I'll try, as in "if it were me". 6th is Good Friday so you've picked a week that's likely to be v busy but compounded by the fact that some resorts could be running low on that vital white ingredient. Inevitably the higher resorts will be packed. Good news is that you've characterised this as a road trip so presumably, in the spirit of road trips, happy to take a bit of pot luck here and there regards accommo - "budget as possible" means looking out for "zimmer frei" signs on B&Bs and just knocking on the door - it's a great way to keep the cost down and stay in some unique places. Just pick villages just a short drive from the main resorts and you should find stuff. So, at that time of the season, think I'd head down the route you suggest, head for Ulm and then onwards to Bregenz looking for the A14 and then chose either the Arlberg (for the likes of St Anton, Lech, Zurs) or dive off up the Montafon and take in Gargellen, Galtur, Ischgl. This is the snowiest end of Austria and skiing is higher than in the east so I'd predict better conditions. I've stayed cheaply in Landeck before now and used it as a base. Not a very inspiring town but quality skiing all around.

If you want to see more of Austria maybe continue towards Innsbruck as far as Imst and then turn up the Otztal and take in Solden and Obergurgl. Loads of places to stay along the valley.

That's my 2p worth.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good post from Swiller.

Go to St Anton.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for st Anton (stuben for cheaper and quieter base). Ischgl is also worth looking at (kappl for cheaper and quieter base). I've been lopoking into nauders this year and it may be worth looking into as it's at a decent height.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow, Haus Harry in St Anton was cheap and fine for us lasy year... has car park... Tolerable walk to lifts (esp in April)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done Easters in Austria in Solden and Stubai. Great snow and skiing every time. If you're doing a DIY road trip Austria is pretty easy. A surprisingly high humber of hotel/apartment owners and tourist information staff speak good English (I say surprisingly because places like Solden seem to have few Brits but loads of Dutch, Germans and Swedes). Once you've narrowed down your location the resort websites have good seach tools to find your own accommodation.

The most recent Easter was in Stubai. We stayed in Fulpmes which is a small quiet village with a small mountain of its own and was about 20mins by free bus to the Glacier. I've also been to Solden and Kaprun, and would say that the glacier skiing in Stubai is superior (Stubai > Solden > Kaprun). There isn't much at the foot of the glacier gondolas unlike Solden but Stubai has the advantage of being a stones throw from Innsbruck if you want a change of scenery. If you want livelilier evenings I'd suggest Solden.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy