Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

drive calais (eurotunnel) to chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
hi
driving down to chamonix, off peak time, can anyone give us estimate on time? sat nav says one thing and google maps something else -- varience of 2hrs!??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8.5 -9.0 hrs
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Around 8.5 hours plus stops. Try via michelin website. We found that useful and had the right change ready for the peage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on how 'focussed' you are.

My sensible record was sub 6hours......... Basically left chamonix with a full tank, took one break half way to fill up and have a comfort break and that was it..... Set the cruise control at 90mph from start to finish.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on the weather. If you crawl through northern France in a snowstorm at 35 mph it could take a while. Fog can slow you down seriously as well, and if it's raining the speed limit is just under 70 mph.

Using a credit card for the péage saves a lot of grovelling around for change. Via michelin is excellent.

Google maps will tell you that the fastest route Calais - Chamonix is through Paris but nobody I know drives that way. Also the route through Dijon/Bourg en Bresse is much preferable to the nasty, busy, A6 between Paris and Lyons (no need to go anywhere near Lyon).

Driving off peak time is a good idea. Saturdays, even out of school holidays, are not much fun on the roads up to the resorts and the A40 can get pretty busy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's 900 km give or take a bit and 99% on motorway. Realistically you can acheive an average (whilst moving - i.e excluding petrol, pit, food stops) of 110kph if you get a clear run and good conditions. If you cane it you could get this up to 120kph. Much more than that you are really pushing it.

So that makes it around 7h30m to 8h DRIVING time (n.b. caning it to get a 120kph average only saves you 30 minutes!)

Real world assuming a fuel stop, couple of loo stops and one proper rest of 45 mins - 9h 30m
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

caning it to get a 120kph average only saves you 30 minutes!

good point. It will also push up your fuel consumption significantly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just over a week ago we drove 1140m from Selva back to Cornwall via the tunnel in 20.5hrs. It takes 22hrs to fly from here out of Gatwick. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJL wrote:
It's 900 km give or take a bit and 99% on motorway. Realistically you can acheive an average (whilst moving - i.e excluding petrol, pit, food stops) of 110kph if you get a clear run and good conditions. If you cane it you could get this up to 120kph. Much more than that you are really pushing it.

Not necessarilly, given the right car and the right conditions..................... when I'm doing a road trip like this I am actually quite sad (as well as lonely) so record the stats..... and it always puts a little smile on my face by seeing me average 85mph for an hour and then two and then three!!

DJL wrote:

So that makes it around 7h30m to 8h DRIVING time (n.b. caning it to get a 120kph average only saves you 30 minutes!)

Real world assuming a fuel stop, couple of loo stops and one proper rest of 45 mins - 9h 30m

As I said it depends on how focussed you are.... and how used you are to doing this sort of trip........ and the car you're doing it in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it depends on how focussed you are.... and how used you are to doing this sort of trip........ and the car you're doing it in

not to mention on your attitude to breaking the law....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cbowls30, Bear in mind most UK based sterling card will levy a £1.00 to £1.50 charge every time you use the card, so unless you have provider such as FairFX or one of the other handful that do not charge, this could potentially be an expensive option say 10 toll peages each way Embarassed

Let us know how you get and and good luck!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it depends on how focussed you are.... and how used you are to doing this sort of trip........ and the car you're doing it in

not to mention on your attitude to breaking the law....

Unlikely to get into trouble by cruising at 90 (unless there's weather or other temporary restrictions) though pam
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
some debit cards add a flat fee but AFAIK most credit cards, whilst they do load the exchange rate you are given, don't give a rate much worse than any other way of getting hold of euro. I regularly have to use my credit card for parking at geneva, as I rarely have any Swiss francs. It's never very much, on my credit card account (and as it's so much cheaper than parking at Heathrow or Gatwick I never feel too cheated!).

I have a telepeage badge for tolls, as I drive frequently. That actually costs slightly more than fishing out the right money in coins, too, but on the long, long, drive to the Alps, as the sole driver, I can't be doing with wasting precious time to save a few cents.

I save big money by taking some fresh home-made sandwiches and fruit, and by trying to keep the speed down a bit, to eke out the diesel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cbowls30, How many drivers? Have done Warrington to Chamonix door to door in 12 hrs. Drove through the night each time starting at 9pm. Once with 4 drivers and once with 3. Rotate the driving and seating position every couple of hours. Wee breaks when you stop for fuel. Sandwiches and coffee/juice on the move. Non driver in the front can kip or keep the driver company. Non drivers in the back seat get to kip on the way down so everyone stays relatively fresh.

On the slopes by 10am Toofy Grin

Agree with others, definitely don't go through Paris and Via Michelin is your friend although the autoroute is quite simple. Calais-Reims-Troyes-Dijon-Bourg en Bresse-Autoroute Blanche and finally Chamonix .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus, You could always do the old Kojak routine and shine your head in their eyes! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
there are two drivers, but four in the car (co. car and can not get the other two insured)....... we are well up for the whole 'road trip' ! we've travelled in france quite a few times beforre so we know how good the autoroute can be -- its not until the beginning of march so i will make sure i note how long it takes for the TR!
snow conditions
Marcellus, we do the trip regularly (4 times a year) I'm focused when driving (helps staying alive) and have a car with winter tyres capable of cruising at 120mph (don't choose to though)

The question was an estimate of time taken. I stand by my 9h30m. You might shave a bit off this.

Sub 6 hours? That's an average of 150kph! If you cruise at 90 mph (144kph) you might average 130kph which would give a 7 hour journey time assuming a 4 minute fuel/pee stop (I guess you could do both together)

Did you borrow Jon Olsen's Gallardo (see thread elsewhere on the site)
latest report
Quote:

I stand by my 9h30m

I'd agree with that - takes me a bit longer but Les Saisies is further, and more slow bits at the end. I always stop every 2 hours, though as briefly as posible. cbowls30, if that's a Saturday at the beginning of March, bear in mind it's French school hols, so could be some traffic to contend with.
ski holidays
Yep sorry you're right DJL...... Just checked with Mrs M and our personal record is 7hours not 6 as I thought.... We were once on for a 6 and then had to stop for a chat with a very nice man in blue (still whats 90€ amongst friends)

As for power of car.... They were close in BHP to The lambos!!
ski holidays
This Xmas it took us 8hrs and 15 mins from St Gervais (cham -15mins) to Calais on the clearest day time run I have ever experienced. This included 2 fuel stops, grabbing a sandwich at one, and a good portion of the time at 85mph + By the same token, it has also taken us 10hrs plus for no good reason at all.
snow conditions
marcellus, I've done it in the sort of times you mention quite a few times, one fuel/pee stop and just keep going. Cruise set to 160kph, so true just over 150kph.
snow report
Lichfield to Samoens (about 30 mins less than Chamonix I would guess) driving time 10:30 to 11:30 - from Calais, approx 7-8 hours depending on conditions. There is rarely any traffic, but if the weather is bad, the speed limit it lower, and on the last part (L'Autoroute Blanc) there are some bends you would't want to take too fast (the raised sections Happy. I usually drive the whole way too, so sometimes feel the need to take the last hour or two slower as I know I am getting tired by then.

Its a long day, but I prefer it to sitting around in airports.
snow conditions
We always drive to Chamonix, you really need the car to make the most of the surrounding ski areas. I always get the 0330hrs sailing from Dover to Calais, exit the port at 0600hrs French time, make a couple of stops for fuel and toilet and usually arrive in Cham between 1.00pm and 3.00pm, done that for the last 10 years and never had any problems. I'm off to Cham in 2 weeks time! Have fun.
snow report
pam w, yeh that is the last saturday of french holidays but we've now decided that due to that we are going to get a later crossing (accomodation booked from sunday) -- arrive france about 4pm -- hoping that the majority of school holiday traffic will already be near resort by that time, going to take our time, get as far down france as possible then get in a cheap formula 1 or etap by the motorway for the night, get up early on sunday when we hope the traffic has totally dissapeared and go the rest of the way!............ fingers crossed!
ski holidays
cbowls30, that sounds like a good plan. stevo_the_saddler, I always find myself driving slower towards the end of the run too - often without consciously thinking about it. Just suddenly realise (e.g. on the A3 on the way home) that I've been doing 50 - 55 mph. After a long drive, and an early start, I think anyone who thinks their focus and reactions are still top notch is probably kidding themselves.
ski holidays
Assuming dry roads and no major hold-ups, 9 to9.5 hours is realistic imv from Calais. I usually travel the first Saturday of half term from an overnight F1 (Lieven this time) to Flaine starting at 6.30ish, stop for breakfast / fuel about 8.30 then lunch 12.30ish then all the way. The first tunnel on the Autoroute blanche is inevitably queued and the first peage after all the tunnels, otherwise we cruise at 120kph.
snow conditions
billb, The times i get there (later) on Sat half term... I have never queued anywhere (crosses fingers that I haven't just jinxed that!).
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Yes, if you can leave it until later in the evening I expect the queues have gone but we rent an apartment and need to collect the key. We can arrange a later pick-up but I prefer to get up the hill in daylight. Still, we don't get held up too much, unless Paris are on holiday.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If time is not of the essence, consider the route via Luxembourg. Adds 70 odd miles, but in my 48l tank that is balanced by the cheaper fuel and you avoid any tolls. Roads are of similar quality to the peage until you near Switzerland when it becomes a little fiddly, unless you join the toll network.
latest report
Boardban, that's an interesting option. I've used the Luxembourg route driving down through Switzerland to Italy, but as you say it doesn't add a huge amount to the trip to Chamonix - one to two hours. Saves a lot of tolls - though you do have to pay to pee! I don't think the roads are as good as the French ones. Last time we did it there were quite a lot of roadworks and heavy traffic round Brussels (weekday lunchtime - Sunday would be better probably). We have a Swiss motorway vignette so that part of the journey wouldn't be a problem. Overall would probably be 1 - 2 hours longer than the direct route and the toll savings are significant.
latest report
Boardban, Weve done the route via Luxembourg a few times. As you've said it's toll free and you get a fill of cheap petrol in Luxembourg. The roads however are not as good as the French peages and the section through the Ardennes is very prone to fog (though you can get that in N France as well).

We have done Calais, Charleroi, Namur, Lux, Metz, Nancy then via the Vosges to Mulhouse then Basel, Bern, Lausanne to Chatel. The drive through the Vosges is beautiful but slow and would add more than 1-2 hours. You could go across to Strasbourg and down to Basel that way on either the French or German motorways. Presume to Chamonix you would then go to Martigny and over the pass. Need to make sure it is open.

On balance despite the cost savings (and I am a Yorkshireman!) I wouldn't do it unless you particularly wanted a road trip.
ski holidays
Son did Samoens Calais no problem yesterday in 7.5 hours
latest report
Ok so on Friday the 3rd I drove Chamonix to Calais and here are the stats;

Left Chamonix at 12:32 and reset the trip and the trip timer at teh roundabout for the Mont Blanc Tunnel.

13:32 - covered 74 miles - Average sector speed 74mph due to the windy road down and then the reduced speed limits during section between Cham and GVA
14:32 - covered a further 81 miles - Average sector speed 81mph due to sections of reduced speed limits through tunnels - Cumulative average speed 77mph
15:32 - covered a further 88 miles - Average sector speed 88mph but other cars might struggle to maintain this as there are rolling hills across the Jura - Cumulative average speed 81mph
16:32 - covered a further 88miles - average sector speed 88mph - cumulative average speed 82mph
16:38 - stopped for fuel, comfort and food - covered a further 8 miles - average sector 80mph (due to slowing in services) cumulative average speed 82mph
16:58 - Restarted
17:58 - covered a further 84 miles - average sector 84mph - cumulative average speed 83mph
18:58 - covered a further 88 miles - average sector 88mph - cumulative average speed 84mph
19:10 - Arrived at Tunnel check in - covered a further 16 miles - average sector speed 80mph - cumulative average speed 84mph.

So total travel time was 6hours 38 minutes which included 20minutes break therefore total drive time was 6hours 18minutes...... not a million miles away from my initial estimate of 6hours!!

Also, as noted by the average speeds not massively excessive......... highest average speed of any sector was 88mph so less than 10% above the speed limit.

BUT as I've commented elsewhere, the key is being able to "maintain" the average speed, not faffing at the breaks and obviously dependant upon road and weather conditions.

These are actual timings and distances and not taken from Google, Michelin or any other route planners!!
latest report
We used to leave Kendal about 6pm and get a midnight(ish) ferry (no chunnel then) and therefore hit French soil about 2:30am - we generally got to Chamonix about 9-9:30 going via Reims and Dijon. This was rotating 3 or 4 drivers - usually 2-3hrs driving then swap. Absolutely minimal stops - fuel only, wee when you stop.

One of my mates, a traffic policeman, actually drove all the way from Cham to Calais once with just one stop - that wasn't terribly quick as there was a lot of snow leaving the valley, but I guess even that was about 8hrs to the ferry.
snow report
I've got a big c@ck and can drive my car really fast for hours and hours. ....and it's red.
..just sayin!!
ski holidays
 cran
cran
dudders wrote:
I've got a big c@ck and can drive my car really fast for hours and hours. ....and it's red.
..just sayin!!

You can get cream for that... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy