Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Schladming tomorrow(Sat 7th)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're driving from Munich to The Chalet Pension Hoffelner in Ramsau am Dachstein, Schladming tomorrow. The forecast is for heavy snow NehNeh , so I have questions about chains - namely, at what stage of the journey do we put them on? I'm guessing it's once you reach the point where the roads are white! And - if, after putting them on, we hit a stretch of clear road, what speed is it safe to drive at on clear tarmac?

Any other advice about the drive is welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
put them on at the first hint of a loss of traction, or when most others are putting them on, or when the police stop you and insist; whichever comes sooner. the noise from the chains will give you a feel for how fast to drive on clear tarmac! You presumably have snow tyres, so you might be surprised how well you get on without chains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tom Doc, We're driving from Saltzburg to Radstadt tomorrow, so might bump into you on the road. Shocked I'm glad I ordered chains now. Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tom Doc, If there is snow on the road in Schladming then fit them before going up the hill. The chalet is about 800 yrds off the main road and the road is not cleared as well as the main roads as it is not a bus route. Plenty of places to fit the chains in Ramsau but you dont want to be doing it half way up the hill from the valley.

Very nice chalet, nice pint of reasonably priced 'Minger, excellent food and helpful hosts. It is very much "their" house and they expect (justifiably) that you respect it. I would take some easily recognised slippers, they do provide but nice to have your own. Rob & Joanne are very helpful and may suggest that you have trip to Rittesberg (5 mins) on the chalet night off. A meal at the excellent mountain top hutte and 3 runs down the super toboggan run. There was a big group of us with kids and it was a brilliant night and would suit all.

If there is a clear and calm day then a trip up to the glacier is fun. Not great skiing but if you park at Rittiberg and catch the bus up to the glacier lift station you can have a fun ski back to Rittisberg from the lift base station (not for boarders) along tracks and then some gentle pistes and accross a road.

We stayed there a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i'm living in schladming at the moment and there is lots and lots of snow! They hav done a pretty good job of gritting the roads but the snow keeps coming down. The motorways should be fine but the drive up to ramsau from shladming is a steep one so at the very least put the chains on when you arrive in schladming! Also if it's your first time here i'm ski guiding so give me a call if you're interested +436643706983
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tom Doc, Have a great time you two, I'm still telling the story of your 6 powder days on the trot in December.
I have now had more powder days than any normal season and it's only the 7th Jan.
You should have asked for a chains lesson when you were here, Nina could have shown you Toofy Grin
P&N.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted since my OP, but I didn't get back to the computer before we left and WiFi was dodgy in Ramsau.

We had a great week - 4 days fresh powder out of 6! Not quite up to the standards we set in Morzine with DallyPaul but not too shoddy.

The hotel was very comfortable, but I must admit the welcome wasn't a patch on the one we got in Morzine from Nina and Paul.

jacklovessnow4 - next time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy