Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody any experience of hand-warmers or heated gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
Having had a slight brush with mortality recently, I have been left with limited circulation in my left arm. The result is that my left hand gets cold very quickly. I have been passed fit to ski, but must beware of frostbite. I was thinking some sort of electrical system might be worth a try, or maybe frequent cafe stops is the answer. Anybody any suggestions?

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish, Cold hands are something I live with and have tried many solutions................my mother's tip ( a jacket potato in each of your pockets will keep your hands warm on a cold day) yes ok mother! Apart from mashed potato if you happen to take a tumble not great! I do use the Little hotties handwarmers that you throw away after 8 hours of lovely warmth. They are fab. I use mittens to help circulation and always have toasty hands when skiing. I have tried battery warmers in gloves, silk liners, you name it but the Little Hotties are a must for me when skiing. Bought in bulk on ebay.
A mug of warm gluwein helps tho Blush
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I do use the Little hotties handwarmers that you throw away after 8 hours of lovely warmth. They are fab.

I'd agree with this. I don't often need them, but always have a pair with me in case. They take a while to warm up and it's important to use them before your hands get really cold. For someone with a specific problem I'd advise getting them started before you leave the warmth of your accommodation, and using them permanently.

Less than the cost of a coffee. I think some handwarmers are more effective than others - I have a lot I bought cheap in Decathlon last year, which are fine but not the best I've had. And yes, definitely mittens (apart from being inherently warmer than gloves these mean you can shuffle the warmer thing down across the base of your fingers, when on a chairlift, then shuffle them up into the palm of your hand, to hold your pole, when skiing)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right then, off to Decathlon by the looks of things. I want some of their silk liners as a minimum. Thanks for the help and advice. Nearly spent big money on electrically heated gloves, but reluctant to ditch the Goretex ones I trust.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish, I am sorry to hear that.

My OH has developed quite severe Reynaud's disease and found the little handwarmers quite inadequate (as it's the tips of her fingers that get coldest).

However, this is a problem that has been much investigated by motor bike riders as you might imagine and so she now wears a pair of these: http://www.championmotouk.com/product-info-mc.php?Klan-Lycra-Heated-Undergloves-pid11106.html - she has the version that connects to a Li-Ion battery pack. Work like a treat - charge lasts all day.

They are thin enough to go under her much loved leather racing gloves as well. She hates mittens.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, My son has cold hands and warm inners, mitts, very expensive gloves etc have had little effect. We bought a load of the gel things that have a little metal 'element' inside which you 'click' - the gel then heats up and hardens, and you get an hour or two of good heat, they then gradually cool down.

Benefits:- They do the job fine, and are easy to pack and carry around.
Negatives:- A bit of hassle to re-instate to re-use - you need to put them in a pan of simmering water to do that, which is fine if you have access to a kitchen when you're away, but otherwise not Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've tried those "gel" things but they are very bulky for inside gloves holding poles, and a faff, and they don't stay warm very long. My tea bags stay warm all day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, can you let me know where the tea bag thingies can be bought please? Might be worth a try for Son No1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniepen, we have bought the tea bag type in Snow and Rock, ski shops in various resorts but a couple of years ago my youngest son bought me a large box of them in Costco which were remarkably cheap. So if you can get to one of those you might find them there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pamski, thank you! As luck would have it, we intend going to Costo tomorrow Very Happy Will have a look
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anniepen, Decathlon have them, but not always (at least that's what I've found in Albertville). I grabbed a big box which was going cheap at the end of last season. they're really useful, and take up no room in a pocket. One day I was able to give some to a very sad little French girl, who was crying with cold hands in a restaurant. My contribution to the entente cordiale that day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anniepen, Decathlon in the UK have them in too. I tried them for the first time this year, always had them never needed them, they were HOT! I'd be careful giving them to a child and think they would be best between a liner and mitt, they were too hot to keep next to the skin for long.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, I have used the little handwarmer pads in my gloves a couple of times and found then great when the temperature plummets. The last ones I bought were in local French supermarket that had them on special offer! I always carry some just in case as well as another pair of gloves in case one lot get wet Laughing
We just have to decide where to go to try out your new silk gloves rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zippo-Handwarmer-High-Polished-Chrome/dp/B0034C6GDG/ref=pd_sim_kh_1?tag=amz07b-21

Those are a little more permanent and offer 12 hours of warmth... maybe worth a go?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again. I bought silk gloves and heat packs from Decathlon this afternoon, and I am pretty confident that with two bookings for the sunny, southern, Italian side of the Alps I will be OK.

After what I went through at the hospital this week, the chance to ski again, even in brief spasms is like a second life. If that blob had turned left instead of right I might not be here!

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Really sorry to hear that, hope everything is alright. I find inner/outer gloves keeps my hands very warm, that should do the trick.
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Shocked sorry to hear about your brush with mortality. Hope you manage to find something to keep you warm.
latest report
Colin B, I feel fine. "Arterial blockage there... ooh, that's "tiger country" think we will leave it alone. Get lots of exercise and lose some weight. " Would exercise above 1800m be good, I asked. Yes, but don't get cold.

snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, sarah, Thanks

Chris Bish, hope the fresh air does you good Very Happy
snow report
Anniepen, FYI i bought 40 pairs of Little Hotties for 19.99 off ebay, so much cheaper than Decathlon and they will last me 2 years as did the last lot, just a thought anyway Smile
ski holidays
Chris Bish, ugh and double ugh. good luck!
ski holidays
Quote:

After what I went through at the hospital this week, the chance to ski again, even in brief spasms is like a second life.

Sounds grim. Hope those holidays do the trick. snowHead
snow report
pam w, To be honest, I got off lightly. It could all have been a lot worse. I am just left with some numbness and tingling in my left hand and a lack of circulation. I need to be wary of frostbite, that is all. Bit of a wake-up call regarding my weight and alcohol comsumption. Thanks to all for kind and concerned thoughts.
snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, hugs to you and Bev xx
snow conditions
We have just booked a bargain trip to Claviere with Crystal along with Jon, Linds and another friend of hers for next Sunday. I feel a million dollars!

snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I feel a million dollars!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Hope all goes well good luck, I use the Only Hot hand warmers and also sell them on our site, give me a shout if you want a few to try out will happly send a few to you FOC to see if you like them. Very Happy
latest report
That is very kind. I have pmed you my address.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, Thanks, will send some in the post to you Monday Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hells Bells, Thanks for the hugs - ski holiday booked with a nurse and Linds for company. They can either take care of him or harvest his organs, it depends if he behaves or not! Toofy Grin
snow report
My organs will remain untouched - nurses or not!

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Shocked so glad you're OK! Scary!

I will refrain from linking your last post with reminding you that exercise is good for you. Because that would be needlessly coarse. Little Angel
latest report
Chris Bish, sorry to hear about your news. Sad But happy to hear it hasn't dampened your spirit. Very Happy Hugs from me too. xx
ski holidays
bev bish wrote:
Hells Bells, Thanks for the hugs - ski holiday booked with a nurse and Linds for company. They can either take care of him or harvest his organs, it depends if he behaves or not! Toofy Grin
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Chris Bish, Wot everyone else said. have a great holiday
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Having had a slight brush with mortality recently, I have been left with limited circulation in my left arm. The result is that my left hand gets cold very quickly. I have been passed fit to ski, but must beware of frostbite. I was thinking some sort of electrical system might be worth a try, or maybe frequent cafe stops is the answer. Anybody any suggestions?

snowHead

The key to keeping the hands and fingers warm is to keep the wrists warm.

The wrists are where large(ish) blood vessels are close to the surface and the blood chills fast.

Buy some good wrist warmers that keep the midarm to midhand area fully covered.

Wrist warmers are all over the Web and in ski stores.

Combined with heated gloves, you will never be cold.

Warmer wrists = warmer blood = warmer hands.

Get well soon.
snow report
I have built-in wrist warmers in both my thermals and my ski jacket. They do stop the draught .
ski holidays
Maplins to heated gloves - they won't be the greatest quality on earth, but they will almost inevitably be very warm.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electric-heated-premium-gloves-medium-large-531709

Worth a punt for £14.99, perhaps you can ski as normal, and any sign of colder weather closing in you can hit the heater and get yourself home.

I would also advocate some well insulated mitts. I have to remove mine regularly in anything other than seriously cold temps because they just get too hot.
snow conditions
Monium, That's a good suggestion - perhaps carry them in case of emergency. Thanks also for the ideas about wrists. I will investigate that one. I went for a long walk today wearing my usual best ski gloves and nice pink silk liners from Decathlon. OK, it was pretty mild, but I kept warm. My circulation seems to be improving every day. I am taking those low-dose soluble aspirin to thin the blood, which seems to help. I have been very lucky, I think.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, keep taking those tablets.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy